Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Microsoft Surface

Let me translate the webpage

"Dear masters of satire (With special regards to uncyclopedia),

You are formally invited to rip the :filtered: out of us, we have even provided this web page as evidence. Yes, we have provided factual citation to satirical humour.

Yours desperately,

Microsoft"

This product definitely feels like a shot in the dark. First off it is closed architecture, so all the products that are introduced for it will be from Microsoft. More like the Xbox model, but wait this is for the professional marketplace. I can see them selling a few of these but I find it hard to envision that this becomes a volume product like say notebook pc's.

it's definitely not a product destined for the home, but it has the beginnings of technologies we will have in our homes in the not-so-distant future.

part of the process of innovation.

So, they take a coffee table, strip it of the ability to the ability to even hold coffee, and try to dump it on our customers.

It would be kinda nice to watch anatomical study videos on a table though.

yup, innovation just like the new file system that was put into vista...oh, that didn't work out as promised did it? ......never mind

I dunno what their smoking in them M$ pipes, but nice ideas anyway

Edited by Joe C

yep another way to obtain someone's identity and there cash while the hacker waits patiently rubbing his hands together saying give me the green baby :laughing:

If it was an open source project, I'd believe it

vendors can't get video,sound and printer drivers out to run on vista yet.

Edited by Joe C

From what I've seen, the table can do anything! When you're buying a cellphone, you can place it on the table to get a price, and even compare it with another phone. You can extract photos from your camera without using a cable. And blink cards? I swear people, did you not see the demo videos?

Edited by EclipseWebJS2

if this was apple, everyone would be praising it.

If it was Apple it wouldn't be announced until it was ready. If it was Apple it would work. If it was Apple it would be praised because it would be simple, easy to use, and do what it was designed to do.

All that said, I find it humorous that this technology has been out there for a while, that this technology was independently developed, but it somehow ended up being called a "Microsoft" innovation :rofl3:

apple's products stink. they are too simplistic and limited in usability. the ipods are loaded with drm and inherently limit how & what you can listen to.

Edited by badbinary

Gotta agree with BB here. Although I love my iPod, it's rather limited in fuctionality compared to Zune, or some of the other big name mp3 players out there.

G4 Cube anyone?

Edited by brandon

Zune only works with M$, from what I've heard not much different than the ipods (can't use another media player with them)

a glorified touch screen with wireless access to periferials? (sp)

I dunno, but we are all bashing M$ (for good reason, I admit) but maybe a little too early.

Personally, I dont care who invented the technology, what I just saw was very cool. Almost futuristic, even....wait, Isn't that what its all about?

I can see some bad things, but mostly I think WOW, I would love to have one of those!

Yeah, M$ may not be able to modify it and make it work right. I prefer to be optimistic and think that it IS gonna work (why do you all have to be so pessimistic anyway?) And you ALL KNOW that there will be open source "Surface computing" or Maybe "Table Surfing?" Its gonna happen, you know it will

I think I see where M$ is going to make their next $30 bill......

apple's products stink. they are too simplistic and limited in usability. the ipods are loaded with drm and inherently limit how & what you can listen to.

Apple Unveils Higher Quality DRM-Free Music on the iTunes Store

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/02itunes.html

I hardly see what an ipod has to do with computers.

However that said an Ipod does exactly what it was designed to do PLAY MUSIC. ;)

Not sure what other Apple products you are talking about but the Mac OS is far more capable then the Windows OS and certainly doesn't limit what you can do the Windows does.

Yeah, M$ may not be able to modify it and make it work right. I prefer to be optimistic and think that it IS gonna work (why do you all have to be so pessimistic anyway?)

Because after years of seeing the things they release there isn't much choice but to be pessimistic. I would love to be optimistic about a product they release, and actually have been a few times, then I fork over my money only to release that their smoke and mirrors marketing is just that hype, smoke and mirrors and 1/3 of what they promised.

Apple Unveils Higher Quality DRM-Free Music on the iTunes Store

Cool, I hope the other record producers follow EMI's lead in making drm free music, but at a $1.29 per song....ouch !!

Apples products are far too locked in. The Apple TV thing, for instance. And the iPhone.

The only way this table could work is if it was entirely open, but it isn't. I just know it will work with one or two phones, a few cameras and the Zune.