Sign in to follow this  
Keith_L

PC Pitstop Hall of Shame

I agree that she was short with the customer and shouldnt have all the techs at the center arent like that and we do deal with a lot of harse customers. Calls are monitored mainly by the center we work for to assure cust quality and unfortunately it can fail after repeated calls to the wrong support number people asking questions that we arent there to answer a computer tech is there to troubleshoot original hardware and software we cant go through configuration or how to burn a DVD that is out of scope and if you worked for Gateway you should know that or any other company for that matter. Well you proved your point did you also realize now Gateway has decided to not renew our contract and you have put a couple hundred techs out of work I was there 3 years what will I do now ... not sure looking to sell off everything I own and reloacating to a city that has more work

Great job thanks

I love this thread so much, I actually felt a need to make a few comments:

First of all to our legal professionals: IN SOME STATES you need both party's consent to record a conversation AND use it in a court of law. What this means is: if there is a case pending in court between the caller and Gateway, the law of the state the suit was filed in would dictate whether or not the call was allowed to be used in court. It has nothing to do with what was posted on a Web site.

Secondly: THE CUSTOMER IS KING. I saw from the postings that not everyone agreed with this. Some people even said its the customers fault for not researching the computer they bought. I don't care how you look at it. IF ANY COMPANY WANTS MY HARD EARNED MONEY then I expect to be treated like a valuable person. If my experiences were bad, I would probably take my business elsewhere. Yes "let the buyer beware" holds true; but if you want a long-term customer then treat me accordingly.

Third: Just for the record, I currently use an emachines computer. In the past few years I also bought my son one, and my mother one. My previous computer was also emachines. For me, the sales price for the package is worth it. I upgraded the RAM, but it was still so much cheaper than custom building one from scratch (at least for my uses). Believe it or not, I have never had to contact customer service. I never had a major problem with any of them. I can do basic repairs but half the people reading this thread are probably more tech savvy than me. To me this speaks wonders about the quality.

Finally: May I point out here that some companies pay outside people to call their support staff and monitor their responses. Gateway got a free ride here. Does that mean that all Gateway staff are bad? No it doesn't. We all have companies we have had bad experiences with. For various reasons, I personally will never allow AT&T to receive a dime of my money again. I had a series of problems with them. I felt I was not treated like a valuable customer. The same principle applies here to some people. I also don't buy the 75 year old lady story (she sounded way too young) but even if she was 75 or brand new, that is no excuse for giving wrong answers or being rude. The first rule should be: if you don't know the answer find out or pass the call to someone who can help.

Sorry to hear about your loss of job. One option would be to look for work at whoever they hire to handle the contract. If they need a couple hundred techs they will still need a couple hundred techs to handle calls. I doubt there was one isolated incident that caused this. There will probably several incidents or the someone underbid them.

I agree that she was short with the customer and shouldnt have all the techs at the center arent like that and we do deal with a lot of harse customers. Calls are monitored mainly by the center we work for to assure cust quality and unfortunately it can fail after repeated calls to the wrong support number people asking questions that we arent there to answer a computer tech is there to troubleshoot original hardware and software we cant go through configuration or how to burn a DVD that is out of scope and if you worked for Gateway you should know that or any other company for that matter. Well you proved your point did you also realize now Gateway has decided to not renew our contract and you have put a couple hundred techs out of work I was there 3 years what will I do now ... not sure looking to sell off everything I own and reloacating to a city that has more work

Great job thanks

I would find it difficult to believe that this one incident alone was enough to cause the loss of contract. It may have been the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back", but I don't think it was the sole reason.

I would find it difficult to believe that this one incident alone was enough to cause the loss of contract. It may have been the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back", but I don't think it was the sole reason.

Have to agree with that. If the responses posted here from these so-called "techs" (sorry have a hard time considering anyone that has to rely on scripts and cue-cards a tech) are representative of how most customer service calls go, it was just a matter of time before the call center lost the contract.

so called techs ya sure we dont use a script there is an opening script we use to introduce the tech and get cust info and to make sure the account is properly verified for the cust protection and I find it offensive after years of college and years experience building computers that you deny me the right to call myself a tech. The point of my comment that people should think before actions are taken there is more than one person involved. I hope you call in for tech advise I would advise you to wrap your memory chips with tin foil and turn your system on. Please have a fire extinguisher nearby

I find it offensive after years of college and years experience building computers

Sorry you feel that way. Then again if that was true you wouldn't be working in a call center for minimum wage or slightly above.

okay, so there are gateway techs posting in here, where are the dell techs? surely they can make equal fools out of themselves.

Edited by badbinary

i'm a dell employee, but i'm not a 1st level support tech. what i do is a bit more advanced and specialized...besides, i have no plans to live in india.

:boxing:

There is no proof that she was actually fired. The official reason given by a 'Gateway Tech' for recording conversations, as well as the Gateway recorded message, is to provide training to improve service. So if the customer records the conversation instead of Gateway the policy changes to 'fire the employee'? That simply does not make any sense.

Also, it has already been stated that the laws of the state where the recording was done only require that one party know that the call is being recorded. Besides, as a Gateway tech, the prudent thing to do would be to assume that every conversation may be recorded, as that is what is stated to the caller.

And if you're saying that MaryAnn would have behaved differently had she known she was being recorded, how wrong is that? It's OK to be rude if you think you're not going to be recorded? :huh:

Also, it has already been stated that the laws of the state where the recording was done only require that one party know that the call is being recorded. Besides, as a Gateway tech, the prudent thing to do would be to assume that every conversation may be recorded, as that is what is stated to the caller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_recording_laws

http://www.accuratealways.com/support/lear...ication_law.htm

And seeing as it appears that most if not all of the "Gateway Techs" posting here are from Canada,

Canadian law requires that at least one party in the phone call be aware of the recording.

Since I've spent all of my life either in sales,retail and customer service I'm very interested in the current level of customer service most companies are supplying. With the current switch to online purchases and fewer and fewer one on one "in person" contacts customer service is suffering greatly. There is less and less personal responsibility with the people representing the companies and that's if you can actually get a real person.

Over the past month I spent more than 3 hours just trying to change the Account User name on a cell phone. According to every tech I talked to it just couldn't be done. I could change passwords and every other thing known to man but NOT THE USER NAME. I did get it done eventually but the reason it was such a chore is due to the company trying to save money and cut back on quality of service. And to answer the obvious question "Yes" I would rather pay more, do business with a real person at a real store, with someone who owns the store and has a stake it it's reputation.

One of the old rules to govern salesmen and employees dealing with customers was "The customer is always right". This day and age that's pretty much laughed at, but if they are going to get my money it's what I expect.

These kinds of projects will help the pendulem swing back a little more towards center. Price isn't the only thing necessary to keep a business successful. Service and quality is what keeps you on top.

I dont know what State pays $12 and hour min wage with full health and dental but if you say so. I probably could be doing better with my experience but living in a small town there are no large industries based here but it is my hometown so I have no intention on leaving if I dont have too. Thanks for your input though.

Sorry you feel that way. Then again if that was true you wouldn't be working in a call center for minimum wage or slightly above.

Edited by essentials

I listened to the Gateway recording. Actually, you got off easy. I have been dealing with Emachines (Gateway subsidiary) for two years since I bought my PC in Feb 2005 and what resulted: I have vowed never, EVER to buy an Emachines or Gateway computer again. This is not 100% though because there have been a couple of people who I felt really tried to help, but overall, they initially try to sell you something right off the bat, (upgrades they call them) and, as a solution to your problem, give you stock responses (always the same, no matter what the problem is) which ususally includes reformatting your hard drive whether destructive or non destructive. The last problem I had, after 15 emails back and forth with them not listening to what I was saying and answering with the same stock "copy and paste" solution each time of destructive restore, even after I told them I was being prevented from performing the action, I finally solved the problem myself (Bios had to be changed to default) and then I wrote to them with the answer. Like I said, NEVER AGAIN! I remember before I bought this PC, I read reviews that Emachines was on the top of the list for customer care. Too bad this was not my experience.

Sorry to hear you have had a bad experience. I have always put 100% into my calls and I can almost always fix the problem that I am presented with and formatting system is last resort for me as well as sales I am a terrible seller I dont believe in selling a solution. All the support for gateway will be in a new center now one of the centers that we always fix the problems for. And if you are looking for chat with a tech good luck they are in Manila and dont speak english I pray for Gateway because the only good center they had they messed up with. Money is the root of all evil and I am looking forward to having someone else pay my bills.

If you guys want a REALLY entertaining customer service, call hughesnet about their FAP.

I sat on the phone listening to elevator music before a guy with an indian accent that i couldnt understand picked up. I seriously made him say everything twice. Then my dad and I started questioning him about the FAP- how it's false advertising, that it's too low, that doing a microsoft required update (XP SP2) put me over the FAP, yadda yadda yadda, and finally it became a cussing match, and he finally just clicked us over to billing. Overall, it was a 1 hour 45 minute call to india.

This is part of the reason I will no longer use PCpitstop. I clicked on the link on my hompage for PCpitstop because I hadn't looked at it in a while, maybe to re-evaluate my opinion of the site, when I saw the link to "hall of shame". What do I hear?

Rob's initial description of what he wants to do makes no sense.

[begin call]

Rob: Hi, I got a gateway portable? And I just got it and got it up and running, and it has this D drive on there that has all this windows stuff on there...

Tech support: (Long pause) And?

Rob: ... and I want to remove all that and I want to put that all into my C drive.

[/call]

Out of context with your "crusade" to recover your hardrive space, that request makes no sense. As far as I know, the "disc" you say you got from gateway only has the files needed to begin a restore from the actual files that were on the D drive. Remove the D drive, and there's no way to restore. In fact, having those files there (like on my HP) means I can restore selected parts of my system should I need to rather than doing a full reformat/restore. Perhaps gateway no longer operates this way, but the tech support did mention that their systems go out "medialess"... which isn't uncommon. Did it occur to you to explain who you were and what you were doing? You might have recieved better service than you got had you been up front with this woman in the first place.

Also, there's this...

[open call]So shouldn't you have marketed it as a 90 gigabyte hardrive?[/close call]

Why are you asking tech support this question? This is something you should have contacted marketing about. The only purpose I can think of was to bait this person. In fact, youtube right now has lots of videos of phonecalls baiting tech support... you joined the crowd and may have cost this woman her job (and if reports are accurate an entire group), rather than it being about educating her and gateway about the deficiencies in their tech support. The part that disturbs me the most is you state that you were once in that line of work, and yet you baited this person anyway. In fact, the minute you ask her what her location was so you could know which gateway service center suggests to me you started out with intent to trap her by asking for something that makes no sense in the first place. And what's more, you asked her to repeat her badge number and name, which suggests to me you didn't let her know you were recording the conversation to begin with.

On that topic, it's one thing to know that your employer might be recording your conversation. It's another completely to be taped by a customer, and another to be taped by a media individual doing an expose on tech support. This woman just won the media expose lottery and perhaps lost her job (can't find out if she did one way or the other).

Now, my re-evaluation of PCpitstop is this. I had stopped using PCpitstop because of privacy issues with the pitstop tests collecting information that was not disclosed in the privacy policy. My actions had been not to recommend PCpitstop any longer due to this fact. Now, I believe I'm leaning toward contacting people I had previously recommended PCpitstop to and explaining that they need to stop using the site and it's services and explain why. It's pretty simple. The privacy policy may have been changed to reflect the fact that data about your hardrive (including installed programs) is being collected, but for a fair amount of time this information was not disclosed in the privacy policy. Also, it is now common practice for PCpitstop to call people at tech support and tape conversations, once again not disclosing their intent and the fact that techs are being recorded to be aired on the site. This is an absolute disgrace to a site that once prided itself on full disclosure, but now has slidden to this new low position. It's shameful, it's disgusting, and uncalled for particularly in a day when the way privacy is handled by companies is so terrible.

Edited by mattumanu

It was not my intention to bait this technician. To be honest, I thought they would just help me understand what was going on with the hidden partition space. Then I would just place the information in my video. I was not intending to entrap anyone.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/news/video/partition.asp

I asked the marketing question more as a reaction because she was so aggressive. As I said before, it was not my intention but her gruff attitude put me on the defensive.

As far as our privacy policy. We take it very seriously. We have been doing tests since March 2000, and literally tens of millions of computers have tested. There was a period of time that there was a discrepancy between the data we were collecting and the data displayed in the privacy policy. This was an oversight. We were not doing anything with the data. Once the issue was brought to our attention, we immediately amended the privacy policy.

From a purely personal and consumer point of view I wish more companies would do these kinds of exercises. I get tired of the lack of service and lack of appreciation from companies that want my money. It's not just about Tech support, scripts, and this industry. It's about pride in doing a good job and pride in offering a good product. No one is forcing any company to be the lowest price. It certainly isn't the consumer causing the ever tighter margins. It's competition trying to gain market share the easiest possible way. By cutting price. Once they cut price they cut costs by reducing quality and service. I've been watching it for years and it's just getting worse and worse. Today there are fewer and fewer companies, producing more and more goods, with decreasing profits, quality, and service. If every, and I do mean every, company raised their price 10% there wouldn't be so much as a ripple in the sales figures but there would be a big jump in profits. If one company lowers it's price 10% they all do. I saw mention in this thread of the cost of e machines. I pretty much agreed with the person posting but what bothers me is that eventually all computer mfgrs will try to match that price. (Dell in a Walmart). There will be a point where the computer will be a throwaway. Pay $250.00, use it a year, throw it away. No service or quality offered. That is what we can look forward to and it's a bad deal on a multitude of levels.

it's reached that level for some printers, a while back Target was selling basic lexmark printers for $19. my lil sis bought several of them and when one runs out of ink, it gets trashed and she opens another box because it's cheaper to buy a whole printer that it is to replace the ink in it

I really like what was done with this exercise. It just goes to show that you can't treat people crappy because you never know who's on the other line. If she lost her job over this, she deserved to. She did it to herself.

I really like what was done with this exercise. It just goes to show that you can't treat people crappy because you never know who's on the other line. If she lost her job over this, she deserved to. She did it to herself.

I work in a call center. Don't like it, but after my car was rear-ended by some drunk, I needed a job where I could sit all day. So, yeah--I do customer service for cell phones. I've been reading these forums for a long time and never felt the desire to post until now. Whoever made the remark putting down customer service reps because they "read from a script", etc and work for minimum wage, thereby insinuating that we're all idiots and not capable of doing our job, needs to apologize to the thousands of decent, hard working people that have to deal with these sorts of calls every single day, all day, one after the other! How dare you imply that I am incapable of doing my job! Until you take 70 calls a day, from people that don't have a clue as to how to phrase a question, or even enunciate their name and number (!), don't elevate yourself above me. Sit in my chair for a week. Take the call from the person who wants me to give them a list of all the calls they made in 2004. Take the call from the lady who is going to cancel because we sent her a reminder about her bill that hasn't been paid in 3 months. (How dare we expect to get paid!). Take the call from the guy who doesn't know how to turn his phone off, or the one who wants me to tell him who HE called last week at 2:45 am...and he doesn't really know which day. And then, there are the hundreds of people each week who claim they "couldn't have gone over their minutes and we should just take off all those overage charges". Right. :pullhair:

So, until you have done my job, you have no right to judge my job performance. Oh, and by the way, I am required to read a script for the simple reason that it makes the call flow better and, therefore, faster. Otherwise, the caller would be floundering around trying to explain something that he really doesn't understand and I'd be on that call for an hour trying to help him. I do my job, and I do it well. Thank you for listening.

It was not my intention to bait this technician. To be honest, I thought they would just help me understand what was going on with the hidden partition space. Then I would just place the information in my video. I was not intending to entrap anyone.

Surely, since you are an experienced PC user, you were aware that the operating system was stored on that space, right? Did you just want to make this girl's work day miserable by acting like you didn't know anything about the partition being used to store the OS info? Frankly, I'm sure she gets enough REAL idiots calling her everyday with even more idiotic questions than yours. Nothing better to do that day? Hmmm?

i've done your job. i worked for 3 years with at&t wireless...

it's a :filtered: job that most people can do. yes, you have to deal with idiots...yes, you have to be patient. however, what job do you not have that?

the bottom line, for me, is that when you are providing customer support, you are doing so voluntarily and because the customer is paying you to do so. the customer should absolutely expect excellency in the support they provide. this means no rudeness, shortness, or representatives of the company who cannot exhibit patience.

i call bs on what you say about the scripts...they are for people who are too lazy to understand what they are saying and be able to put it into a frame that different people will be able to easily grasp. not everyone thinks alike as a script may suggest.