Sign in to follow this  
stuart2

Office 2007

I am curious if anyone has any information or feedback about Office 2007. I am considering upgrading my Office 2000 and can purchase authentic versions of Office 2003 or 2007 at a disccount.

My concern is that 2007 is so new that I wonder about bugs/problems and whether I should wait a while before making that move.

Does anyone have any input as to which version I'd be more satisfied with?

:h3lp:

Well to be completely honest with I have bought office 2007 for a whole 22$ (if you have a .gov or .mil email adress google office 2007 military and you can get also) I myself thinkit was a waste of 22$. I had office xp prior and liked it alot more. It took me about 5 min to figure out how to print in the new format. also i have noticed (mainly in excell) that when I go to open a file the excel page opens but no data on it just blank if I let it sit for like 5 min it will pop up (not a computer issue... c2d oced to 3.4 2 gig ram 8800gtx) or I can just hit the minimize button and it will min then pop right back up with all data shown. This is in both xp and vista. I think it was suppose to be designed for the exteme novice in mind other than commen functions which are hard to find. In many ways for novice users it may be great as it has many options for premade formulas and so many other views and buttons that just make it sick for me. I am use to just click tools.. view.. whatever and selecting what I want to do. Now you have to click on a tab (good luck thinking that what you want would be under the tab that you think it should be) then adjust the veiws until you find the function that you want. I would stick with office xp!!!!!! In my opinion office 2007 is about as much of an upgrade as is Vista..... Thank you Microcrap for great products once again.....

i dig it, but it takes a while to get used to the new design. once you do, however, you'll find it's much easier to navigate and find stuff.

As with other versions of Office, earlier versions may have difficulty reading the latest format.

For example, a local university has been promoting sale of Office 2007 to students and faculty.

The university itself has not yet adopted the use of 2007 on its systems.

This has led to sporadic gaffs and frustration as students complete online assignments with their Office 2007, or instructors complete course preparation work at home, only to find that their finished product isn't readable or does not accommodate to the universities aging audio-visual equipment.

As before, Office provides the option to SAVE AS, in a previous version format.

Users of Office 2007 may be using the SAVE As, option more often that previous version users.

Best Regards

I ran the Office 2007 beta before it was released and I was pleased to discover that some of the quirks I didn't like had been fixed for the final release.

I think, Stuart2, the radically different layout is what makes O-2007 uncomfortable and difficult to use for so many people. I would suggest customizing the Quick Access toolbar as much as you can. With a little bit of time spent tracking down those favorite functions, you can create a Quick Access toolbar that puts all the stuff you use regularly right at hand, no matter where Microsoft chose to hide it. You can use the help function, I think, to access a "what it was - what it is" chart or table. It seems that most MS Office users do NOT do much customizing, instead relying on menus that offer most used and recently used items first, before displaying the entire menu.

All of the old Word and Excel stuff is still there, just hidden for the most part. Many of the ribbon sections, if clicked in the lower right corner, open up to a dialog box that is the exact same one found in earlier versions.

I am an extreme customizer of my tool bars and initially disliked the Office 2007 changes. Even the final version that had the improvements I hoped to see rated merely an, "it's okay". But after a very short period of regular use - and a couple teeth-gnashing, hair-pulling incidents when I stopped in the middle of something to add more items to the Quick Access tool bar, I've gotten used to it, enjoy using it and still have intriguing new features to explore, like Quick Parts.

Edited by neophyte713

I had a major issue with Outlook 2007 which I believe has to be installed separately. Admittedly I had the trial version but the amount of times it crashed was unbelievable.

To answer your opening post if it was me I would buy Office 2003. Its tried and proven and very stable. Outlook 2003 even allows you access to the stationary codes (if ever you need it) which 2007 doesn't.

Personally I can't *believe* they made .docx the default for saving in Word with 2007. Aside from the fact that OOXML is just as sh*tty as it is shady, they could have at least given it a couple years considering the likelihood that previous Word versions will still be prominent for a little while....

Check this out:

http://ooxmlisdefectivebydesign.blogspot.com/

Go with 2003 then download the office 2007 compatibility pack from Microsoft.. then you can open and save .aaax formats of 2007.

Or go 2007 then you can do both and have updates, SP1 for O2k7 did good. If you use outlook tho, remember to open another program first, like word or excel before you go into setup outlook on a NEW profile. A security update fubars on the intials input section when you first start, and hangs outlook, and never completes the outlook profile.

I use 2007 at home and work and I like it...but you have to get used to it. Just like any new release.

I stick with Openoffice through thick and through thin. It does far more than what I need it for, it's free, and it saves me the trouble of pirating Microsoft Office.

I stick with Openoffice through thick and through thin. It does far more than what I need it for, it's free, and it saves me the trouble of pirating Microsoft Office.

Same here. In my opinion OpenOffice is just as good, if not better, than the Microsoft alternative.

I have 3 licenses of Office 2007... Pro, Enterprise, and Ultimate. Cost... Free,15$,60$. OpenOffice doesn't support the new formats unless they save it as 2k3. The new formats are actually really nice... it compresses the file automatically among other things.

Microsoft Office finally is compressing documents it creates. It only took Openoffice doing it for 8 years for them to learn. And the version of Openoffice I use can, and does support Office 2007 files.

Edited by brandon