Sign in to follow this  
Sweetpotato

Upload Speed

Hi

Usually your upload speed is blocked by your firewall so I would suggest you disable it before testing & enable after testing.

You do not have enough memory for XP. I would suggest you add a stick of 256MB giving you a total of 512MB.

Go back to your Summary & click on "Test Details" in upper right corner. Scroll down to the blue/gray Files & you will see these:

Name Vendor Complete File Name

WAOL.EXE America Online, Inc. C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\waol.exe

Sun Java Update Sun Microsystems, Inc. C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe

RealPlayer RealNetworks, Inc. C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe

Intel Hotkeys Intel Corporation C:\WINNT\system32\hkcmd.exe

AOL Services America Online, Inc. C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1102815759\ee\AOLSoftware.exe

Indexing Service Microsoft Corporation C:\WINNT\system32\cidaemon.exe

Indexing Service Microsoft Corporation C:\WINNT\system32\cisvc.exe

AOL LLC C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe

Compete, Inc. C:\Program Files\Consumer Input Rewarded with ... \ConsumerInputRewardedwithMyPoints,ConsumerInput.exe

Compete, Inc. C:\Program Files\Consumer Input Rewarded with ... \ConsumerInputRewardedwithMyPoints,ConsumerInputUa.exe

Zone Labs, LLC C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

Click on each one & you will be offered advice as to whether or not it should be running.

To increase you uncached speed, you could try the following:

Try removing the Disk Controller in Device Manager. To do this, go into Control Panel/ System/ Hardware tab/ Device Manager. Find the controller (It's usually going to be under "IDE ATA controllers" ) right click it and Uninstall. Then reboot.

There are usually three, so start with primary. You will have to reboot & run the test again to see if the uncached speed increased. Windows will reinstall each controller.

Let us know how you get along please.

Regards,

Hawk :b33r:

Hi

Usually your upload speed is blocked by your firewall so I would suggest you disable it before testing & enable after testing.

You do not have enough memory for XP. I would suggest you add a stick of 256MB giving you a total of 512MB.

Go back to your Summary & click on "Test Details" in upper right corner. Scroll down to the blue/gray Files & you will see these:

Name Vendor Complete File Name

WAOL.EXE America Online, Inc. C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\waol.exe

Sun Java Update Sun Microsystems, Inc. C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe

RealPlayer RealNetworks, Inc. C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe

Intel Hotkeys Intel Corporation C:\WINNT\system32\hkcmd.exe

AOL Services America Online, Inc. C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1102815759\ee\AOLSoftware.exe

Indexing Service Microsoft Corporation C:\WINNT\system32\cidaemon.exe

Indexing Service Microsoft Corporation C:\WINNT\system32\cisvc.exe

AOL LLC C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe

Compete, Inc. C:\Program Files\Consumer Input Rewarded with ... \ConsumerInputRewardedwithMyPoints,ConsumerInput.exe

Compete, Inc. C:\Program Files\Consumer Input Rewarded with ... \ConsumerInputRewardedwithMyPoints,ConsumerInputUa.exe

Zone Labs, LLC C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

Click on each one & you will be offered advice as to whether or not it should be running.

To increase you uncached speed, you could try the following:

Try removing the Disk Controller in Device Manager. To do this, go into Control Panel/ System/ Hardware tab/ Device Manager. Find the controller (It's usually going to be under "IDE ATA controllers" ) right click it and Uninstall. Then reboot.

There are usually three, so start with primary. You will have to reboot & run the test again to see if the uncached speed increased. Windows will reinstall each controller.

Let us know how you get along please.

Regards,

Thanks, i'll try that. Also, am in the works to get more memory. Can't wait ;)

Just one question. If I remove all 3 of these things, in the device manager and windows reinstalls these,why am I removing these? and will windows reinstall them automatically? Thanks. :)

Just one question. If I remove all 3 of these things, in the device manager and windows reinstalls these,why am I removing these? and will windows reinstall them automatically? Thanks. :)

Sometimes it will increase your uncached speed. If you uninstall one at a time, Windows will reinstall on reboot. Read THIS THREAD.

Regards,

Just want to make very sure I am doing this right. Under the IDE ATA/ ATAPI controllers, The first one reads like this Intel R 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage controller - 24 CB, under that it says primary, and under that secondary. So that is three. Is this correct? I just know that I could screw up an eight day parade and want to be sure. Thanks so much. :blink::):)

The first one reads like this Intel R 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage controller - 24 CB, under that it says primary, and under that secondary. So that is three. Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. Uninstall them one at a time & reboot. Run the test again & you will see if your uncached speed has increased.

Did you check the programs that are running which may also be the cause of low uncached speed coupled with the low RAM you are using?

Regards,

Yes, that is correct. Uninstall them one at a time & reboot. Run the test again & you will see if your uncached speed has increased.

Did you check the programs that are running which may also be the cause of low uncached speed coupled with the low RAM you are using?

Regards,

Thanks. I'll try that.I have shut off all the programs that I know to shut off,and am getting a 1GB stick of RAM for my computer. Hopefully this will help.

To find the type & speed of RAM you need, I would suggest you run a scan with the Crucial System Scanner.

That does not mean you have to purchase from Crucial. Could give eBay a try. :geezer:

Regards,

Just installed 1GB on top of my 256MG. Tested my computer and my upload speed is still slow. I'll shut off my firewall and do the test again. Cross your fingers :)

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=GCN3HW3XPMWSET0W

Ok. Removed all three controllers one at a time with a reboot and test and my speed went from 20 to 25 and 27 tops. Is there any other thing that could be causing this to be so slow? Thans for all of the help everyone has given to me. I am very thankful. :)

Be very careful doing this:

This manual adjustment changes the TCP Receive Window size and is recommended only for cable modem or DSL users running Windows XP.

To change your TCP Receive Window size:

Launch window registry editor by clicking on Start | Run .

Click in the Open dropdown box and type in regedit.exe then click OK .

Back up your registry by selecting File | Export type in a meaningful file name, in the export range section select All and save to your hard drive. To restore your old registry you simply import this file.

Next you need to create a new registry key. On the left side you need to go to the directory HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Select Edit | New | DWORD Value .

Rename the new registry key to TcpWindowSize.

Modify the registry setting for TcpWindowSize by double clicking on the key.

Change the Base Setting to Decimal.

Enter the value 64240 and click OK, then exit RegEdit.

For these settings to take effect you need to close all your open applications and reboot your system.

Did you check with Crucial as to the type, number of pins & speed before you installed the 1024MB of RAM?

This is how it appears in your test:

RAM installed 1280 MB

Windows RAM 1271 MB

Total RAM slots 2 Available RAM slots 0 Max

RAM module size 512 MB

Memory Type 256+1024;DIMM,?18,|Synchronous;T16

Speed Rating 5019 MB/s (92% of 1738 similar)

Regards,

I did check with crucial and did a system scan. Bought it from them. Why? Is there anything wrong? Freaking out. Also, with my upload speed, is it a case where it's because I have dial-up?

hello,

I don't see anything wrong with your new ram from the test here. As far as the TCP fix Hawk was meantioning, it won't work if you have dial up as he said.. Sure looks like you have dial up, and you just said you do even though you have a strange internet speed test. Strange being that your download speed shows >

116/Kbits/sec. Should be a max of 56Kbits/sec.

I think test here is messing up, try to take speed test here>> http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/default.asp ( scroll down to this box> Click here to Test Now ) and another one> http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/ "select the big box "start a personal test" and select "other" and dial up" let it run. Post back here speeds from both tests. No amount of ram will increase your internet speed tests. But read this> http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/intern...asterdialup.htm and this>

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/high-speed.htm Both fully explain how you can get the maxium speed from a dial up connection. Try the 2 speed tests above and post back here.

Wademan

I did check with crucial and did a system scan. Bought it from them. Why? Is there anything wrong? Freaking out. Also, with my upload speed, is it a case where it's because I have dial-up?

Sorry! :blushing: Should have asked that in the first place.

TCP Receive Window size and is recommended only for cable modem or DSL users running Windows XP. Not for dialup.

According to the test:

Total RAM slots 2

RAM module size 512 MB

RAM installed 1280 MB

Did you test your speed at other sites I posted? Also is your pc running great? Your test looks good. Even though it says max ram module size is 512. If you used crucial memory scanner and bought the Ram from them, then I think you are fine.

I never seen the crucial test mess up before. I have seen the PcPitStop test mess up many, many times. I would not worry so much about your upload speed. You are on dial up, and 25 Kbits/sec is VERY normal for dial up upload speed.

Wademan

Edited by Wademan

Did you test your speed at other sites I posted? Also is your pc running great? Your test looks good. Even though it says max ram module size is 512. If you used crucial memory scanner and bought the Ram from them, then I think you are fine.

I never seen the crucial test mess up before. I have seen the PcPitStop test mess up many, many times. I would not worry so much about your upload speed. You are on dial up, and 25 Kbits/sec is VERY normal for dial up upload speed.

Wademan

I checked my speed at the mcafee site and it read File size 150.005KB Time 26.125 seconds. I tried the other site 3times and couldn't get it to work. I have yet to read the other things quite yet but will. Thanks so much :) Also,my computer isn't hanging of freezing any.Yippie. Why would it say max ram module size is 512? Edited by Sweetpotato

I am just wondering if Crucial said 512MB per slot & a total of 1024MB?

I am just wondering if Crucial said 512MB per slot & a total of 1024MB?

I hope not. I paid for the 1GB on top of my 256. I will check it out thou8gh when I get home.

I hope not. I paid for the 1GB on top of my 256. I will check it out thou8gh when I get home.

Just went and checked my e-mail. It is 1GB that i ordered. I have 2 slots. One has the 256 and one has the1GB. :)

I think you are fine as far as your RAM goes Sweetpotato. I think test here may be incorrectly listing your max ram module size as 512, otherwise your new ram would not be working. If you are really concerned then try a much more detailed Ram test.

See here> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp You can read all about it in that link, and get the download from MS for "Windows Memory Diagnostic" You will need to put the "Windows Memory Diagnostic" on a floppy or burn to a cd. And run the test as instructed in the above link. As the link above says the whole process should take about 30 minutes for a one time pass of the Ram. And you can do a second pass as well, for a complete test.

However, I think if your pc is running fine, and the test here does see the ram installed, then you are fine.

Wademan

Although I always try to install the correct type, speed & amount of RAM per slot in my machines, I guess I am wrong in doing that so I stand corrected. :geezer:

Thanks for pointing that out Wademan. :)