Sign in to follow this  
Gamekid

Duplicate files

Using the program, easy cleaner, I have a list of duplicate files that are part of microsoft office. I have listed an example

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033(2)\GR8GALRY.GRA

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033\GR8GALRY.GRA

As far I as know, when any program is installed, you have a set of files that make up that program. If the same program is installed again, then you have a second set of files with the number 2 in () because you can't have two file names in the same place. So what should I do with the above? Put the one with the 2 in the recycle bin? Leave it be?

Using the program, easy cleaner, I have a list of duplicate files that are part of microsoft office. I have listed an example

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033(2)\GR8GALRY.GRA

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033\GR8GALRY.GRA

As far I as know, when any program is installed, you have a set of files that make up that program. If the same program is installed again, then you have a second set of files with the number 2 in () because you can't have two file names in the same place. So what should I do with the above? Put the one with the 2 in the recycle bin? Leave it be?

I don't think I would be messing around with any dup files, It might be needed

I scanned my system a few years back and got rid of a few files that it showed being duplicates I deleted it and what do you know ,I had to reformat to get windows back so I would not mess with any program that scans for duplicate files. I have even heard of someone deleting what they thought was a duplicate photo and after they rebooted ,windows would not start so if I was you I leave it be.If you are in need of more space get rid of some junk programs you dont need Like movies and songs pictures burn them to disc and get them off do a clean house but dont run that duplicates scanner.

I don't think I would be messing around with any dup files, It might be needed

I scanned my system a few years back and got rid of a few files that it showed being duplicates I deleted it and what do you know ,I had to reformat to get windows back so I would not mess with any program that scans for duplicate files. I have even heard of someone deleting what they thought was a duplicate photo and after they rebooted ,windows would not start so if I was you I leave it be.If you are in need of more space get rid of some junk programs you dont need Like movies and songs pictures burn them to disc and get them off do a clean house but dont run that duplicates scanner.

I had an issue where I had two folders that had the name iTunes and iTunes(2). No files were involved though. Did the duplicates that you saw have any two's in ()?

I had an issue where I had two folders that had the name iTunes and iTunes(2). No files were involved though. Did the duplicates that you saw have any two's in ()?

I can't remember But I understand what you are saying its like if I go and edit a photo and want to save I put a number or letter to the new one or it will not save the org I just would make 100% sure it is not needed."You only learn by your mistakes "If you delete someting you needed you might can do a system restore before you deleted it But somethings if you delete will not restore and you will have to reformat or renstall what ever program you messed up.

I can't remember But I understand what you are saying its like if I go and edit a photo and want to save I put a number or letter to the new one or it will not save the org I just would make 100% sure it is not needed."You only learn by your mistakes "If you delete someting you needed you might can do a system restore before you deleted it But somethings if you delete will not restore and you will have to reformat or renstall what ever program you messed up.

The idea that I use is that if I have a few folders with numbers in them. I put them in the recycle bin to make sure that I don't really need them. With the microsoft files, some of them had a two in the file name which means that I have an extra copy. If you install a program, what would a program wizard install two sets of files when you only need one set?

The files marked (2) are not the most recent files installed; check the creation date in file properties. you get these extra files when the same software is installed without uninstalling original. I delete these extra files.

With the size of HD's these days a few duplicated files dont do much really. Sometimes its better to be safe than sorry, tho i understand your thinking. I was that way, but i soon learned to not worry over duplicates bcus like jackpot316 said above, you just dont know if its needed or not and you do hear some horror stories when people go deleting thinking its not needed. I used to format quite a lot when i was new on here bcus id delete stuff and things would screw up. I have since learned and ive never had to format in over 3 years i think.

Keith

With the size of HD's these days a few duplicated files dont do much really. Sometimes its better to be safe than sorry, tho i understand your thinking. I was that way, but i soon learned to not worry over duplicates bcus like jackpot316 said above, you just dont know if its needed or not and you do hear some horror stories when people go deleting thinking its not needed. I used to format quite a lot when i was new on here bcus id delete stuff and things would screw up. I have since learned and ive never had to format in over 3 years i think.

Keith

Why have a duplicate in the first place such as what I first posted on here?

Why have a duplicate in the first place such as what I first posted on here?

Maybe some programs create them as a precaution maybe?.

Havnt really thought much of it if im honest.

Sometimes when you uninstall a program and then it gets reinstalled they will create duplicate folders then. Maybe that only happens on poorly written programs??. Bcus sometimes when you install a program if the same folder exists it usually says so and asks if you want to replace it. Rather than create a new folder with a (2) in it.

Also certain programs will make duplicates of user files. Think along the lines of photo apps. Usually they would have a .copy or .bk extension tho. Obviously that behaviour should be able to be changed via the said programs options menu.

I dont know the reasoning behind it all, and like i said i stopped trying to think about it a long time ago...lol.

Keith

Edited by doofus

Maybe some programs create them as a precaution maybe?.

Havnt really thought much of it if im honest.

Sometimes when you uninstall a program and then it gets reinstalled they will create duplicate folders then. Maybe that only happens on poorly written programs??. Bcus sometimes when you install a program if the same folder exists it usually says so and asks if you want to replace it. Rather than create a new folder with a (2) in it.

Also certain programs will make duplicates of user files. Think along the lines of photo apps. Usually they would have a .copy or .bk extension tho. Obviously that behaviour should be able to be changed via the said programs options menu.

I dont know the reasoning behind it all, and like i said i stopped trying to think about it a long time ago...lol.

Keith

I'll take your word for it.

I'll take your word for it.

Dont take my word for it.....lol.

Im just going by what would make sense to me. And what makes sense to me may not make sense to someone else. Keep googling around and asking on here. Maybe you will get the answer that your looking for.

Keith

Dont take my word for it.....lol.

Im just going by what would make sense to me. And what makes sense to me may not make sense to someone else. Keep googling around and asking on here. Maybe you will get the answer that your looking for.

Keith

I won't worry about duplicate files then. Unless I have duplicate folders or something.