Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Video: PC v. Mac - Apples to Apples Comparison

I must say, a rather unprofessional comparison.

Especially seeing how most *nix software runs on macs, and that will outweigh the amount of Windows software tenfold.

free software, better security, better reliability, overall a better operating system, these outweigh all of the' above.

As you were expecting, an Apple person does have a review to your comments.

You are correct that on some levels the PC does have many things going for it. Amount of software--yes--install base--yes--price--yes--but what you don't include is some very important information that any person considering making a purchase; What am I getting for the money?

I compared your selection of the $899 Dell, if price was the only object then I would say it won. But you don't consider that Dell doesn't always offer "FREE" shipping as Apple does--which can save anywhere up to $50, depending on location. Macs also have another price option that PC users don't--Trade-Ins!

I recently made such a move and traded-in my old 15 inch G4 700 iMac and got $400 for it. I used the trade-in to purchase a NEW 20 inch iMac--loaded!

Install base. While most businesses tend to go for PC's, many industries require or use Macs (publishing, photography, Hollywood). And now that Macs can run Windows natively at full speeds using Boot Camp--even in virtualization software--so you get two computers for the price of one! That's another plus for purchasing a mac.

Support. I have had experience with Dell, Gateway and HP and as far as top marks in this category, Apple Wins--take a look at the Consumer Reports article from March (I believe)--HP and Gateway have Poor to Fair support and Dell is Fair to Good. Apple receives an "excellent" rating. And, if you have an older Apple computer and you call Apple up they will help you no matter what.

Software. If there's a Windows program you need to use, run Parallels Desktop--or use an opensource project like Wine--and you'll be able to use it. And since Apple's OS X is unix based, there is more than ample software available and being developed for the use on the Mac than there ever has. More and more developers are moving to the Mac as a way to earn even more money than before. They can develop and test on one system for two or more platforms for one price.

Back to the Dell computer, it's video DDR2 card uses system memory to drive the extra 128 MB, while the Mac uses a dedicated DDR3 card--a comparable would have to be the nVidia 8600GTS, adding an additional $150.

The processor is a 1.8 Ghz while the Mac is a 2.16 at minimum for the 20 inch--a comparison would add $100 to cost of the Dell raising it to $999.

And then there is no Firewire, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Webcam, not even a Digital Flat Panel Display--an additional $142, less bluetooth.

After all that add all the extra garbage such as Anti-Virus, Spyware detection you need--which you could use ClamWin, a version of Clam Anti-Virus for Windows that costs $0 and works just a well as Norton and uses less space, is updated daily and did I mention FREE and available for the Mac too!

So the final total runs over the total cost of a Mac with shipping! The total price with all the above would be $1570 less shipping. Apple has free shipping and so does Dell currently, but you could get your Mac sent 2 day or Next day less than what Dell charges for 2 day combined. Next day shipping costs you $125 compared to just $46 on an iMac.

But to be fair, if you don't need anything like these above you can get the $899 computer...but why would you since you'd end up paying more later, than if you got it all at once.

So, if your going to spend your money wisely it would be beneficial to know all the facts before making a final decision.

And No, I'm not affiliated with any of the companies mentioned above. I'm a college student, working on my Associates Degree for Graphic Design.

:)

Edited by tolrodco

You can build your own PC though. For people who love performance, there is so much more hardware available for PCs.

it's completely pointless these days to purchase your hardware from apple. build your own, then install osx if you want the mac os.

Software? :lol: The big question is how much of that "free" addware, spyware, trialware for windows is actually useful?

How much does the average person spend on cleaning, scrubbing, douching, protecting, guarding, scanning, checking...................Windows? What is time worth?

What useful full version software comes with that "great" Windows PC?

You spoke about tolls, bridges..............yep plenty of tolls and bridges for Windows users, in fact it is a never ending process for them.

That said, if the only choice I had was Windows or Mac, I would purchase a Mac in a heart beat.

Of course because there are other cheaper, more productive, significantly safer, and with zero downtime, zero money and time spent cleaning, douching, scrubbing, spending, paying tolls I simply just use my computers. Use as in enjoy them and being productive.

Keep your shiny bridge it will make a great place to park all the ill windows computers.

My signature pretty much sums it it all up. ;)

This is true. I've never gotten a PC where there wasn't something I got rid of right out of the box, even Windows itself.

You could build your own, which I also do. But when you consider what you spend for what you get it still comes close or more to buying a new computer that has a warranty.

Installing OS X on a PC isn't as easy as inserting a DVD. To top that off, no other computer system out there is using UEFI in a consumer computer, it's still BIOS--even Windows Vista doesn't support it officially, Microsoft says that it might be included in a Service release like SP2 for XP.

i worked many hours on a windows pc just getting it to work half decent, i helped people clean there machines, most often i needed to wipe the drive clean and start over, name a mac user thats done this twice in five year's :laughing:

Well, since Macs aren't that common and are expensive, hackers don't make viruses for mac, also because Mac doesn't have as many developing tools.

The Average user doesn't know of the risks of the internet. Hell, I haven't formated my Computer in almost a year, last time I formated was because I switched motherboards, I don't run Anti-spyware, I run no firewall. All I do is defragment and have a Free Anti Virus software. My computer is on 24/7 and connected to the net 24/7.

Also, My dad owns 2 macs. And to tell you the truth, I'm not impressed. Hell, the iMac G5 came with a FX5200 GFX... crappy ain't it.

I have to agree with the Video. PC's beat macs. Sure the Software OS may be great, but with the limited amount of expandability, it really sucks.

Well, since Macs aren't that common and are expensive, hackers don't make viruses for mac, also because Mac doesn't have as many developing tools.

Nonsense. This is an absoloutely absurd concept, I assume you think the same of Linux.

What software runs the majority of web servers? Linux/Apache.

Web servers would be better targets for viruses, but whenever an exploit is uncovered it is fixed within a matter of hours.

OS X and Linux simply posses far superior security. For every viral exploit possible in Windows there is a hole Microsoft can't be bothered to fix.

Linux and OS X are completly different, Considering Linux is FREE. I know they have better security, but part of the reason they aren't attacked is because 80% of computers are windows.

Linux and OS X are completly different, Considering Linux is FREE. I know they have better security, but part of the reason they aren't attacked is because 80% of computers are windows.

They aren't that different, OS X uses alot of the BSD code and uses a free kernel. It isn't a matter of user base, it is a matter of good practise in code.

The Average user doesn't know of the risks of the internet. Hell, I haven't formated my Computer in almost a year, last time I formated was because I switched motherboards, I don't run Anti-spyware, I run no firewall. All I do is defragment and have a Free Anti Virus software. My computer is on 24/7 and connected to the net 24/7.

Also, My dad owns 2 macs. And to tell you the truth, I'm not impressed. Hell, the iMac G5 came with a FX5200 GFX... crappy ain't it.

I have to agree with the Video. PC's beat macs. Sure the Software OS may be great, but with the limited amount of expandability, it really sucks.

Have you actually used the Macs? I mean taken the time to do stuff with it? I agree that sometimes iMacs don't seem to have any expandability now that Apple has included many new features to these computers I expect that there will be much more possible with them. The graphics card is upgradable, so is the processor, ram, hd, dvd etc--though Apple won't give you support for it.

There have been several comments made that there isn't any developers tools, that's a bunch of bull! Get the Darwin Sourcecode and go to the developers website and who'll find thousands of individuals and companies developing for Darwin--and if your doing so, it's easy to port it to the Mac with minor changes to code. :P

I agree about the development tools.

In fact I would contend that there are more development tools for Unix/Linux based systems then there are for Windows.

The problem is when people go to Windows based sites that have a primary goal of serving Windows users, then what they find is an overwhelming number of Windows development tools.

Have you actually used the Macs? I mean taken the time to do stuff with it? I agree that sometimes iMacs don't seem to have any expandability now that Apple has included many new features to these computers I expect that there will be much more possible with them. The graphics card is upgradable, so is the processor, ram, hd, dvd etc--though Apple won't give you support for it.

Yes, and to tell you the truth, I hate that the progrmas don't close when you clik the x button, you have to eather go into the file, or use the q + (weird apple button) shotcut to quit. I hate that I can't rightclick and make a shortcut or delete a file. Its a neusance. I do like the fact that if it crashes, when it restarts, it'll continue whatever was going before the crash happened.

I agree about the development tools.

In fact I would contend that there are more development tools for Unix/Linux based systems then there are for Windows.

The problem is when people go to Windows based sites that have a primary goal of serving Windows users, then what they find is an overwhelming number of Windows development tools.

that is true. a few minutes of extra work and the comparison could have been more comprehensive.

Although the thought crossed my mind to include Linux, I decided against it because it is not really Apples to Apples. The reason is that for masses, Linux is not an easy enough solution. For example, it is almost unfathomable for me to think of my parents on Linux.

I am a big fan of Linux, but as of today, Linux is a niche product that has been embraced by Renaissance computer people. These are totally comfortable doing a format/reinstall, and take a certain amount of pride in getting a computer working just right. I admire these people, but they do not represent a large chunk of the computer community.

When I mentioned Unix/Linux development tools I didn't do it because of Linux, but because Mac OS X is a Unix derivative, and the number tools available is endless.

Interesting isn't it that Mac OS X is wiping the floor with Vista in sales at Amazon?

In fact in Amazons popular sales list OS X comes in at number 1 and number 3 and Vista comes in at...............................drum roll please, numbers 78 and 79 :rofl3:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/softw...;pf_rd_i=229534

leopard looks nice, but games have to come first in my book

is apple ever goin to open up support for amd's or nvidia 8800gtx's, if not already that might help some with getting developer support