Sign in to follow this  
Keith_L

PC Pitstop Hall of Shame

NOW JOE I APPOLOGIZE IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE CAPS LOCKS ON - OKAY PERFER IT WHEN I TYPE AND JOE NOT ALL REP - AGENTS HAVE BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE THERE ARE ALOT OF EXCELLENT UNDERSTANDING KNOWLEGDABLE TECHNICAINS WITH PERFECT RANKS AND STACK RANKS - PERFECT IN EVERY ASPECT - LIKE I HAD MENTIONED SOME PPL JUST CHOOSE NOT TO PERFORM THEIR JOBS CORRECTLY IN REPRESENTING GATEWAY THAT IS NOT AN EASY WAY OF CONTROLING 1 REP OUT OF OVER 2 MILLION OTHERS REPS AND AGENTS ALL CROSS THE WORLD ALL AT THE SAME TIME AT THAT EXZACT TIME ON THAT ONE SPECIFIC REP THAT IS A UNCONTROLABLE SOURCE AND WE ARE ALWAYS MOINTORED ALL DAY AND INTERMITTENT TIMES FOR THAT REASON AND ADDRESS THE ISSUE TO PROVIDED AND ADEQUATE REACTION TO THE TYPE OF ACTIONS PERFORMED BY THAT INDIVIDUAL GIVEN ON WHAT GROUNDS WHAT ACTIONS - WHAT WAS PERFORMED WHAT WAS NOT REPRESENTED ACCORDINGLY TO PROCESS AND GUIDELINES AND IN RESULT ENDS IN A TYPE CONQUENCE FOR THE ACTIONS DEMONSTRATE UP TO IMMEDIATE TERMINATION ... WITH ALL DOCUMENTATION AND MULTIPLE MANAGER REVIEWS ILL BE BACK REPLY IF YOU WILL AND THE ID10T ERROR IS A VERY EXCELLENT DEMONSTRATION OF YOUR IQ LEVEL INTELLIGANCE IS LACKING IN YOUR PERSONALITY - REPSECTIBLE STATEMENTS TO A RESPONSE WILL GET A RESPECTIBLE RESPONSE TO A STATEMENT - BUD WE ARE NOT 12 PLEASE IM NOT DIRECTING COMMENTS TOWARDS YOU BUT HAVE U WILL DIRECT TO ONE CERTAIN INDIVIDUAL THAT DOESNOT DESERVE ANY TYPE OF RESPECTIBLE RESPONSE FROM ME I DO UNDERSTAND THE MEANS OF RECORDING AND I WILL GLADLY VOLUNTEER TO BE RECORDED AGAIN BECUASE I HAVE ALREADY ACKNOWLEGDE A PREVIOUS CALL FROM THIS ROB AND I ACTED IN THE BEST IN PERFORMANCE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES AND PROCEEDURES AND AGREED FOR ROB TO USE MY INFORMATION IN ANY WAY FEELS MAKES HIM FEEL BETTER IN HIS SITUATION I ASSURED ROB ALL REPONSE AND ACTIONS 100% ACCURATE TO THE JOB DESRIPTION AND JOE I AM A TOP TECHNICAIN WITH ALL PEAK PERFORMANCE AND CSAT - GLADLY OPEN TO MAKE A CDROM FOR ROB IF HE NEEDS HELP BURNING THE CD ROM I HAVE A DEPARTMENT THAT WILL ASSIST HIM - I WILL BE RIGHT BACK AND JOE YOU SEEM KNOWLEGDABLE I WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE OUR CONVERSATION IN A FEW MINUTES OPEN FOR RESPONSES OR ISSUES THAT NEED ADDRESSING

SO WHAT IS THE CONQUENCE FOR MOINTERED TECHNICAINS, OR SHOULD I SAY WHAT EXZACTY THE PERFERED SCREENING METHOD WHEN HIRING :lol:

Because it looks to me like that screening method has failed them miserably.

Methinks someone is most definitely in the wrong line of work.

You also sound like you have been through the Rogers School of Customer Service.

I went through and read all of these posts and some pages more than once, after listening to the calls made by 'The Administrator', the secret shopper. This topic caught my attention because this is something we all fight and some of us daily. I've had good and bad experiances with Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, HP/Compaq, IBM...the list goes on...including MicroSoft, Caldera (SCO), VMS, Xenix, Unix (several versions)...and on, and on...

I think many good points were brought out, I liked what IntelGuy said and agree 100%. Mary Ann should have been taken out of the loop to be re-trained, timed-out as someone else said, possibly got off from a previous bad call, regardless of reasons the new caller doesn't want to know about this. He wants HIS/HER problem solved and didn't like the answers they were receiving, but you should always give them a pleasant voice, sometimes stern but pleasant. Part of our courses with our company deals with a client/customer that can't be pleased. Her case she lacked the knowledge to fully answer the question nor did she seek to dissolve the apprehensiveness and above all, didn't assure the caller she would get to the bottom of the issue. If she was truly quoting company policy but she couldn't answer why to this question (a tough question as I'm sure "The Administrator" knew) she should have asked the caller if he would like to speak with her supervisor for further assistance if this was "Company Policy" for not helping to remove the D:. Or, ask him to be put on-hold while she consults with someone, and if he doesn't agree leave the line open and seek your answer, after all business phones and many home phones have a "mute" button. One writer said she was fired over this, unless this has happened many times prior, Gateway shouldn't have fired her over this and she should have been shown how to fix this. During Group meetings as an example for everyone to learn, hand slapped (don't bring your home troubles to work, you deal with the public), or one on one to solve this. In America, if you can't do your job, hell you get promoted.

One lady said she never speaks above her students (if I read that correctly), I disagree in the phone support world. You don't know who your talking to and I can count on one hand how many times I've heard "they talk above me, I just don't understand" but I hear ALL THE TIME, "they talk DOWN to me,(as LadySilver? said) I want nothing more to do with them they treat me like I'm an idiot". Being in this profession for way to many years I found it is much easier to say, "I'm so sorry sometimes I get ahead of myself" and you can bring it down a level or two and at this point take it as far as it needs to go, the client realizes they are not savvy and appreciate someone taking the time to help them. When I'm lucky enough to have to work the TechDesk sometimes, I never go step by step, character by character until the client asks me to. Example: I'll start with "go to Services", if they know I let it ride, if they say "ummm, where?" I'll say "pull up Administrative Tools" again if they know I let it ride. If not, I'll say "click Start Button..." and continue from there, I now know what level they are and so do they and they listen so much better. If they take off and suddenly go somewhere else let them go. When they get stopped simply say, "Sir (or Ma'am, I'm allowed to say Ma'am because I'm from the South) this is what I'm working on, please go back to the point that we were". Sometimes I have to help them get back, but rarely will they stray again.

I installed a server and a few PCs at a large Pharmacy once, and half way through he said "I'd give anything to know what you know". I turned around throwing a hand out motioning to the twelve 10 foot racks he had and said, "I'd give anything to know what any drug I picked up from these racks does, reacts to and their side affects, let's not even get into the proper spelling". He looked at me a minute and said, "your right, we chose our own professions". I went back to work.

To the person that critisized Dell computers for having to send them back many times for repairs. In my 19 years I've never had to send back a server, mini or PC. PC meaning hundreds of Dells, HPs, Compaqs or IBMs that they didn't simply send me a part to replace and fix. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you a liar, just maybe you needed to ask them differently when you have a bad part.

Boy am I glad I don't own a Gateway or E-Machine. The master tech sounds like he is a stereotype geek that can't spell, doesn't know good English and sure doesn't know courtesy or how to talk to people properly with respect. How the heck could he train anyone else. If all their phone techs are trained by this guy, no wonder we have the difficulty we have.

In all honesty, I have talked to many techs who were knowledgeable and courteous even when I asked a stupid question.

The problem any tech center has is finding people qualified in both technical aspects and people skills. Not many of them around. Folks with people skills are usually not technically oriented and vice versa, hence the "geek" stereotype.

The guy who made the call obviously knew what the D drive was for. Any of us who have worked on computers for a while know that. The problem is the person on the phone did not and covered up her lack of knowledge with a stupid answer. What she should have been trained to do is pass the call on to someone who did.

I have been talking to AT&T on the phone about my new WiMax broadband. They have a 3 tier system. If the tier 1 guy can't solve the problem, it is passed on to tier 2. If no help there, on to tier 3. All have been very helpful and courteous.

The problems I had with HP support were that I could never talk to a supervisor. Seems I am not alone. I just added a new page to my site to post some of the horror stories about bad service from HP.

http://www.barrett.net/hphorrors.html is the new page and http://www.barrett.net/ihatehp.html is my original rant. Sure haven't had anyone from HP try to justify their behavior.

Edited by kg7ka

i have a gateway and it is the biggest piece of crap i ever seen. from the day i got it i was on the phone with there so called tech support and i was still new with computers and knew more then they did. the so called techs couldnt fix anything if they couldnt read it from a computer screen.

Edited by dog_soldier

i have a gateway and it is the biggest piece of crap i ever seen. from the day i got it i was on the phone with there so called tech support and i was still new with computers and knew more then they did. the so called techs couldnt fix anything if they couldnt read it from a computer screen.

Edited: personal attack - - I_G

I'm getting an impression from the posts in this thread by all of the gateway tech's posting here that it's o.k. to be rude

Yeah, when I first heard the audio tape, I knew it was very possible to be either an isolated incident or just the tech having a bad day. But from reading posts by the so-called "Gateway" people, it really makes me wonder. Are these people really from Gateway, or just someone trying to give Gateway a bad name? If it's the latter, they're doing a good job.

How is that this man can record the conversation with Mary Ann without her consent. She did not know that she was been recorded. I am very upset that she would be fired over this and nothing legally is happening to this man. All tech workers are not perfect, but some customers that do come on the other end of there phone lines are very rude and hard to deal with.

To me LEGAL matters should be taken with the gentleman caller he was in the wrong for RECORDING Mary-Ann. If he was video taping her without her consent it would be the same thing. So Someone from Gateway had best do the right thing and have him charged.

You all should not look at how Mary-Ann handled the conversation or the call, you should be looking at the fact that she was been recorded unknown. Now I do know that Gateway does record there conversations for there monitoring use, but not for anything like this.

HE SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH A CRIME BECAUSE WHAT HE DID TO MARY-ANN WAS WRONG. AND FOR GATEWAY NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT IS ALSO WRONG.

I KNOW I AM USING CAPITALS BUT I AM VERY UPSET WITH THIS WHOLE MATTER.

Now I do know that Gateway does record there conversations for there monitoring use, but not for anything like this.

Okay, so there's 2 copies then. :lol: What's the big deal? :shrug:

Okay, so there's 2 copies then. :lol: What's the big deal? :shrug:

She should of been told at the beginning of her conversation with him that he was recording her. Her rights have been vilated by him. It is so wrong.

I have called Gateway before my self, and yes they do record you and no they do not say so every time nor do they give you an option to opt out. so i guess it comes down to what is less or more legal.

How is that this man can record the conversation with Mary Ann without her consent. She did not know that she was been recorded. I am very upset that she would be fired over this and nothing legally is happening to this man. All tech workers are not perfect, but some customers that do come on the other end of there phone lines are very rude and hard to deal with.

To me LEGAL matters should be taken with the gentleman caller he was in the wrong for RECORDING Mary-Ann. If he was video taping her without her consent it would be the same thing. So Someone from Gateway had best do the right thing and have him charged.

You all should not look at how Mary-Ann handled the conversation or the call, you should be looking at the fact that she was been recorded unknown. Now I do know that Gateway does record there conversations for there monitoring use, but not for anything like this.

HE SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH A CRIME BECAUSE WHAT HE DID TO MARY-ANN WAS WRONG. AND FOR GATEWAY NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT IS ALSO WRONG.

I KNOW I AM USING CAPITALS BUT I AM VERY UPSET WITH THIS WHOLE MATTER.

There is no proof that she was actually fired. The official reason given by a 'Gateway Tech' for recording conversations, as well as the Gateway recorded message, is to provide training to improve service. So if the customer records the conversation instead of Gateway the policy changes to 'fire the employee'? That simply does not make any sense.

Also, it has already been stated that the laws of the state where the recording was done only require that one party know that the call is being recorded. Besides, as a Gateway tech, the prudent thing to do would be to assume that every conversation may be recorded, as that is what is stated to the caller.

And if you're saying that MaryAnn would have behaved differently had she known she was being recorded, how wrong is that? It's OK to be rude if you think you're not going to be recorded? :huh:

There is no proof that she was actually fired.

Thanks for mentioning that IntelGuy...I was wondering where that information came from and if it was, infact, truthful.

I'm getting an impression from the posts in this thread by all of the gateway tech's posting here that it's o.k. to be rude

no it is not ok to be rude to anyone. and when I am talking to a cust on the phone no matter how frustrating the call and the cust is being rude with me, I will try to be as friendly and helpful as I can. but here everyone is really cutting down gateway technical support all because of 1 person that got recorded (without her knowledge or consent) that was not the friendliest.

But she was aware that she was being recorded albeit gateway, doesn't make a difference who was recording, She was aware that a recording was taking place. It was said that this gal was 75 yrs old too, so I highly doubt that she was fired

Edited by Joe C

So all know Mary Ann was not fired. She was transferred to another divison of the company and retrained. So all is good At Gateway once again. All techs there are doing a wonderful job and I would not think anything different. I have friends and people that are close to me that work there and they Love there jobs. Even when times are hard.

Here's a novel concept, hire people that actually have some idea what they are doing and talking about with regards to computers; that when they don't get flustered when a customer asks a question that isn't on the cue cards.

I love this thread so much, I actually felt a need to make a few comments:

First of all to our legal professionals: IN SOME STATES you need both party's consent to record a conversation AND use it in a court of law. What this means is: if there is a case pending in court between the caller and Gateway, the law of the state the suit was filed in would dictate whether or not the call was allowed to be used in court. It has nothing to do with what was posted on a Web site.

Secondly: THE CUSTOMER IS KING. I saw from the postings that not everyone agreed with this. Some people even said its the customers fault for not researching the computer they bought. I don't care how you look at it. IF ANY COMPANY WANTS MY HARD EARNED MONEY then I expect to be treated like a valuable person. If my experiences were bad, I would probably take my business elsewhere. Yes "let the buyer beware" holds true; but if you want a long-term customer then treat me accordingly.

Third: Just for the record, I currently use an emachines computer. In the past few years I also bought my son one, and my mother one. My previous computer was also emachines. For me, the sales price for the package is worth it. I upgraded the RAM, but it was still so much cheaper than custom building one from scratch (at least for my uses). Believe it or not, I have never had to contact customer service. I never had a major problem with any of them. I can do basic repairs but half the people reading this thread are probably more tech savvy than me. To me this speaks wonders about the quality.

Finally: May I point out here that some companies pay outside people to call their support staff and monitor their responses. Gateway got a free ride here. Does that mean that all Gateway staff are bad? No it doesn't. We all have companies we have had bad experiences with. For various reasons, I personally will never allow AT&T to receive a dime of my money again. I had a series of problems with them. I felt I was not treated like a valuable customer. The same principle applies here to some people. I also don't buy the 75 year old lady story (she sounded way too young) but even if she was 75 or brand new, that is no excuse for giving wrong answers or being rude. The first rule should be: if you don't know the answer find out or pass the call to someone who can help.