Sign in to follow this  
Jacee

Windows Media Player Doesn't Play DVD's?

I have Vista Business...DVD's don't play back in Windows Media Player 11. A little pop-up tells me that I need the correct codecs and to click on the link...well of course I'm not about to pay $69 on up just to watch a DVD :blink:

I believe there are many others who think the same thing, so they go searching.

In the search for codecs, there are many dubious sites.

They won't give you what you need...but! you will get a wonderful "Vundo" infection along with {possibly} some rogue antispyware pop-up that says your computer is infected.

Most of these dubious sites are brought to you by ESDOMAINS :nono:

Be safe!.......Please, download Media Player Classic. It's free and works with Vista :mrgreen:

MPC 6.4.9.0

Download here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ackage_id=84358

Run in compatibility mode with XP SP2 (click on Properties to make sure)

Run as Administer.

Click "open DVD"... Put your DVD in and watch the movie :adios:

no problem playing dvd's with media center in vista ultimate. i wonder about media center in home premium?

Excellent tip Jacee.. I personally use Media Player Classic also and VLC player too..

But I really have to agree Media Player Classic, most likely play any kind of video or movie without a damn codec needed.

Definitely a 5 rating for this. :tup:

Works great on my Home premium! My DVD burner that I purchased was bulk package that came with the codecs on the manufacturers CD Rom. If you can also find the manufacturers name and model number, you can can usually go to their website and download it.

VLC will play just about anything. MPC isn't bad either.

Why someone would pay extra for the ability to watch dvd's is beyond me...

My visa computer won't even play videos correctly at all not just dvds. The sound gets ahead of the video and it just gets all wierd unless i use mpc

My visa computer won't even play videos correctly at all not just dvds. The sound gets ahead of the video and it just gets all wierd unless i use mpc

If anyone knows or remembers the same exact thing happened with Windows XP. At some point (service pack 2?, newer WMP versions?) playing DVD stopped with some pop up message that Microsoft could no longer include the codec which would allow everyone to *continue* to watch DVD's with WMP. So everyone had to go get the Codec some other way. I don't remember for sure if it was a money thing or some kind of copyright issue. I'm sure enough money thrown at it would have covered it. (Imagine getting a Home Entertainment System with a Media (Disk Player) that wouldn't play DVD's, that you had to go get something else to allow them to play????) :pullhair::nono::thud: Leave us carrying the white flag and surrendering :surrender:

I'm sure it was a boom for other companies, because I for one solved the problem when it originally occurred for me by purchasing PowerDVD Limited Edition or such thing. I still have that somewhere on a mini CD. Also PowerDVD full edition which comes with some DVD players/burners seems to add this capability to Windows XP. Is not the same true of Windows Vista?

I'm on a recent re-install of XP Pro and also put my older PowerDVD. DVD's seem to play just fine both from actual DVD's and from ISO's mounted with Nero Image Drive, in Windows Media Player. I'm using WMP 11.

---

Alan Spicer

http://www.marinetelecom.net

you must have changed it's setting. or you may need to reinstall your windows. -->butif you like to play dvd without buying any software just email me. <--

___________________________________________________________________________________

xmiktim,

If you have a competent suggestion that can solve a Member's problem............

Then post it openly in the Forum Thread for all to learn from. :)

If your suggestion is so dubious that it cannot stand the light of open posting, or is of questionable legal status circumventing copywrite or hacked software guidelines, then dispose of it, or just keep it to yourself. :nono:

Members: Beware of suggestions that are offered privately or via PM/email only.

xmiktim, -- This is not a good "first post" beginning for you.

Read the Forum Rules, particulary #7

7) Do not ask for, offer to supply, or post links to, copies of commercial software, MP3s, movies, CD Keys, Product Keys, Serial Numbers, etc. or other intellectual property for which you do not hold the copyright. Do not post full copies of copyrighted articles from elsewhere on the Internet, post a link to the article instead. You may discuss how to install and get any Peer to Peer Network program to work. This includes Kazaa, Bearshare, WinMX, and Limewire, just to name a few. However, any discussions on how to circumvent copy protection, obtaining any kind of illegal software, MP3's, movies, etc., will be removed without notice.

Doug

Good to see Media Player Classic as a winning tip. :)

I like it and have used it for more than a year. 5 points.

I use VLC in Linux, XP, and Vista. It seem to play about anything, and it's a nice, small little program that doesn't eat a lot of resources.

I certainly don't mean to hijack the thread away from MPC, but VLC gets the job done too.