Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Microsoft Surface

Not sure what other Apple products you are talking about but the Mac OS is far more capable then the Windows OS and certainly doesn't limit what you can do the Windows does.

I don't know about the Bruce. All versions of Mac OS up to 9.2.2 were inferior in every way compared to Windows NT & its siblings. Mac OS Classic pretty much had the same problems as Windows 3.1, namely horrible memory management, no preemptive multi-tasking, instability, pretty much everything wrong with Windows 3.1 was in Mac OS, up until the release of OSX.

Well Brandon I don't think Microsoft plans on using Windows 3.1 any more then Apple plans on using old outdated operating systems.

Well Brandon I don't think Microsoft plans on using Windows 3.1 any more then Apple plans on using old outdated operating systems.

I know, but you said Mac OS. :P

I'm not sure why Apple didn't go with OSX sooner... OSX is what brought Apple out of relative obscurity.

drm?

Digital rights management (DRM) is an umbrella term referring to technologies used by publishers or copyright owners to control access to or usage of digital data or hardware, and to restrictions associated with a specific instance of a digital work or device

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

bb i know what drm is, in fact i despised it from the day of its creation :lol:

what i meant was why would you consider it drm if you are honest, example: i can download music on my on my phone and pay 2 bucks per track and i can upload & store the music on my pc, but i cannot play the tracks on my pc or burn them to a cd, now thats drm :pullhair:

my intentions are not to share my music or sale them to others

so i will ask again, why is that drm ?

bb i know what drm is, in fact i despised it from the day of its creation :lol:

what i meant was why would you consider it drm if you are honest, example: i can download music on my on my phone and pay 2 bucks per track and i can upload & store the music on my pc, but i cannot play the tracks on my pc or burn them to a cd, now thats drm :pullhair:

my intentions are not to share my music or sale them to others

so i will ask again, why is that drm ?

I'd think it would be a security risk, What if I burned a 100 songs on cd for my car (legally) and then my car and all of my cd's get stolen. There goes my name and email addy to where ever who knows

when you buy your music they take and use your information anyway, they will always know who you are, if you get your music without paying they will know as well, your isp will know and your privacy getting into other hands is just a court order away :)

drm is far worse when you cant do what you wish with music you purchased with cash, you cant take someones cash and limit what they can do with the purchased product, that is just robbery !

I'm reffering to the water mark it would put on any cd disk that would be burned to cd on EMI music that you purchase from Itunes

With the launch of iTunes Plus, Apple's become the first to sell DRM-free music from a major label. Not included in the press release is the fact that all such downloads are watermarked, containing the user's full name and email address.

like i said, it's still drm. they can call it what they like, but by definition, it's drm, and much worse. it IS a security risk for yourself.

im sorry joe i dont see how this will affect an honest individual :shrug:

if someone stills your music that shouldn't reflect harm you besides the fact that you paid cash for them and you have a loss, though i can understand if someone stills all your music everyday for years then i may be suspicious of you :lol:

like i said, it's still drm. they can call it what they like, but by definition, it's drm, and much worse. it IS a security risk for yourself.

it just may be, if it doesnt affect the way i choose to hear my tunes its no bother to me at all, there giving me freedom to do as i wish with what i buy and i dont expect it to get better than that :)

so what they have your info, they always did except that now its in your music too!

im sorry joe i dont see how this will affect an honest individual :shrug:

if someone stills your music that shouldn't reflect harm you besides the fact that you paid cash for them and you have a loss, though i can understand if someone stills all your music everyday for years then i may be suspicious of you :lol:

What I'm saying is that, if I burn a bunch of EMI tunes and their watermarked with my name and email addy and they get ripped off and put on a P2P site, they have that info to come looking for me, worse yet, a cracker/blackhat gets that watermark and tries to go after me Edited by Joe C

i see what you mean joe, i think it will be fine, you can choose not to use itunes ;)

when bb speaks of watermarks and security threats it makes me wonder why he will not speculate about surfaces security :mrgreen:

lets face it, i dont do tansactions on an ms os, never will i :rofl2:

Back on topic.

Has anybody read any of the reviews on these PCs yet.....or perhaps bought one?

I actually read one where the guy complained about not getting the OS disk. :lol:

He was supposed to, it was a glitch, but so what? Ubuntu will send you multiple disks for free. I just had to chuckle.

Anyway...Dell's internal memos indicate they expect these PCs to represent less than 1% of the balance of the year's sales.

EDIT:

Oooops....wrong thread.....

Edited by Chopdoc

i see what you mean joe, i think it will be fine, you can choose not to use itunes ;)

when bb speaks of watermarks and security threats it makes me wonder why he will not speculate about surfaces security :mrgreen:

lets face it, i dont do tansactions on an ms os, never will i :rofl2:

What the bloody hell are you ranting about!?

Market choice, severity and the other 20 smokescreens you brought up have nothing to do with the definition of DRM.

By your method of thinking, DRM doesn't exist because you can always go out and buy the CD.

you are quoting the wrong post, if it is the correct post i dont know what your yackn about :rolleyes:

I was referring to several posts, so it is no more correct than any others.