Sign in to follow this  
jackpot316

Test your internet speed

7/512, getting what i should.

Posted Image

though i've finally figured out why me and my buddy in texas get CRAP ping in lan games w/ eachother. his c/o has to be out of austin which gives me a horrid ping at 175 while dallas give me about 75.

go figure

and while kb/s > kB/s is a difference of 8, don't forget the tcp overhead making the packet 10 bits long on average.

Edited by wdeydwondrer

Posted Image

Coast to Coast (CA - NY) Above

Short hop to nearby SF, below

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes, this is a sweet looking site. :clap:

This is Verizon FIOS results. Not too shabby I guess. They pretty much have their ducks in a row...

Unless you gotta call them and try to get through to the IQ-challenged lady on the automated system about who you are and what you want... :pullhair:

If you have VoIP or are thinking of getting same you can try this one out as well:

http://www.testyourvoip.com/

It tells me that to call Sydney from Dallas it is like calling next door, and that is true. There is absolutely no call degradation to Australia even with a ping around 200 ms to that part of the world. :clap:

Want to see slow try This is dailup for you.Posted Image

Well switched over to a hughes satellite system and made a big jump in my speed I can down load a 10mb program now and not have to good to bed and let it run now its done in less than a min very nice. Posted Image

Posted Image

Through a router with two xboxs and another computer gong at the smae time

I'll have to check again when i am the only one on line.

i get much lower pings on a dallas or houston server, but this grandecom server i always get high pings on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by badbinary

This is just me after a router and modem reset

Posted Image

This is with one xbox during game play ( not hosting)

Posted Image

Just my machine, sure is a big difference even allowing for the normal variables.

I had no idea that the xbox would suck that much bandwidth.

Posted Image

Edited by Bear

i get much lower pings on a dallas or houston server, but this grandecom server i always get high pings on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmmm. Something wrong there BB. I'm near Dallas and used the Mexico City one and got better ping than that. But then too, this test site never gives me as good upload as does the Pitstop. And there I get real low ping as well. Assuming your ISP has an optimizer tool and your puter has been set for best performance than maybe contact tech support and have them ping you themselves.

I once showed poor upload performance but healthy download and it turned out to be my router. They shipped me out a new one and problem solved.

Ever try DrTCP? http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

They can do a test on you and recommend some settings and implement them for you. I would be careful and do your homework about all those different settings though. Like it recommends a MaxMTU of 1500 but I found that I started to get losses if I went over 1492. My ISP (Verizon FIOS) is the one who put me wise to this site, so I trust it, sorta. But still know what you're doing when you make any changes. Tech support at my ISP gave me the ideal setting for my Tcp Receive Window but yours may be different so I won't go into specifics here about that pert of it.

Other than that, all I can think of aboiut the poor ping showing is maybe a kinked cable or maybe upgrading to cat 5e or better yet cat 6 just for extra good measure? Guessing here. Also might try pinging on your own in the DOS window (Run, CMD). I just tried pinging the UK (www.bbc.co.uk) and got 125 ms. You might try it on yours and see what you do.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As a footnote to my previous post, I went back and did the Austin one as well as the San Marcos one. There definitely seems to be a problem with the Austin one as well as any other problems you may be having:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As a footnote to my previous post, I went back and did the Austin one as well as the San Marcos one. There definitely seems to be a problem with the Austin one as well as any other problems you may be having:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Are you guys on a cable connection Because they are some really fast speeds ???

I guess it just depends on where you are and where you ping....my rateds on AT&T DSL Elite are up to 6mbps down and 768 up!?!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And, the jist of the situation is that I live in my worst speedtest result area....Fort Worth, TX...go figure...I do not see how I can register better in dallas which is at least 33 miles from me...and better in all the rest, except in FT Worth....where I live...hehe!!!!

Edited by dthurner10

Well, I did not take this test, because it demands FLASH player be installed (& I don't trust it as of late, but, that's just personal - this site's fairly well-known, & afaik? Reputable as well).

What I am wondering here is, who the heck rated this guy's post down, & why? I didn't, because it seems like a decent thing to try @ least.

* PLUS, afaik @ least? It seems like a legit enough test of online speed (even considering the fact a LOT of things can affect this, such as the hop transit you take to get to a particular server & if there's "lag" in them (i.e. - "internet weather conditions")).

A traceroute can show that much though... &, in a way? dthurner basically makes this point in the post before mine.

(STILL, it's no good reason for ME @ least, to go & "shoot down" jackpot's thread here... but, I see others' have - guys, don't you offer WHY you might "downrate" somebody else's post? I admittedly just "skimmed thru" the results, but, I didn't see any reaons in my look thru as to WHY someone rated his post down is all, & the reason I ask that.)

APK

Edited by APK

Well, I did not take this test, because it demands FLASH player be installed (& I don't trust it as of late, but, that's just personal - this site's fairly well-known, & afaik? Reputable as well).

What I am wondering here is, who the heck rated this guy's post down, & why? I didn't, because it seems like a decent thing to try @ least.

* PLUS, afaik @ least? It seems like a legit enough test of online speed (even considering the fact a LOT of things can affect this, such as the hop transit you take to get to a particular server & if there's "lag" in them (i.e. - "internet weather conditions")).

A traceroute can show that much though... &, in a way? dthurner basically makes this point in the post before mine.

(STILL, it's no good reason for ME @ least, to go & "shoot down" jackpot's thread here... but, I see others' have - guys, don't you offer WHY you might "downrate" somebody else's post? I admittedly just "skimmed thru" the results, but, I didn't see any reaons in my look thru as to WHY someone rated his post down is all, & the reason I ask that.)

APK

Did you rate it? I gave 5*'s, I like to know if I'm getting what I pay for.....

:geezer:

I am a newbie Terp from Indiana/Insight, soon to be comcast. My speed test download 4739/upload 939. What can I do to improve this? thanks terp my puter: HP zd7000 notebook/3.20 gigahertz pentium 4/512 memory/ XP pro/SP2. Is this the best I will get? Thanks Terp

I am a newbie Terp from Indiana/Insight, soon to be comcast. My speed test download 4739/upload 939. What can I do to improve this? thanks terp my puter: HP zd7000 notebook/3.20 gigahertz pentium 4/512 memory/ XP pro/SP2. Is this the best I will get? Thanks Terp

Shooot man! You've got it pretty good! See my results here: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?show...iew=getlastpost

thanks caintry boy I should not complain after looking at yours. hey I have a question, I clicked on faster speeds on the speedtest site, it showed T1 bandwidth, why is this so expensive? thanks terp

Did you rate it? I gave 5*'s, I like to know if I'm getting what I pay for.....

Not until now (right after I post this)... so, there ya go!

:)

* Anyhow, I can't see HOW anyone could rate this post "too far down" (as in 1), & also NOT mention why it was rated down.

I'll give it less than a 5, because you have to make note of the fact of the things I noted above, that a traceroute can show you no less, that CAN & DO affect tests like these... BUT, I won't rate it any less than 4 (editing in now, I rated it 4) SIMPLY because of "internet weather/traffic conditions" can make these tests SOMEWHAT less accurate really.

Still, it is a neat thing to test & see your results for, nevertheless.

APK

P.S.=> It's most likely best to use a variety of sites for it, & now I see you guys ARE putting up more tests of this nature (more "2nd Doctor's Opinions" etc., which is good)... apk

Edited by APK