Sign in to follow this  
kscott

Vista friendly Firewall

I finally uninstalled that crappy McAfee that came pre-installed and now I'm in need of a compatible firewall that works well with Vista since zone labs haven't made one yet.

There isn't one I'm aware of yet, ZA have a beta and I think Comodo are getting closer as well, but currently your stuck with using vista's own one.

have a look at this list:

Firewalls / IDS's

AVG Internet Security 7.5 Now the firewall component its fixed and is full compatible with Vista x86/x64 (version 7.5.464+)

Bitdefender Bitedefender Internet Security 10

ESET Eset Smart Security Public Beta 1 (v3.0.128.0) (32-bit only)

Iolo Personal Firewall (32 bits only)

Jetico Personal Firewall v.2 (32 and 64 bits)

Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0.2.621 and newer (32-bit, 64-bit runs in 32-bit mode)

Kerio WinRoute Firewall 6.3

McAfee McAfee Personal Firewall 11.2 build 11.2.121

Microsoft Windows Live OneCare 1.5 NOTE: MS are currently (02/22/07) offering a 90-day trial for free. OK as an interim until some that actually work show up. (PT-BR unavailable)

Pc Tools Firewall Plus 2.0 (32 bits only)

Symantec Norton 360

Symantec Norton Internet Security 2006/2007 - NOTE: Download the latest version, more info here

Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 - NOTE: Get the latest version, more info here

Vista Firewall Control (native 32 and 64 bits) Incoming/outcoming program control

Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.1.044.000 beta (32-bit only) Running fine (check "known issues" at zone labs' site)

from this site:

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Wind...lls_.2F_IDS.27s

goodluck

Comodo is running fine on my laptop with Vista premium

The Comodo site says it won't work. I know other people have problems with it. Edited by Simonsells91

Interesting, I knew places were working on it but hadn't heard of one working yet, at least from the big hitters in that area, I'll have to give it a closer look once I get the board sorted, Thanks for the update.

have a look at this list:

Firewalls / IDS's

AVG Internet Security 7.5 Now the firewall component its fixed and is full compatible with Vista x86/x64 (version 7.5.464+)

Bitdefender Bitedefender Internet Security 10

ESET Eset Smart Security Public Beta 1 (v3.0.128.0) (32-bit only)

Iolo Personal Firewall (32 bits only)

Jetico Personal Firewall v.2 (32 and 64 bits)

Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0.2.621 and newer (32-bit, 64-bit runs in 32-bit mode)

Kerio WinRoute Firewall 6.3

McAfee McAfee Personal Firewall 11.2 build 11.2.121

Microsoft Windows Live OneCare 1.5 NOTE: MS are currently (02/22/07) offering a 90-day trial for free. OK as an interim until some that actually work show up. (PT-BR unavailable)

Pc Tools Firewall Plus 2.0 (32 bits only)

Symantec Norton 360

Symantec Norton Internet Security 2006/2007 - NOTE: Download the latest version, more info here

Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 - NOTE: Get the latest version, more info here

Vista Firewall Control (native 32 and 64 bits) Incoming/outcoming program control

Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.1.044.000 beta (32-bit only) Running fine (check "known issues" at zone labs' site)

from this site:

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Wind...lls_.2F_IDS.27s

goodluck

I'm willing to try all of those except for McAfee and Norton

I tried both Comodo and Sygate...couldn't connect my dial-up to the Internet with Sygate.

I'm using Vista's own firewall with Sphinx Software - Vista Firewall Control 1.0.5

If you read through this link, there are instruction on how to set up Windows Firewall.

http://members.rushmore.com/~jsky/id34.html

Hmmm. Sygate rocks but not compatable yet in my testing. Vista is very finicky yet, shame on Billy! PCTools has a FREE firewall that is the best so far IMHO.

Joost

I'm using the McAfee security suite(Firewall & Anti-virus) that's available from my ISP, Comcast.

I was hesitant at 1st, but after using it for the last couple of months w/ my Vista laptop, I've been pleasantly surprised at how it works