Sign in to follow this  
TorreyIsLDS

How to backup entire hard disk configuration

Hi guys, I have a MacBook Pro that I use for college with a lot of important content in it. Now that I'm working on a thesis, I have started to become paranoid about the possibility of having it, in addition to my other files, irrevocably lost to a sudden disk malfunction, or just disappearing inexplicably, and other such worries. I wonder if there are software out there that can create an image of my hard disk so that in the event that something like those situations happens, my laptop will easily be restored back to its original state? I have also thought about getting an external hard drive as a backup solution. Would this hard disk work with my Mac? Which method do you guys prefer? If there are software like the kind I asked about, how large would a disk image be? Would it be able to fit into a regular DVD?--I have approximately 55gbs of files in my MacBook Pro. Thanks for your suggestions,

Tori

Edited by TorreyIsLDS

Works great for me, especially with NTFS partitions. I can create an image in a matter of minutes, restore the image, and not have to worry about reformatting anymore.

What did you try to do, and what version did you use?

I downloaded the version you gave link to in another thread. Program did nothing but throw up errors when selecting type of backup. It has nothing on Norton Ghost 12 IMO which to me is worth every penny they charge for it and backs up Linux partitions also. I will give it another try over the weekend as it could have been user error, but for now it blows.

Did you mount the partition you intended to save the image to? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause Clonezilla to throw up errors.

I think Clonezilla is worth every penny I didn't pay for it. ;)

Edited by brandon

What file system does a Mac use? I don't see anything on clonezilla's website refering to Macs as this is what the poster of this thread is wanting to backup.

Did you mount the partition you intended to save the image to? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause Clonezilla to throw up errors.

I think Clonezilla is worth every penny I didn't pay for it. ;)

I'm not sure what all I did as this was like 2 weeks or more ago.

Free doesn't mean better either, some things are worth paying for. ;)

Modern Macs use HFS+. If Clonezilla doesn't support the filesystem, then it uses DD to copy all the data. File system choice does not matter, however, mounting the disk does.

Edited by brandon

What file system does a Mac use? I don't see anything on clonezilla's website refering to Macs as this is what the poster of this thread is wanting to backup.

It uses dd to copy the disk byte by byte for unsupported file formats.

While dd may take longer it is actually the best way to make a disk backup, as it doesn't care what is there, it just just copies every byte on the hard drive.

dd has been in use in the "nix" world for decades and is still the best way to make backups.