Sign in to follow this  
Guest ntrgrrl

Cookies

Tools/Internet Options/Delete Cookies. Or you can go to c-drive/windows and find the cookie folder and do it there. :)

That would depend on your browser.

For Internet Explorer :

Open IE - click on the Tools button on the top of the page

Click on internet options

On the temporary internet files click on delete files

Then click on the Settings / View files click on files / select all and edit /delete all

Check the box when it asks if you are sure you want to delete.

Guest ntrgrrl

Thanks very much for your replies.

Your instructions are good news: I routinely clear cookies using these methods and it helps. However, how do I get rid of previous URLs from popping up in the address box when typing in a new one? I was thinking this was a cookies issue(?) the clear cookies methods you have explained don't work for this problem. Any suggestions?

Also, have you heard of the Eraser software? I heard about it months ago. I am wondering if this would work. It is shareware. Or, do you know of any freeware or shareware that would help with above problem.

Also, when I defrag or scan, they re-start repeatedly and I eventually cancel them. They take a very long time. I close out all programs, but that doesn't seem to help.

My computer runs more and more poorly and slower these days. I can't figure out what to do. It is running in the background while I type....Normal?

Thanks for any additional expertise you can provide on this issue...

Edited by ntrgrrl

:oreo:

I have a program called Internet Sweeper, which not only deletes cookies I don't want, but also cleans the index files which contain details of sites previously visited, recent files, drop down menus, and lots of other histories retained by the operating system.

It also allows the keeping of selected cookies, say those for this site, saves logging in every time, and for other sites regularly visited.

For private use, with a single splash screen, it's free.

Where did I get it? Can't remember, but most freeware or shareware sites should contain a link, or try here http://www.bmesite.com/ .

:mrgreen:

Windows Cleanup 3.0 is designed to clear out temp files, temporary internet files, all the various index.dat files, and MRU (Most Recently Used) lists.

Disk Cleaner 1.4.0a does essentially the same thing, but is not as thorough with index.dat as Windows Cleanup! is, but it's FAST!

I use both regularly with no ill effects. Both are Freeware. :) -kd5-

Edited by kd5

;)

KD5, that looks a great program, I've grabbed the latest version, and will check it out.

Internet Sweeper is still available but not being further developed. It has been replaced by a demo for another, no so free program. :angry:

Keep the information and assistance coming.

:mrgreen:

Sounds like you are using all the normal procedures for deleting cookies and history. If you just want to clear any url's from your browser address window, Right click on a blank spot on your taskbar/properties/start menu programs/clear/ in the documents menu section.

B)

Turn off "auto complete" to keep from storing the url addresses of typed urls. Right click Internet Explorer icon, select properties, click on the "content tab",click the Auto complete button, uncheck the three listings and click ok.

I got this program bundled with Zonealarm pro. It will wipe all traces from IE,netscape, and even recently used programs lists from windows. It's not free, but if you don't want anyone knowing what you have been up to, it works very well :shifty::mrgreen:

http://www.onlineprivacystore.com/products....shtml#readmore