Sign in to follow this  
Mags60

spoolsv.exe

For no immediate reason that I can find my printer (HP psc 1317 series) refuses to print. Task Manager shows cpu running at 100% and spoolsv.exe appears to be the problem.

I have run Registry Mechanic, antivirus, cccleaner, spybot and they have picked up nothing. I have done a driver check and the driver for the printer is showing OK.

Any other ideas to try?

Help much appriecated.

I'll give this a shot because my wife had the same problem on her HP 1300 series printer. I'll describe what I did to get it going. On hers, she had sent a document to the printer which failed to print...so she sent it again and again. Look down into the system tray for the printer icon. Doubleclick to open and select everything in there and cancel the print. Click on start, run, type "services.msc" without the quotes. Scroll down till you find "print spooler" and highlight it. Right click on it and look about halfway down in the box and make sure it is set to "automatic" and is started. If not, set to automatic. Now click on the "stop" button. We are stopping the services first to clear everything out. Close the box. Now look for a service called "Lexbec Server" (not to be confused with lexbce which is a worm) and do the same thing you did to the print spooler service. Reboot the computer. Run "services.msc" again and check to see that both services are running. If not, highlight each one and click the "start" button. This should take care of your problem. On the wife's computer, the Lexbec Server was not running. If it doesn't run, the spooler service won't work and you can't print anything. Hope this solves your problem.

I'll give this a shot because my wife had the same problem on her HP 1300 series printer. I'll describe what I did to get it going. On hers, she had sent a document to the printer which failed to print...so she sent it again and again. Look down into the system tray for the printer icon. Doubleclick to open and select everything in there and cancel the print. Click on start, run, type "services.msc" without the quotes. Scroll down till you find "print spooler" and highlight it. Right click on it and look about halfway down in the box and make sure it is set to "automatic" and is started. If not, set to automatic. Now click on the "stop" button. We are stopping the services first to clear everything out. Close the box. Now look for a service called "Lexbec Server" (not to be confused with lexbce which is a worm) and do the same thing you did to the print spooler service. Reboot the computer. Run "services.msc" again and check to see that both services are running. If not, highlight each one and click the "start" button. This should take care of your problem. On the wife's computer, the Lexbec Server was not running. If it doesn't run, the spooler service won't work and you can't print anything. Hope this solves your problem.

Thansk for quick reply. I was going OK until I tried to find Lexbec Server. This was not showing in the Services Window - or should I have been somewhere else by then?

You may not have that Lexbce Server in your services, but the wife did. Click Start, run, type "msconfig" without the quotes and see if you have "lexbces.exe" it there. If it is listed, put a check mark beside of it and close out. You will have to reboot. Then try what I said. If Lexbces.exe is not in msconfig, just disreguard the Lexbce part,; you may not have it on your system. See if that works for you.

NOTE:

I just checked the wife's computer and the service is "Lexbce Server" It was installed when she had a Dell A920 all in one printer (made by Lexmark). So , if you never had a Lexmark printer, then you probably won't have that service listed. Note to myself....get rid of that service!

have you tried to run a sfc /scannow

you may need your xp cd if it finds errors

start/run/type in .. sfc /scannow click ok

dont run any programs while this runs

have you tried to run a sfc /scannow

you may need your xp cd if it finds errors

start/run/type in .. sfc /scannow click ok

dont run any programs while this runs

I have a packard bell that does not supply a cd - and guess what I have never yet made the discs as they suggest. So until I have done that I am bit reluctant to try this. I'll keep a note though and try and get them done soon. I have bougtht the blank discs ...

Thanks

You may not have that Lexbce Server in your services, but the wife did. Click Start, run, type "msconfig" without the quotes and see if you have "lexbces.exe" it there. If it is listed, put a check mark beside of it and close out. You will have to reboot. Then try what I said. If Lexbces.exe is not in msconfig, just disreguard the Lexbce part,; you may not have it on your system. See if that works for you.

NOTE:

I just checked the wife's computer and the service is "Lexbce Server" It was installed when she had a Dell A920 all in one printer (made by Lexmark). So , if you never had a Lexmark printer, then you probably won't have that service listed. Note to myself....get rid of that service!

Never had a lexmark printer with this machine ....

Thanks for trying

I have a packard bell that does not supply a cd - and guess what I have never yet made the discs as they suggest. So until I have done that I am bit reluctant to try this. I'll keep a note though and try and get them done soon. I have bougtht the blank discs ...

Thanks

To wrap this one, and in case anyone else has the same problem, I found that I had no trojans, virus etc, but a careless user who had not checked the cables at the back of the computer. All leads fully connected no more problem.

Thanks for those who assisted.