Sign in to follow this  
duanester

Dell with Ubuntu

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/05/01/13147.aspx

In February when Dell launched IdeaStorm as forum for customers to contribute ideas for product offerings, we received overwhelming feedback that customers wanted Linux on desktops and notebooks.

As part of an overall effort to update our Linux program, today we are announcing a partnership with Canonical to offer Ubuntu on select consumer desktop and notebook products.

Well they can say it all they want, but until I can go to the main Dell site where they sell computers and see a computer front and center with more then this listed then it is meaningless in my opinion.

OPERATING SYSTEM(s)

Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic

Linux isn't mentioned anywhere, and if you dig for open source, Linux or anything like that, you still get the old we will send you a freeDos CD :rofl3:

In fact if you click the "help me choose my operating system" button on a pc configuration all you are offered is a dialog of which version of "Vista" is right for you.

Saying something is available and then not making it easily accessible are to different things.

Edited by Bruce

Not only that, but it remains to be seen what kind of support is offered.

I do think it stands a chance though. Why? Mr. Dell is back....and his personal laptop runs Ubuntu.....

What will really determine if it works, stays, and grows? Sales.

Oh, and by the way...double post....... http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=1360999

it remains to be seen what kind of support is offered.

What will really determine if it works, stays, and grows? Sales.

the same support you get from ubuntu !

a choice, opensource or proprietary software, free software and freedom from strict licensing, the os can be installed multiple machines & changed to the users taste, better security, more functionality, lets face it! windows cannot compete.........

edit: there are lightweight versions like xubuntu that can run on pentium 3 systems with 128 megs of ram either running gnome or kde, vista will not even load on a system with those specs !

the operating system can be a server of any kind, it can be configured to the users liking, my system is setup as an ftp server and a multimedia platform, i can encode data on one desktop and compress data on another all when the ftp server is running, its endless what i can do and not limited.

Edited by duanester

Of course Dell is going to load it up with crapware that will have to be uninstalled.

it will not contain useless apps and trials because the software is free and opensource, there is nothing to sale that the opensource apps cant already do!

example: nero linux can be downloaded with a 30day trial, this will not happen because the free software already included destroys nero hands down :)

edit: nero linux will never be able to same or better than k3b ever!

Posted Image

Edited by duanester

it will not contain useless apps and trials because the software is free and opensource, there is nothing to sale that the opensource apps cant already do!

example: nero linux can be downloaded with a 30day trial, this will not happen because the free software already included destroys nero hands down :)

edit: nero linux will never be able to same or better than k3b ever!

Posted Image

That's true, but knowing how Dell needs to make a pc profitable, I can see them making deals with software vendor for "trialware" It's common with any OEM pc you can buy today. Of course I can see Dell making adjustments to the Ubuntu o.s. to promote Dell name and products and limit some things so the average user can use it

we shall see joe, im sure there working on a scheme as of may first, we don't really know anything, its just not likely craplets will be included if they know what good for them, i can understand them using apps to remote connect and such, i dont see it going any further

It will be available on a separate range of desktops and laptops by the end of the year.

As for crapware, doesn't really bother me. Unlike in Windows we have a package manager

sudo apt-get remove dellcrap

what does everyone think about this statement

What Is Open Source?

Open source software is designed in a way that lets multiple people change, improve and redistribute the source code, meaning the software is generally community developed and available for free.

An advantage of open source is that it can deliver more reliability and flexibility, as well as faster updates and fixes, all at a lower cost. Plus, if you’re an expert, you can tweak and alter the code to completely customize the software to do exactly what you want. A downside is that some open source software requires intermediate or advanced knowledge to use, and in the case of operating systems, may not be compatible with the same software applications and hardware as Windows operating systems.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopi...;l=en&s=dhs

Edited by duanester

From your link Duanester, I can see Dell is selling pc's with free DOS, they've put a little muscle in those pc just for DOS...

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+

FreeDOS™ included in the box, ready to install

1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs

250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

They're making it possible to add any o.s. you'd like

a vista box with the identical specs is the same price less !!

Edited by Joe C

reffering to the free DOS systems, basically a system with no o.s.

I can't see a good reason to run a dual core with DOS, (even in a commercial application) talk about overkill. So I'm assuming that peeps that would purchase one of these would install their own custom o.s.

Even if I intend to put Windows on it, I'd rather buy something like this and install an OEM copy of Windows on it. That way, you don't have all the bloatware that is talked about in the other thread.

From your link Duanester, I can see Dell is selling pc's with free DOS, they've put a little muscle in those pc just for DOS...

They're making it possible to add any o.s. you'd like

a vista box with the identical specs is the same price less !!

there are savings, in the future the price will drop because linux doesnt need 2 gigs of ram or an extreme video card to operate!

i just read this http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/004474.html , there are others that claimed similar, i even read up on blogs where one fella left out the monitor and only payed 399$ plus tax and shipping and got his desktop pc a day before the scheduled delivery, it wasnt a cellleron based pc iether, it was an e4300 dual core cpu and a gig of ram + a 250 hd :lol:

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/6/1/20868

Edited by duanester

Has anybody else read any of the reviews on these PCs yet.....or perhaps bought one?

I actually read one where the guy complained about not getting the OS disk. :lol:

He was supposed to, it was a glitch, but so what? Ubuntu will send you multiple disks for free. I just had to chuckle.

Anyway...Dell's internal memos indicate they expect these PCs to represent less than 1% of the balance of the year's sales.

its not a bad deal, i have payed more than that for a video card, in fact i payed half that for a cpu :tup:

to have a working linux machine that performs for that price is great!