Sign in to follow this  
d0nut

Internet loss. Any suggestions?

I am currently running on my laptop, as my desktop will no longer connect to the internet. It was playing up for a couple of weeks previous to baling out altogether, and I had to keep powering down to re-connect. I have replaced the ethernet card, but to no avail. My laptop works fine using the same connection. Any suggestions as to the possible cause welcome.

Thanks in advance.

d0nut

Are you running a router to your broadband connection? Simple hub or switching out each system strait to the broadband connection?

Are you using a wired connection for the desktop? If you are and have a router try direct connection to the modem from the desktop. If you still can't connect then I'de replace the cable from the desktop to the router.

Thanks, Mouse and Kram. I am feeding my cable directly into my modem, and from the modem straight into the ethernet socket on my mobo. The same cables and modem are fine on my laptop. Forgot to mention that if I call my ISP, they connect me with a new IP address which is OK usually until I power down, sometimes before.

Edited by d0nut

I know that my ISP only gives one ip address per mac address at standard rate. The only options I had was to either get a router which only pulls one ip but shares it with however many ports are on the router, pay extra for the extra ip address or turn off the modem and reboot it when I wanted to give a different system an internet connection. I choose the router. Not only is it cheaper in the long run, but it's the best firewall money can buy.

Edited by KRAM

Linksys makes a sweet Wireless-G router that has Speed Boost that will give your laptop internet speed just like it was wired strait in from a wireless G card which most laptops have. The model is LINKSYS WRT54GS.

If you like a wired connection again Linksys is my router of choice :clap:

This Linksys router I pointed out is both wired and wireless and I agree mouse Linksys is the only way to go. Edited by KRAM

That would be a nice choice if you don't mind having to strait wire in your laptop. I have used that same model several time and pleased with it every time.

Well, back to square one. :( Haven't got my router yet, but this morning I lost my internet connection again. I got the dialog box, Limited or no connectivity. When I phoned the useless Virgin helpline (in India) to reconnect me, their so-called technical advisor said that it was down to my firewall. I told him he was talking utter rubbish, as this was exactly the same problem that I had all along. I have bought a brand-new computer (£400) on their advice and still lose connectivity. This is the worst helpline experience I have ever had. On one occasion one of their 'techies' even asked me to reverse my ethernet cable connections, connected me, and said that was it, cured. I think they just have a list of things to tell customers, hoping they will go away.

When I get my router, will it help to prevent this sort of thing? Up to now, it has been very expensive and frustrating. I am pretty fed up with it all.

d0nut

The router may not solve your problem it maybe an ISP problem but this is where it gets tricky since you need to elevate it to Level 2 tech support. In that case you may get someone who is not in India who can really help you. Level 1 tech support works off a script with a maximum of 15 minutes to solve the problem. It's very possible that the problem might be with the ISP equipment or with your telephone lines. You have to be very stubborn and not let go until the problem is solved.

First you have to eliminate any possible problem at your end, then you need the phone company to assure you of a clean line single then you can fight the good fight with your ISP Level 2 tech support it may take some time but it can be made to work :sparkle:

From your original post I gathered you where having a problem with one system connecting just fine but when you switched to the other it lost the connection.

I am currently running on my laptop, as my desktop will no longer connect to the internet. It was playing up for a couple of weeks previous to baling out altogether, and I had to keep powering down to re-connect. I have replaced the ethernet card, but to no avail. My laptop works fine using the same connection. Any suggestions as to the possible cause welcome.

Thanks in advance.

d0nut

I did not know that you were getting complete connection lost for both systems? Complete connection loss can be a number of things. Most of the time on the ISP end. It's possible that the router could fix this issue as it renews your connection evey 24 hours I believe and lets your ISP know not to drop your ip.

Edited by KRAM

Thanks, mouse. Don't know what you mean by level 2 help. Can you clarify?

Kram. I bought the laptop because the so-called advisers told me that my desktop was faulty. Not exactly money down the drain, but I really didn't need another computer. The helpline, by the way, costs 25p (50c) a minute. If it turns out that the fault lies with Virgin I shall demand a refund of these not inconsiderable charges.

d0nut

Forgot to mention that I get my TV, phone and internet service from Virgin. No other company involved.

Edited by d0nut

Have they ever sent you a different cable/dsl modem to see if that fixed your issues?

They reckoned that they'd checked my modem and cable, and all was well. I shall ask for an engineer to call, now. Must have spent over £20 on phone calls. Want every penny back!

They reckoned that they'd checked my modem and cable, and all was well. I shall ask for an engineer to call, now. Must have spent over £20 on phone calls. Want every penny back!

Hard to believe they charge you for tech support. What a crappy outfit they are.

Level 2 tech support is always in your country (not India) because they have to be able to deal with actual ISP hardware which Level 1 can't do. Charging for tech support is simply awful :nono: The way I got to Level 2 was to call the billing department and they were kind enough to tranfer me to Level 2 :geezer:

If your not able to connect or stay connected it sounds like it could be the modem or the phone line. If connect a phone line to the line you normally connect to the modem you can check for noise on the phone line if there is any noise at all it can cause the connection to drop. Sorry but I don't think you should have bought a laptop to solve a DSL connection problem since that doesn't pass the smell test as a solution.