Sign in to follow this  
mdehart78

think about buyin a mac

The difference between a computer with pre-installed garbage, and a clean install of windows, is huge.

While not a fan of MS, I can't blame them for the very poor configurations the OEM's ship.

What pre-installed garbage?

When I got my last laptop it had XP on it, it was far from smooth. It took nearly 60 seconds to boot up, if I left it on for a few hours it was a bit dodgy and slow and the ##Windows people told me that Windows benefits from a restart every few hours. Not what I'd call smooth, it was a fairly good machine too.

Linux runs like a charm on it.

I guess my definition of smooth is more fussy than most.

What were the specs on this? On my laptop (2ghz pentium m, 1gb ram,80gb hard drive), I've ran xp pro, suse linux, and ubuntu linux. Ubuntu ran the fastest for me it seemed, but it wasn't that much faster than xp pro. They both seem to boot up in about the same time also. However, neither can match the bootup time of a mac. OS X starts up incredibly fast.

The difference between a computer with pre-installed garbage, and a clean install of windows, is huge.

While not a fan of MS, I can't blame them for the very poor configurations the OEM's ship.

It's a shame really, most of the older OEM computers I've used (mostly Windows 95 boxes) came with some decent software packages, desktop tweaks, etc, things that really made the machines run better. Now a days it seems like a contest to see who can load the most crap onto their machine without getting sued...

When did it all go wrong? :cr@sh:

It's a shame really, most of the older OEM computers I've used (mostly Windows 95 boxes) came with some decent software packages, desktop tweaks, etc, things that really made the machines run better. Now a days it seems like a contest to see who can load the most crap onto their machine without getting sued...

When did it all go wrong? :cr@sh:

Bottom line....money.

Prove me wrong. I have never seen an installation of Windows which runs smoothly (except maybe for the first two days after a format).

Yes, what about unbiased statements. :P

I have been running Windows since 1995, and really have no idea what you are talking about Tito!

It's most likly you don't have the proper hardware to run Windows! :lol:

http://secunia.com/

I think that's what Tito said.

More specifically, this: "Found: 21562 Viruses, displaying 1-10"

From what I have read, it said the average time to infect an unprotected Windows installation is 40 minutes.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix...e_on_the_r.html

Edited by brandon

http://secunia.com/

I think that's what Tito said.

More specifically, this: "Found: 21562 Viruses, displaying 1-10"

From what I have read, it said the average time to infect an unprotected Windows installation is 40 minutes.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix...e_on_the_r.html

Like I said Read My lips!!!! I've had Windows since 1995 and never got a virus. Edited by Lou

I've gotten one virus ever, the Vundo.

I downloaded a bad file via torrents, and forgot to scan it before opening it. I usually just active Avast to scan after downloading large amounts of files. Otherwise, all related .exe(s) and services are disabled.

I am completely unprotected. No Realtime AV, use hardware firewall from my router. Most of the time i have DMZ hosting forwarded to my computer for gaming.

One - With real time protection, i have the same exact chance to get infected. Real time just catches it faster than me, and a majority of the time, can't do a damn thing with a bad virus. If it's a easy to remove virus, i can scan for it with a free scanner, and use killbox to pwn it.

Two - After an infection, your computer won't be running like it was pre-infection. I'd much rather just get a fresh install of Windows, seeings as with slipstream disks, it takes about 10 minutes tops, to get back were i was, minus installed games/programs.

Three - Most cost money. Somthing i'd rather spend on my hardware, not software.

I've been an XP user since 01', when i was 11 years old. (used macs before that) I think i went online for the first time when i was 10, for fantasy football with my brothers. I've had highspeed for 4 years now.

I've only ever been infected once. Ever.

It's honestly really simple.

Practice safe surfing, don't install any activeX laying around. Scan what you download.

Read the legal stuff, even if it takes a long time.

macs are good but you can't just run the software you want.

macs don't overclock too (i wonder of i see a unit overclocked :lol: )

macs are fast but windows PCs is faster because of their huge list of upgradeability.

windows is as fast as the day i reformatted with the same hardware too (even installing a/v, bittorrent, etc)

i only have a problem in windows when i got the swen virus. after that, i never had problems.

linux on the other side is also very good. it supports all of my hardware now (printers, scanners, lan cards, etc).

linux is great but it limits my software usage (had to install several alternatives, etc)

if you mean "preinstalled crap" please look at the specs first. i wonder if you say this to a hp pc with celeron d processor, 256mb ram, onboard graphics with antivirus and manufacturer's tools. i have branded PCs but with higher specs so i didn't notice performance lags at all.

windows just fulfill my everyday needs.

macs are fast but windows PCs is faster because of their huge list of upgradeability.

windows is as fast as the day i reformatted with the same hardware too (even installing a/v, bittorrent, etc)

i only have a problem in windows when i got the swen virus. after that, i never had problems.

linux on the other side is also very good. it supports all of my hardware now (printers, scanners, lan cards, etc).

linux is great but it limits my software usage (had to install several alternatives, etc)

if you mean "preinstalled crap" please look at the specs first. i wonder if you say this to a hp pc with celeron d processor, 256mb ram, onboard graphics with antivirus and manufacturer's tools. i have branded PCs but with higher specs so i didn't notice performance lags at all.

Thats funny because windows limits me in every way imaginable, especially since it doesn't run any of my software, doesn't support more then a few hardware devices I have, and severely limits how and where I install it, it won't run at a reasonable speed on some older systems I have, and comes with nothing, well OK it comes with a calculator and notepad :rofl3:

I call :filtered: on over half of that. I have a 125mhz Performa running OS 8 that runs better than most Windows XP installs I've seen. :P

Windows boots up pretty fast I must say. The only problem is, you have to wait for things to load after it boots. Seems kind of silly to me. :rolleyes:

We have XP sp2 running at school on 3ghz machines, 512 mb of ram too IIRC. They run great ...until you actually try to do things on them. Loading up Eclipse on one? Ha, fat chance. I had to resort to doing my programming in Notepad++ and calling the Java compiler manually from DOS.

So don't try to tell me that Windows runs faster than anything. It pains me to work on a Windows box. At one point I was actually connecting to my Linux box at home with Putty, just so I could get things done. :rofl2: