Sign in to follow this  
d0nut

Some questions about Linux

I am currently experiencing, not for the first time, time-consuming problems with Windows XP (see my post in the Virus, Spyware section) and am seriously considering going over to Linux.

I have two 40 gig hard drives on my PC. Could I install Linux on the D drive? (Windows is on C). Also, how would I transfer my folders, files etc to the new OS? Is this straightforward? Would the change impact on my website, uploading, etc? And the most important question; I consider myself only average when it comes to being computer savvy. Would I be capable of carrying out the installation?

Answers on postcards please. :)

d0nut

i can answer a couple of your questions.

1) yes you can install linux on drive d

2) yes it is straightforward ( if i can do it then you can to)

3) like i said if i can install it then you can to. its so easy a caveman can do it.

i can answer a couple of your questions.

1) yes you can install linux on drive d

2) yes it is straightforward ( if i can do it then you can to)

3) like i said if i can install it then you can to. its so easy a caveman can do it.

Thanks a lot. Which version would you recommend?

When you speak of your website, uploading, etc are you building your website yourself? If so what program are you using to build it?

Installation should not be a problem. My advice would be delete the partition(s) on that drive and the Linux install will pick out that drive for itself. It will do the partitioning and formating for you.

Personally I would go with openSUSE 10.2 if you have a DVD burner.

When you speak of your website, uploading, etc are you building your website yourself? If so what program are you using to build it?

My site is up and running (see link at bottom of post). I use NVU web authoring and Filezilla ftp client.

Filezilla and NVU are platform independent. In other words they both will run on just about any operating system.

Filezilla and NVU are platform independent. In other words they both will run on just about any operating system.

Thanks, Bruce. I have just ordered the Knoppix CD to see how I get on with it. If it goes down well, I'll get a bit more ambitious. :)

I didn't like Knoppix at all. I personally use Ubuntu. It has a windows migration assistant built right into the install process that will detect your Windows drive, users, settings, IE bookmarks, etc., and import them into your new Linux install.

A year ago at this time, I didn't know Linux existed, and now it's my primary OS -- and I know very little about computers in the first place. So, it can be done.

www.ubuntu.com

You can download their live CD, burn it, and then run it right from the CD before installing it to get a feel for it.

i tried many live cds before making the leap. and so glad i did. my first install was suse 10.0 which bruce so kindly sent me and as they say .. the rest is history.

i myself like the KDE desktop but each his own. if you can burn cds or dvds i would try a few live cds and take it from there. there are some great people here to help with any question you may have and remember ....the only stupid question is the one not asked.

OK. Received my Knoppix CD today, but no instructions. Anyone can recommend a good online tutorial? Don't want to install it and make a hash of it. :)

Edited by d0nut

Last time I checked you can't install Knoppix. It's a livecd, usually used for demoing linux or fixing a broken os. :)

Sorry, meant 'run' not 'install' :)

Yes, Kram, I have.

Thanks, also, xXenXx

to run any live cd or dvd just set you cd and or dvd player to boot first , then put in cd and reboot .the rest is easy.

also i just looked on the knoppix forum and it can be installed to your hdd. here is the how to for it. http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation

hope this helps

Yes, Kram, I have.

Thanks, also, xXenXx

Just my personal opinion you would be better off downloading a more main stream distro like openSUSE 10.2 or Ubuntu and burn it to DVD (openSUSE) or CD (Ubuntu).

Just my personal opinion you would be better off downloading a more main stream distro like openSUSE 10.2 or Ubuntu and burn it to DVD (openSUSE) or CD (Ubuntu).

Well, just ran the disk and I love it. I shall send for the openSuse distro on CD I think. Looks like a big download. Linux definitely for me :)

I just dig openSUSE. It has just about everything you can want on the DVD and anything else you need is easy to install. Wait till you get your system rocking with some cool desktop managers like Beryl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NJFd37-erA

I've ordered the DVD version. Saves contending with five CDs.

Good choice and I believe Bruce said the DVD actually contains more stuff than the 5 cd's. I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Edited by KRAM

I already did, I gave it to my brother-in-law. He is from England and I love to torture him :rofl3:

The picture is pretty old now, taken when I did my comparison.