Sign in to follow this  
duanester

Dell with Ubuntu

it will be sluggish at first considering most know windows and nothing else along with the fear of experimenting, but im sure they will eventually come around and smell the coffee, ms does not want this so it will be a difficult ride for those that know nothing past widows.

Simply put I think a lot of it will be up to people like us. We need to encourage people toward Linux....whatever flavor, whatever hardware. The Dell option just makes that easier.

Hopefully sales will be enough to keep it going this time. Dell has tried before as we all know.

just take the growing linux community for example, its estimated 40 million linux users :lol:

100 out of every thousand are getting there friends and family to try it, more than half grow to use it in replacement to windows ;)

dell on the other hand has nothing to do with the numbers mentioned above, there market strategy is just to capture linux community attention and sale more pc's and its not failing because a majority are ubuntu/ kubuntu users, so yes the deal between ms and novell along with the ease of use for ubuntu caused the linux hype and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon !

Bandwagon? Yeah.

But the leap to real sustained sales to the general public for OEMs with Linux on them......

That's a whole different ball game.

just take the growing linux community for example, its estimated 40 million linux users :lol:

100 out of every thousand are getting there friends and family to try it, more than half grow to use it in replacement to windows ;)

dell on the other hand has nothing to do with the numbers mentioned above, there market strategy is just to capture linux community attention and sale more pc's and its not failing because a majority are ubuntu/ kubuntu users, so yes the deal between ms and novell along with the ease of use for ubuntu caused the linux hype and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon !

The deal between Microsoft and Novell turns people away from Linux.

Companies now pay Microsoft to use SLED/SLES in a corporate environment. It turns out cheaper to run Windows.

The deal between Microsoft and Novell turns people away from Linux.

Companies now pay Microsoft to use SLED/SLES in a corporate environment. It turns out cheaper to run Windows.

Please explain how the Novell/Microsoft deal turns people away from Linux.

Use your own words and formulated ideas, not some opinion from a Stallman kook blog :lol:

Novell now has millions to improve there own product ;)

three hundred & fifty million dollars :lol:

edit: chop the numbers will increase because of dell but it will be a long haul on low two :lol:

Edited by duanester

Please explain how the Novell/Microsoft deal turns people away from Linux.

Use your own words and formulated ideas, not some opinion from a Stallman kook blog :lol:

Not people, businesses.

In purely financial terms, companies can buy a promise from Microsoft, that Microsoft will never sue them over the "stolen code" they are using. When it comes down to it Windows licenses are cheaper than novell licenses + Microsoft tax.

Of course, Microsoft have no grounds to sue companies on but companies fall for it and believe the FUD, rather than take a risk.

M$ is playing the big bully again, even tho they know that they can't prove anything, they have the financial backing to tie up a smaller company in court for years and a smaller company can't afford that, it's cheaper for them to cave into M$ demands and cut their losses than to fight it out

Edited by Joe C

Not people, businesses.

In purely financial terms, companies can buy a promise from Microsoft, that Microsoft will never sue them over the "stolen code" they are using. When it comes down to it Windows licenses are cheaper than novell licenses + Microsoft tax.

Of course, Microsoft have no grounds to sue companies on but companies fall for it and believe the FUD, rather than take a risk.

Well odd isn't it that the most copies of SLED, SLES from any one vendor were sold by Microsoft. They sold every single one of the 70,000 copies they were authorized to sell and did it in record time.

Seems that the deal has attracted new customers to Linux, not scared them away.

Well odd isn't it that the most copies of SLED, SLES from any one vendor were sold by Microsoft. They sold every single one of the 70,000 copies they were authorized to sell and did it in record time.

Seems that the deal has attracted new customers to Linux, not scared them away.

Also odd that corporate adoption of other distributions is rapidly drying up; because Microsoft won't give it their blessing.

Fortunately, there is nothing (yet) Microsoft can do to stop the rapid adoption of Linux on home desktops and eventually this will lead to largescale corporate adoption as the Microsoft empire isn't so scary anymore and for compatibility's sake.

People do buy what they are familiar with...that which seems "normal"....then there is the price of course.

But many people don't use a PC at work.

Honestly, I really think it's very imporatnt to get Linux desktops into schools. In order for Linux to become more mainstream it has to seem more mainstream....in other words it shouldn't look like something "different" or "alternative". Getting it into the schools will go a long way toward that.

I think that the various authorities in education need to specify as a requirement that MS products NOT be the only products taught....they need to specify a more well rounded introduction of OSs and softwares.

My daughter is learning onl Windows and MS Office in school. That burns be up. Here at home she uses Open Office on her laptop. I have started her with Paint.net and will be loading GIMP for her before long.

One of the difficulties in selling "alternatives" internally in the corporate environment is the transition and training for the users. This often in fact has to do more with perceptions than the hard numbers. People resist these kinds of changes. Just listen to the grumbling regarding any new software at the user level.

This really does have a great impact I think. I also think that introducing these things in the schools will go a long way toward resolving that kind of reaction.

Linux is already firmly entrenched in the back office and server environment, bringing it to the front is more complex than just TCO and hard numbers...there are more human factors involved.

Everywhere that Linux can gain ground is valuable, but I really think the schools are incredibly important in this regard. Get it in the schools.

Honestly, I really think it's very imporatnt to get Linux desktops into schools. In order for Linux to become more mainstream it has to seem more mainstream....in other words it shouldn't look like something "different" or "alternative". Getting it into the schools will go a long way toward that.

I think that the various authorities in education need to specify as a requirement that MS products NOT be the only products taught....they need to specify a more well rounded introduction of OSs and softwares.

My daughter is learning onl Windows and MS Office in school. That burns be up. Here at home she uses Open Office on her laptop. I have started her with Paint.net and will be loading GIMP for her before long.

It's a catch 22, chop. How many people would be mad that schools are teaching stuff that "isn't used in the real world"? A lot of universities are in that boat, at least from the IT stand point. When I graduated from college in 1998 Visual Basic was all the rage in the business world, but the college I went to didn't even offer that. We were still learning COBOL which was totally useless when I started working. I had to teach myself VB.

As Simonsells91 points out, Macs were very predominant, at least in Elementary schools. I don't know if they still are.

But computers are used in the real world.

Teaching one OS and one brand of productivity software is like teaching people to drive one brand of car.

They all drve very much the same, but people will now feel comfortable driving another brand.

I am specifically speaking about grade school through high school. I really don't think it's a catch 22, you are talking about programming, I am talking about using the computers.

There should be MS PCs in the schools....as well las Linux PCs with at least one of the major distros....and their should be Macs.

Really...

This year my daughter learned the basics of creating a doc in Word, creating a Powerpoint presentation, basic internet searches, typing skills, copy and paste and other such basic things.

Do you really think that there is any catch 22 in teaching those skills on a variety of OSs and softwares? I think it in fact would make them more comfortable and more prepared. One of the reasons people are so dismayed when there is a new software is because their experience is so limited....this would help relieve that and make them more comfortable with a PC in general.

Really.

Thsi isn't about programming, this is just about using a PC....it isn't even about the workplace....it's about a common household appliance and what is becomming a basic skill of daily living in the modern world.

I wasn't talking about the entire issue was programming, just using that as an example.

When it comes to "what is used in the real world", just take a look at Monster.com and see what people are asking for in terms of computer skills. It doesn't matter what type of job, as long as a computer is used. Usually, it's Microsoft related products. If these products weren't taught in schools, how many people would complain that students aren't being taught what they need to know? I think your approach is opposite of what should happen. Have businesses use other software first, then schools should follow.

Personally, I think schools should teach students how to learn. If your daughter could do a presentation with MS Powerpoint, she should be able to learn how to do it on similar software, such as Open Office's Impress.

You both miss the point when it comes to teaching computers in schhols.

The simple problem is this, they do not teach anything about computers in schools, in fact most of the educators teaching classes are barely or not at all qualified to teach about computers.

They teach how to use "applications", they don't teach specific applications because they are the most popular, or the most used, they teach what they teach because they don't know anything else. There in lies the problem. They go to school for an education and don't learn how to do anything other then how to open, type, and save a word document :lol:

Could save a lot of money if we just put typewriters back in the classrooms :P

The simple problem is this, they do not teach anything about computers in schools, in fact most of the educators teaching classes are barely or not at all qualified to teach about computers.

They teach how to use "applications", they don't teach specific applications because they are the most popular, or the most used, they teach what they teach because they don't know anything else. There in lies the problem. They go to school for an education and don't learn how to do anything other then how to open, type, and save a word document :lol:

Could save a lot of money if we just put typewriters back in the classrooms :P

Too right. I have been asked how to write an Excel macro by my ICT teacher, needless to say I refused as the only option was Visual Basic!

i agree with bruce on this matter, i ask my kids what they learned in computer class, they cannot answere the question!

the teachers allow them to use them and nothing more, hands on training, its like trying to sing without knowing the words to the song :lol:

They teach how to use "applications", they don't teach specific applications because they are the most popular, or the most used, they teach what they teach because they don't know anything else.

They teach what they teach because it is mandated by the state and included on standardized exams.