Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Windows Accessory Survey Results

i'm not sure it's possible for ms to bring in more customers. the computer manufacturers are their real customers. ms doesn't really have a true competitor for the mainstream, they don't have to be competitive.

i agree with what your saying, but the reality is that this is how the marketplace is.

Edited by badbinary

Good business practice brings more customers bb .

Not when you have a monopoly!

Then it is about squeezing every drip from your customers.

This is what would slow the movement to open source ! its a practical way of securing the future .

No it isn't, the last thing Microsoft want to do is get their customers thinking.

Microsoft finds it increasingly difficult to argue from a technical angle, it's products are hard to compare against OS X and Linux.

So Microsoft is now clinging onto its Empire with FUD, slowly but surely their Empire will dissolve, but the best thing they can do right now is squeeze as much blood as possible out of their customers.

No it isn't, the last thing Microsoft want to do is get their customers thinking.

Microsoft finds it increasingly difficult to argue from a technical angle, it's products are hard to compare against OS X and Linux.

So Microsoft is now clinging onto its Empire with FUD, slowly but surely their Empire will dissolve, but the best thing they can do right now is squeeze as much blood as possible out of their customers.

Literally all of the posts here I agree with, and after "thinking" about it, Microsoft has primarily glossed over its various Windows versions' GUI for years now, with some small improvements in networking . It's the hardware advances that have allowed more advanced applications to flourish. I hardly ever use their "freebee" Accessories, since they're so primitive. As for calculator's, I'd rather use my $9.95 calculator (don't usually need scientific functionality). So it's my humble opinion that the only thing that keeps Windows going is that application developers "still" keep it afloat by targeting M$'s OS before anything else. I must admit to not having much for experience with Linux or OSx, but am getting real close. I enjoy building new computers with the latest hardware technology, but after many years of experiencing application and device compatablity problems with the initial releases of Windows, I'm thinking that a plunge into one of the other OS's is on the near horizon. The question is, Linux or OSx? :pullhair::b33r:

Literally all of the posts here I agree with, and after "thinking" about it, Microsoft has primarily glossed over its various Windows versions' GUI for years now, with some small improvements in networking . It's the hardware advances that have allowed more advanced applications to flourish. I hardly ever use their "freebee" Accessories, since they're so primitive. As for calculator's, I'd rather use my $9.95 calculator (don't usually need scientific functionality). So it's my humble opinion that the only thing that keeps Windows going is that application developers "still" keep it afloat by targeting M$'s OS before anything else. I must admit to not having much for experience with Linux or OSx, but am getting real close. I enjoy building new computers with the latest hardware technology, but after many years of experiencing application and device compatablity problems with the initial releases of Windows, I'm thinking that a plunge into one of the other OS's is on the near horizon. The question is, Linux or OSx? :pullhair::b33r:

Linux would be the obvious choice, because you can get it for free so it doesn't take an awful lot of investment.

As for Apple, while its products are currently (in some ways) superior to LInux and (in nearly all ways) superior to Windows, I believe it too will follow the same route as Microsoft, over time. Microsoft, again, is only superior to Linux due to availability of professional quality studio applications.

Open Source really will be the future, it is simply a far more practical and sensible approach. Once it starts to bite a significant piece of the market there really will be no hope for the old fashioned closed-source methods.

I would argue you are wrong about Microsofts superiority to Linux due to availability of professional quality studio applications considering Hollywood atudio's are using Linux to create more and more of it's animated movies.

However you are correct about open source being the future, with countries like Germany having 40% of it's students using Linux and that number growing.

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=146320

I would argue you are wrong about Microsofts superiority to Linux due to availability of professional quality studio applications considering Hollywood atudio's are using Linux to create more and more of it's animated movies.

However you are correct about open source being the future, with countries like Germany having 40% of it's students using Linux and that number growing.

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=146320

Blender is indeed making an appearance in many new 3D movies. But really, nothing on Linux rivals Photoshop or any of the big movie editors. The GIMP does not cut it for several professional printers I have spoken to.

I have spoken to a few professional printers, all of which have said that the GIMP is not up to scratch when it comes to (To name a few examples) reflective inks, counterfoils, watermarks, edge-to-edge printing, etc.

Perhaps they should speak to people in Hollywood about studio quality graphics applications. :rofl3:

Right, they should speak to people from a different industry in a different field.

A financial mode would be nice for the calculator, something better thain paint for editing pictures, and or course your going to use word pad or notepad because how else are you going to be able to read that text document.?