Sign in to follow this  
Keith_L

PC Pitstop Hall of Shame

TerBear,

Surely, since you are an experienced PC user, you were aware that the operating system was stored on that space, right?

Of course, I knew this. If you watch my video, I am trying to figure out how to remove the partition since Gateway uniquely positions the partition in front of the main partition. Please watch the video.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/news/video/partition.asp

I also must disagree with your premise. I know a LOT about phone support. Before starting PC Pitstop in 1999, I was SVP of Gateway Consumer. My responsibilities including marketing, phone sales, customer service and technical support. Unlike other SVP's, it was not uncommon to find me talking on the telephones with real customers so I could better understand the dilemmas of people purchasing the products, and our people supporting them.

This is where your premise is wrong. I am able to empathize with the difficulties of doing a support job, but this in of itself is insufficient to defend Mary Ann's phone temperament.

To be honest, the state of phone support in general is pretty bad, not just in the PC industry. We all have to deal with phone support in our lives. Cable TV, credit card, cell phone and so on. Just bring up in a group settings a bad experience and EVERYONE is anxious to unload about their bad experience.

I also have learned that not every one is cut out for phone support. Inherent in your job is you must deal with a LOT of people less knowledgeable and perhaps less intelligent than you. This can be at times quite frustrating. If you find yourself getting overly frustrated, then I would suggest looking for another job more suitable for your temperament and skill set.

i've done your job. i worked for 3 years with at&t wireless...

it's a :filtered: job that most people can do. yes, you have to deal with idiots...yes, you have to be patient. however, what job do you not have that?

the bottom line, for me, is that when you are providing customer support, you are doing so voluntarily and because the customer is paying you to do so. the customer should absolutely expect excellency in the support they provide. this means no rudeness, shortness, or representatives of the company who cannot exhibit patience.

i call bs on what you say about the scripts...they are for people who are too lazy to understand what they are saying and be able to put it into a frame that different people will be able to easily grasp. not everyone thinks alike as a script may suggest.

And I agree with you 100%. By all means, the customer should expect a knowledgable, professional and personable agent to assist them when they call. I hope you didn't get the impression from my post that it should be otherwise. As far as the script, well....unfortunately, I have no choice. It is mandatory that I read that script. It can be quite frustrating to have words put in your mouth that make you sound like a robot, and the customer can tell this as well. It's certainly not MY choice! Hopefully, the higher-ups where I work will do away with them soon. Hey, I can dream, can't I?? :snooze:

well, that's my point, terbear. from the outset the gateway rep was not "a knowledgable, professional and personable agent to assist" rob cheng, hence the criticism.

I agree with the fact that some people are not cut out to do tech support and this particular individual was definitely one of those people. This person did lose their job because of this call along with 120 other individuals. So I hope that makes you feel good about yourself.

Have a great day.

I agree, and thats why she lost her job. Thats ok though, call their tech support near the end of august. If you think its bad now, the fun has just begun lol... Its about to get a whole lot worse.

This person did lose their job because of this call along with 120 other individuals. So I hope that makes you feel good about yourself.

Have a great day.

One person yes, but if you really think that all the others lost their jobs because of this, not very likely. Try the fact that your company/call center got out-sourced to someplace else that had a lower bid. If this one call is any reflection on how the rest of the employees treated customers, then I'm not surprised the bid went elsewhere.

But you keep living in that little fantasy world believing that this one call was responsible.

I agree, and thats why she lost her job. Thats ok though, call their tech support near the end of august. If you think its bad now, the fun has just begun lol... Its about to get a whole lot worse.

According to this poster who claims inside information, Mary Ann did NOT lose her job over this:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=1369342

So all know Mary Ann was not fired. She was transferred to another divison of the company and retrained. So all is good At Gateway once again. All techs there are doing a wonderful job and I would not think anything different. I have friends and people that are close to me that work there and they Love there jobs. Even when times are hard.