Sign in to follow this  
mdehart78

think about buyin a mac

a mac is a PC.

PC= personal computer.

Mac and Windows are both personal computers.

Let not forget how easy it is to run a virtual machine within mac, and use every single program that you run on windows.

Lets also not forget how the personal computer users posting in this thread are very advanced computer users, and probably know about 10000 times more info about computers than the average person.

The average person will trash and infect a windows pc in a short time, however, those with macs, don't, because it's pretty much impossible.

I do have to agree about the chap shot stuff.

Apple and Microsoft get along now, why can't it's users?

For the average user, macs may run smoother. But for experienced users, upgrade addicts, and overclockers Windows can run faster. People buy Windows PCs full of bloatware, crapware, and get infected with malware, there is less of that on Macs. But macs are much more limited on hardware, and from what I've read they're hard to overclock. Windows has many problems, so does mac OS, so does Linux for that matter. It all depends on the user.

Edited by Simonsells91

a mac is a PC.

PC= personal computer.

Mac and Windows are both personal computers.

We all know that, it's just easier to refer to them that way, rather than saying "Apple Computers" and "Windows Computers". ;)

You said PC's are faster than Mac's. Compare a PC and a Mac with equal specs, then we can come to a verdict. Speed is relative, obviously a PC with a higher clock speed is going to be faster than a Mac (with a lower clock).

This supposed difficulty in overclocking Mac's has nothing to do with the hardware, and everything to do with the intended customer. People buy Mac's because they want a black-box solution, they don't care about the insides.

Please though, define a "real pc".

Not to debate, but

1. I never said windows are faster than mac's.

2. Your right, speed is relative.

3. People who buy macs dont buy them to overclock, or tweak, and mess with them. They buy it so they DON'T have to overclock, tweak and mess with them. Honestly, i have the mac labtop thats about 5-6 years old. Never have had to hardware upgraded it ever. Hard drive died once, (probably due to the heat problems all labtops have)

And the thing runs OS X Tiger like a champ. This is a 800MHZ PPC3, 512Ram, some integrated video card computer, running the latest and greatest OS X without single hardware upgrade, ever.

I can't image running vista on my 5 year old piece of junk windows XP computer.

2.0 Celeron.

1.25 GB of Ram

Radeon 9200.

Vista would utterly dystroy that system.

EDIT: I can't imagine running vista, ever. to be honest.

4. PC= Personal computer. Hardware combined, with any operating system on the planet.

(i've now used all three. XP, OS X, and Ubuntu)

In all my expierences they are all great for different things.

I do my hardcore gaming on my windows (thats where it's fastest and easiest), my video and mp3 management + iPod on my mac (also where it's fast and easy), and Ubuntu for surfing the web, and instant messaging. Just because beryl is so fricken sweet, and linux does the internet faster than both OS X and Windows. (because it's fast and easy, and beryl GUI is so sexy compared to OSX, Xp, and Aero, and i use one program to log into aim, ICQ, MSN, and Xfire at once)

Edited by porksandwich9113

to be fair, there is a huge difference between NEEDING to overclock (as you say) and tweak and WANTING to overclock and tweak (as simon says).

:laughing::rofl2:

Prove me wrong. I have never seen an installation of Windows which runs smoothly (except maybe for the first two days after a format).

my 64 bit windows runs awesome for quite a while now, theres lots and lots of people who have thier windows performing great just as there are lots and lots who dont. statements of biased negativity saying otherwise are very arrogant

probably time for someone to actually get BACK on topic...sad a simple 1 sentence question turns into a OS war...again

now mdehart78, you mention gamer and you mention you like your ipod. your likes of ipod or other apple products can differ your likes from your wants/needs from your pc.

macs are sleek, small and appealing visually...i have an older imac

its nice for what you listed except gaming,...sure you can get some pc titles to work on it but depends on what kind of gamer you are

main thing is to realize you dont need a mac itself to use the OSX, i'm going to assume its probably the looks of macs that you also like about them...if its not breaking your bank then buy it!

if you have never used a mac before...i highly suggest you go to a display model and at least play with it first to make sure it suits your interaction wants/needs

laptop or desktop...again thats strictly a preference thing, its more of a price to performance ratio there as well

Prove me wrong. I have never seen an installation of Windows which runs smoothly (except maybe for the first two days after a format).

i've got five

Well you obviously have never seen very many computers, or have been doing things very wrong.

This topic has gone extremely off topic, but I will add that Windows 98SE, 2k and XP have all ran great for me. I really never had issues with Microsoft until they started the Anti-piracy and Windows Genuine Advantage deal on XP. Seems they could spend their time more productivly on the os cause they are not stoping pirates and hurting the consumer when WGA marks a system as pirated and it's not.

Then add in spyware and virus program crap, Linux was just a smart move for me personally, but Windows is still faster and just as smooth.

This topic has gone extremely off topic, but I will add that Windows 98SE, 2k and XP have all ran great for me. I really never had issues with Microsoft until they started the Anti-piracy and Windows Genuine Advantage deal on XP. Seems they could spend their time more productivly on the os cause they are not stoping pirates and hurting the consumer when WGA marks a system as pirated and it's not.

Then add in spyware and virus program crap, Linux was just a smart move for me personally, but Windows is still faster and just as smooth.

not meaning to continue the offtopics of thread, sorry but have to say i agree, you really cant stop pirating, the more they try it seems the more hackers make harder attempts to bypass,crack such attempts.

theres already several ways to bypass vista's legitimate use, its .iso's are all over the web especially the vlited verions and of course WGA has long been bypassable.

but the spyware/virus thing, i personally say thats user problem and responsibility, cant blame microsoft cause some hacker out there spent days working hard on an exploit and theres no excuse for ignorance. i went 3+ years without any anti software and no problems.

cant blame microsoft cause some hacker out there spent days working hard on an exploit and theres no excuse for ignorance. i went 3+ years without any anti software and no problems.

You can't blame Microsoft for stupid users, and hackers are going to be around no matter what, but you can blame them for follies like ActiveX. Maybe in a perfect world that would fly, but not here and not now.

That, and how long it takes them to come out with security fixes. The .wmf problem? They knew about that for years. It took someone finally exploiting it for them to patch it, and even then a third party got out a fix before them. For such a large company this is simply inexcusable. The argument that "it took them so long because they had to make sure their fix wouldn't break anything" isn't even valid, Microsoft "updates" break things all the time. They have no concern for their customers, so long as their customers are trapped in their endless upgrade cycle.

not meaning to continue the offtopics of thread, sorry but have to say i agree, you really cant stop pirating, the more they try it seems the more hackers make harder attempts to bypass,crack such attempts.

theres already several ways to bypass vista's legitimate use, its .iso's are all over the web especially the vlited verions and of course WGA has long been bypassable.

but the spyware/virus thing, i personally say thats user problem and responsibility, cant blame microsoft cause some hacker out there spent days working hard on an exploit and theres no excuse for ignorance. i went 3+ years without any anti software and no problems.

You can blame Microsoft for creating the idiots that use their OS. ;)

They created the too lazy to enter a password idiots of the computer world, and it has cost people and businesses billions and billions, and billions of dollars as a result.

You can have it, I won't touch the damn things anymore.

I can't stand dealing with the idiots. The OS annoys me to no end, but it's users are just too much for me. :lol:

Seriously, I stopped working on the damn things because of the people.

LoL, I know what you mean but I hardly talk to the users. We have very patient people who spend the time to book in their systems and find out what the problem is, weeding out the gibberish, and then pass us the information we need to work on the systems. The problem is I went sparring with one of these people after work and lets just say I was a brutal session... True story.

Edited by Intratech

LoL, I know what you mean but I hardly talk to the users. We have very patient people who spend the time to book in their systems and find out what the problem is, weeding out the gibberish, and then pass us the information we need to work on the systems. The problem is I went sparring with one of these people after work and lets just say I was a brutal session... True story.

i used a PC for years for various things just like everyone else, I bought a Mac and have never looked back since. I would urge all computer enthusiasts to seriously consider a Mac for future purchases. Macs are not for everyone but they are very efficient. In two years i have never had one spyware problem or any of that nonsense, never has it frozen, or an application stopped suddenly. I have never even had one pop up while browsing the internet. Microsoft and PC's cannot say the same.

Yeah, I stopped using roads because of the idiots that made them. It's the road makers that cause all the idiots to drive like they do. I'm staying on dirt from now on. :rofl2:

Yeah, I stopped using roads because of the idiots that made them. It's the road makers that cause all the idiots to drive like they do. I'm staying on dirt from now on. :rofl2:

Ya I know a few folks who also after having many problems with computers and cars, stopped traveling, because they couldn't figure out safe ways to do it. Now they just roll around in the dirt all by themselves. :geezer:

The roads being like the internet are loaded with hazards and dangerous situations, unfortunately I can't avoid using the roads or the internet, so I choose to use the best tools to navigate those dangerous roads and internet. A safe and stable operating system, and a safe and stable car. :tup:

Years ago after having many broken windshields, smashed glass and shattered windows, I did the intelligent thing and stopped looking through cracked fragile windows. ;)

Edited by Bruce

Well you obviously have never seen very many computers, or have been doing things very wrong.

When I got my last laptop it had XP on it, it was far from smooth. It took nearly 60 seconds to boot up, if I left it on for a few hours it was a bit dodgy and slow and the ##Windows people told me that Windows benefits from a restart every few hours. Not what I'd call smooth, it was a fairly good machine too.

Linux runs like a charm on it.

I guess my definition of smooth is more fussy than most.

The difference between a computer with pre-installed garbage, and a clean install of windows, is huge.

While not a fan of MS, I can't blame them for the very poor configurations the OEM's ship.