Sign in to follow this  
Keith_L

PC Pitstop Hall of Shame

Some replies here seem to suggest that we should ignore the rudeness and instead consider the kind of day the support person has had, how their personal life is currently. Do them a favor, don't bother them with your petty problems and questions.

No I think some of us are uneasy about what we consider entrapment, and baiting.

This video, phone call will have absolutely no effect on any of these companies.

We all know how bad tech support can be, and how great it can be. If the idea was to only point out bad or inadequate tech support it could have been done without mentioning the name of the company, the tech support's name or badge number. Instead it comes off like a vendetta against Gateway. Sorry we all hear things a little differently. I see I'm not the only one with this opinion.

I was expecting to hear something really bad, but only heard exasperation on the part of the Gateway employee who obviously wasn't up to the task. Agreed: Tech support is frequently less than competent -- always has been, probably always will be. Not only Gateway ... Tech support, in general, is pathetically inadequate.

My own rule of thumb with respect to disk drives and other tech specifications -- Always expect less than advertised. For one thing, a "gigabyte" is sometimes claimed by a manufacturer to be 1,000,000,000 -- a power of 10 -- whereas the original definition is 2 to the 30th power, a power of 2. The larger the disk, the greater the discrepancy between the two definitions.

Although the example makes interesting conversation, my approach in such circumstances is to make an additional tech support call or two, possibly asking for a supervisor if the second call proves unfruitful. I've had ISP support dismiss my support calls for my error in telling them what email program I use ("we don't support Eudora") when all I was asking was for the correct server designation; e.g., mail.xxxx.com???

Hi guys:

Yes, the Gateway tech support person was wrong. She had her facts wrong and was obviously annoyed by the whole line of questioning. Maybe because she did not have the technical expertise to answer the questions, or maybe she just finished talking with a customer such as the ones I have had to deal with in the past. No, I am not a tech support person, but I have worked with the general public a great deal and it can be a nightmare. Most people call tech support with a chip on their shoulder and they take it out on the tech support person. This is wrong also. Yes, the tech support person is a representative of the company (in this case, Gateway) and therefore, should conduct themselves accordingly. However, many, many customers call to complain or ask a question about a topic that they know nothing about. This means that the customer is already frustrated when they call, and is therefore, on a "short fuse" anyway. We almost have a case of "two wrongs don't make a right" here. In any case, the companies such as Gateway and Dell really need to re-evaluate their philosophy on tech support. I think that the 1st tier people either need to be better technically prepared and/ or be given a Dale Carnegie course (or some facsimile thereof) on how to handle difficult people. Almost always, the 1st tier tech support person will have a difficult person on the other end. I guess I would be angry also if I just spent $1000, $2000 or more on a computer and it was not performing up to snuff. There isn't a good answer, as the customer will always be more than a little naive about the system they are using and the 1st tier tech support person will always be less qualified than needed. Add in the language barrier now that tech support for some companies such as Dell is "farmed out" to foreign countries (if calling from the USA), and one has a recipe for total disaster. I have had support issues, myself, with Dell and most of the problem was obviously a language issue and not even a tech issue.

:clap: Hey Rob! I think I have it. Based on some of the replies you received from (what must be) cousins, brothers & sisters, etc., of the Gateway tech, let's give her an award. A nice plaque for her cubicle and inscribed with something like "Thanks Dumb......" She will display it with pride.

I just got the PC Pitstop newsletter and had to check out the tech support recordings due to my unbelievable experiences with Dell. I am computer savvy enough to do what I need/want to do most of the time, but I am definitely not technically savvy. I desperately needed help from Dell one time while the computer was still under warranty. I was connected to someone who was in INDIA and barely spoke English. I tried for nearly 2 hours to explain my problem to this guy, and could not make him understand. I begged him to put someone on the phone who spoke English, which he refused to do. I could barely understand his accent. After all that time, he then informed me he could not help me and I would have to be transferred to Tier 2. Afraid of starting all over, I went ahead and stayed on the phone. It took 2 more hours to get Tier 2, but this guy was an American, and it took him less than 10 minutes to talk me through the problem and fix it. You call that tech support, at ANY level? I will never buy a Dell again that reason. I will find someone to build a computer for me that will stand behind what they built. It's more like tech UNSUPPORT!!! :yucky:

Unfortunately, customer service, everywhere, has many times become customer disservice. Rudeness is too often tolerated. I teach my students to show respect even when it has not been earned. Though I teach computer skills, I am not an expert. (Note: even experts need help sometimes.) If I don’t know, I tell them. Yes, I do get frustrated, especially with those who will not listen. I do not, however, talk above my students’ heads or expect them to be experts.

HP, who has quality products, has lost my business because 1) I will not tolerate a person who treats me like I’m an idiot, 2) constantly interrupts me, 3) who lies to me either directly or by omission, and 4) I want to talk to someone whose accent is not so thick, I can’t understand them. I only spoke with one person who gave me the assistance I needed. He also apologized for the disrespect of his (several) company coworkers.

Bringing back respect, tact, and common courtesy will solve many, if not most, of the problems people deal with everyday.

This is the kind of frustration so many of us go through these days.

Welp, I always built my own until recently on impulse I bought an HP from Best Buy. Huge mistake! Numerous calls to HP (India?) and not being able to understand the "techs". Weird they all have names like Jack and Jane but I guess that is more easily identifiable to us. :P

I returned my HPs to Best Buy twice. I should have asked for a refund the 3rd time. The DVD burner destroyed my backup the first day and broken part came loose and got wedged in with the CD+R. I bought an additional gig of DDR and one of the memory banks was dead. The 3rd computer refused to make the Recovery discs and I had to send for them after trying the recommended HP media. Much of the support information that I could understand was wrong anyway. I've pretty much cannibalized my HP and upgraded it. :pullhair:

Homebuilt or local built is the way to go.

Beaulanger should have read my web page http://www.barrett.net/ihatehp.html before he made the mistake of buying one. I tell all my clients to buy the extended warranty if they choose to buy any HP or Compaq product. Many folks hate buying from Fry's or Best Buy but if you get the extended warranty, you don't have to deal with HP/Compaq. Guess the same applies to E-Machine since they are owned by Gateway. But with Dell, you are stuck with them. I have had pretty good service from Dell in the past but the problem is you have to send the computer to them and pay shipping. Bummer.

I am a computer tech of about 15 years now. These big companys outsource their tech support calls to small branch offices and prison convicts (cheap labor)!

I would like to see more that speak CLEAR english!!!

I would like to see more that have hands on training with the software!!!

That tech support call should be gave to gateway corprate office to let them know how the peons are doing.

and for the love of god, don't use aol! If you do, dont mess it up!!!!!!!!! if you do, do you know what happens....

it will be worse than that call every time....

aol stands for (A)ll (O)ut of (L)uck

just remember that when you have been on the phone over an hour waiting to talk to someone whe dosen't even speak the same language that you do.....

I have delt with aol many times for my customers and coulden't find anyone whe spoke clear english... just cant understand someone who barely speaks english as it is... and then they try to tell you how to do something that they don't even know how to do.... get a clue aol, gateway, dell, hp and all the rest..... aghhhhh

coulden't get any specific answers from aol... they all read from their little cards

aol just sucks.... stay far away....

sorry don't mean to make this sound like a grip session..... but it is!!!!!!!!

Hey Everyone

I am in the process right now, of going thru the absolute WORST customer support experience I've ever had....and it's HP Email support staff that have me tearing my hair out!!!

I'm an advanced user and usually build my own machines but due to time and money constraints at the moment, I purchased an HP Media Center TV m7760n from Best Buy. I've had 2 minor issues that I contacted HP email support about but in the end, I fixed myself.

My biggest issue has been 569 Warning messages that my Graphics were being overutilized (Intel 945 integrated, with 256 shared memory) with only Media Center and my email client running....uhhh...yah, not much I know, that's why I'm contacting HP about it.

To shorten a long story so far, I don't think these people actually READ my emails, they keep asking me to do the same things I said I've already done in previous emails, ignore my requests fo a supervisor, and generally...they just don't LISTEN TO ME!!!!

I have 15 replies from HP showing that none of my emails have been read or understood because they keep going over things I've said many times before, had been tried or eliminated. In one I told them I had a total of 810G's HDD space, with about 700G's free...so what did the next email tell me to do???

It went into how I can try to uninstall unused programs to regain some HDD space because low HDdisk space could be my problem...uhh...HELLO..is anybody there...

This has been a continuing problem and I've even contacted the CEO of HP, Mr. Mark Hurd, which of course got forwarded to the CEO of Customer Relations, but I'm trying to proove to them that the integrated graphics solution is not capable enough for this model's intended useage, as can be seen by the almost 600 warnings in 3 months.

No background startups other than AV & Firewall clients and my wireless KB & Mouse drivers, and usually only running Media Center, my email, and a browser with 2 or so open pages, so it;s not like I'm overloading the graphics is it.

Man...what a freakin headache this has been I tell yah, never again will I buy an OEM.

I would like to say a few words on this subject. Not all Gateway techs are that rude. I do admit that she did give you false info. But you were in the wrong as well by recording the phone call without her consent. I understand about the gateway tech support as I am one of those. But I am not rude to customers even tho they can frustrate you. You just deal with it and offer as much support as it takes to resolve the issue. So don't judge everyone at gateway tech support just because you got 1 rude agent on the phone.

gateway tech,

At the beginning, it states, "You call may be recorded for training purposes", then who decides that the call gets recorded from gateway's end? Is it the tech on call, or is it done randomly?

Why is it that customers always want everything now, everything their way, and everything for free? You know why you get India, or wherever? Because the money you pay for a warranty is laughable. $200 for 3 years of coverage? $200 might cover ONE component in a computer. You're basically getting the phone support as a free service, so why should they pay top dollar for it? If you think they should, you would run a company into the ground in under a week. The only reason they outsource is to keep prices down and save you, the ever complaining customer, money.

If you don't want to have a bad experience with tech support you need to NOT follow this customer's example. Make sure you know about your computer BEFORE you buy it. Read the warranty, it's available on the website. Read the configuration information, available on the website. Read the system specifications, also on the website. There isn't a single bit of information about these computers that isn't available either on the main or the support websites. The plain and simple fact is yes, the technician may have been rude, but it was the ignorance of the customer that caused this call to exist in the first place.

By the way, the customer also might want to remove the audio clip as I'm pretty sure the technician didn't agree to allow him to put it online. That's a violation of privacy laws, regardless if he had permission or not to record it. Something he might want to take into account was the technician was in Canada (thus the CA badge), and not South Dakota, so recording the call without permission was illegal regardless of the customer assumimg the tech's location based on the tech's vague responces.

If you don't want to have a bad experience with tech support you need to NOT follow this customer's example. Make sure you know about your computer BEFORE you buy it. Read the warranty, it's available on the website. Read the configuration information, available on the website. Read the system specifications, also on the website. There isn't a single bit of information about these computers that isn't available either on the main or the support websites. The plain and simple fact is yes, the technician may have been rude, but it was the ignorance of the customer that caused this call to exist in the first place.

:rofl3:

The "customer" knows about Gateway and the computers they sell :P

Rob Cheng

Chief Executive Officer

Rob is the former Senior Vice President of Gateway Direct.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/about/default.asp

Okay, GatewayTech2, upon your recommendation, I went to gateway's site and pulled up the specs on a couple of portables. Looking at the specs, where does it say anything about partitioning the drive? Am I missing it?

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529664467.php

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529664155.php

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529664469.php

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529664605.php

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529665537.php

So, if the info that Rob was asking about is listed on one of those pages, then I totally missed it. But then again, it makes me wonder if you actually heard what Rob was asking about?

With a new PC, I will always build those myself. However, I can't really do the same with a portable. I think information like what PCPitstop provided here is helpful to know who you're dealing with. I can understand that he might have gotten one bad apple when he called. The purpose of his call wasn't to demonstrate bad tech support. It was more to get to the bottom of why there was a recovery partition and how to remove it. Rob himself knows how to remove this partition. But the "average" computer user more than likely doesn't. In fact, I would say that if they did, they wouldn't be average.

I don't think he's just picking on Gateway. I believe that he will check with other OEM vendors as well.

I don't think he's just picking on Gateway. I believe that he will check with other OEM vendors as well.

There is also a call to Dell in the hall of shame.

I would like to address the legal issues around recording telephone calls.

1. The recording was done in my house in South Carolina, which is a one consent state. This means, that when a recording is done, at least 1 party that is talking must be aware of the recording. Since the recording was done in South Carolina, it is the laws of my state that apply. Similarly, Mary Ann said that she worked in South Dakota which is also a one consent state.

2. Secondly, Gateway has a notice that the call may be recorded for quality control purposes. This notice does not specifically say that Gateway and only Gateway may record this call. I believe that if Gateway has the right to record the call, then we as consumers have the right to record the call as well. In fact, I think that Gateway should say, "By continuing with this call, you are forfeiting all rights to record the call." Then it would be an open and shut case.

Overall, I chose to remove most of Mary Ann's comments from my video because I was afraid that the message of the video would be lost because people would focus on her rudeness. However, I decided to put up the recording in its entirely because I feel it is a service to all consumers. If one reads this thread, many people have had poor customer service experiences across ALL PC manufacturers, and across all industries, and there is an underlying frustration in the marketplace.

If the purpose of Gateway's call recording is

to monitor and ensure techs are doing their jobs correctly - if not they get trained on what they did wrong and how to be a better tech.

then I do not understand why

This nice woman lost her job because of this.

That makes no sense. Why wasn't she

trained on what they did wrong and how to be a better tech

?

Actually, it was kind of fun because I knew that I was recording her. I am not sure what I would have done if I had not been on tape.

THANK YOU FOR CALLING INTO GATEWAY ROB I LISTEN TO THE RECORDING THAT YOU HAD PROCESSED OF ONE OF MY AGENTS THAT AGENT THAT YOU HAD RECORDED IS A 75YR OLD LADY THAT HAD BEEN 1 WEEK INTO HER SHEDULED SHIFT OUT OF TRAINING ... THAT RECORDING HAD NO PURPOSE TO IT, THAT LADY HAS NOT BEEN EMPLOY.. LONG EVEN TO ELABORATE ON SPEFICATIONS ON A COMPUTER - SO CONGRADULATIONS YOU HAD ACCOMPLISH EMBARRASING AN OLD LADY THAT KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT COMPUTERS TO THE ENTIRE WWW - IM SORRY BUT ALLOW ME TO SAY THIS TO YOU YOU ARE THE MOST DIS -RESPECTFULL ,RUDE ,LEAST KNOWLEGDABLE AND NON TECHNICAL INCLINED PERSON IN SOCIETY - YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CRITIZE OTHER PPL ON KNOWLEGDE THEY DO NOT KNOW OKAY I HAVE TALKED TO YOU BEFORE ON MY INBOUND ROB AND LET ME SAY THIS YOU HAD INFORMED ME THAT THIS CALL WAS RECORDED I DIDNT MIND NOT ALL ALL I AM AN ACIT .. AND YOU KNOW HERES A FACT FOR YOU IF YOU CANNOT DO IT YOUR SELF OR YOU DO KNOW THE ANSWER TO A SPECIFIC QUESTION YOU ARE A TYPE OF PERSON THAT WILL CRITIZE AND CUT PPL DOWN BECAUSE YOU YOUR SELF ARE NOT TECHNICALLY INCLINED ABOUT A COMPUTER - ROB THE HONESTLY TRUTH ROB I WOULD NOT HELP YOU EITHER -DISCRIMINATION AND NO APPRECAITION FOR ASSISTANCE FROM MY GATEWAY AGENTS THAT TRY THERE BEST TO PROVIDE ADEQAUTE ANSWERS EXPECTATIONS AND RESOLUTIONS TO PPL THAT ARE REQUESTING GATEWAY ASSISTANCE

GATEWAY ACIT AGENT,

Take a pill.

and I personally don't believe for one minute that your agent sounds like she's 75, and why are you having unskilled people answer calls for anyway? That's not a good business practice to help your customers

Retired folks?....are you using walmart greeters? :geezer:

Edited by Joe C

NOW ROB YOU MAY ASSUME YOU ARE RIGHT IN EVERY WAY NO ONE IS GOING TO DISAGREE WITH YOU ON WHAT YOU HAVE DEMONSTARTED - SO LETS CALL YOU.. PLACE YOU ON THE SPOT AND REQUEST A TECHINCAL RESPONSE FROM YOU ON A TECHNICAL QUESTION THAT I WOULD REQUEST YOU ANSWER LETS ADDRESS THE AMOUNT OF ACCURATE TECHNICAL AND CORRECT RESPONSES THAT YOU MAY HAVE AND I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS FOR YOU THAT I MY SELF WOULD LIKE CORRECT ANSWERS FOR, AND I WILL TAKE THAT RESPONSE AND POST IT ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB ROB AND YOU CAN DEMONSTRATE YOUR AMOUNT OF KNOWLEGDE TO ME AND EVERYBODY ELSE ... FOR ALL IM CONCERED YOUR JUST ANOTHER BILL GATEWAYS ..... WANT TO ASK ME A QUESTION ROB .. IAM A GATEWAY CERTIFIED INFORMATION HELPDESK TECHNICAIN BY THE COLLEGES AND UNIVERISTIES OF THE MINISTRY OF ******* YOU COMPUTER HAS A PROBLEM YOU DONT FIX IT WE DO - YOU DONT OBTAIN THE NECESSARY INFORMATION YOU RECOVERY D: IS TO RECOVER WINDOWS MANUFACTURE STATE THE REASON THE DISK IS PROVIDED TO YOU THAT CONTAINS THE SAME INFORMATION ON IT IS TO RE-INSTATE BOTH PARTITIONS D: , C: IF THE RECOVERY PARITION IS UNABLE PROCESS THE FACTORY RECOVERY OPTIONS THAT IS PROVIDED TO YOU BECAUSE YOUR SYSTEM IS A MEDIALESS SYSTEM - WHICH IS DESIGNED TO RECOVER YOUR WINDOWS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE DISK TO REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER AND THE SYSTEM RECOVERY DVD CONTAINS HIDDEN MANUFACTURER OPTIONS IN ORDER TO RUN DIAGNOSITICS ALLOW SOFTWARE REPAIR TO STABLIZE WINDOWS TO ACCESS VALUBLE FILES TO YOUR CONVIENCE - AND WIPE ALL SECTORS OF THE HDD IN ORDER TO RE-INSTATE A CLEAN VERSION OF THE WINDOWS RESULT OF SW CORRUPTION - AND THEN THERE IS PPL LIKE YOU THAT DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT ACTUALLY CONSISTS OF AND THE PURPOSE SERVES - HEY ROB LETS ERASE IT ITS TAKING UP VALUBLE ROOM ON MY HDD .....HEY ROB WE OFFER TUTOIRALS LESSONS TO EDUCATE YOU AND EXPLAIN TO YOU TO HELP YOU LEARN AND UNDERSTAND WHAT A COMPUTER CONSISTS OF - READ THE MANUAL STOP HARRASSING PPL AND READ THE WARRANTY UPSET PPL JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND - TUTORIAL LESSONS ARE 2.95 /PER M - RESPECT THE FREE HELP OR YOU CAN PAY FOR IT - IT WAS NICE CHATTING ROB AND YOU COMPUTER IS NOT 2 GRAND RIGHT NOW IT IS WORTH 12 BUCKS ITS OLD AND YOU ARE OOW .. PLEASE RESPOND TO MY REPLY IM LISTENING AND IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO ASSIST YOU ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE PLEASE MESSAGE ME - RESPONSE IS PROMISED I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY AND ROB KNOWLEGDABLE QUESTIONS I ANSWER YOUR TYPE OF QUESTIONS EVERYDAY- HOW ABOUT U EDUCATE ME SMART GUY

from your posts and caps lock, you have an 1.D.1.0.T error on your kb

JOE NOT EVERYBODY IS TECHNICALLY INCLINED WHEN THEY AQUIRE MASSIVE AMOUNT OF OVERWHELMING INFORMATION ON EVERY COMPUTER EVERY DESCRIPTION - EVERY ISSUE - EVERY SOLUTION - ON ABOUT 700 DIFFERENT PRODUCTS ON TOP OF WARRANTY SCOPES - MULTPLE PROGRAMS - SPECIFICATIONS AND OTHER SENARIOS OF RELAVANCE TO INFORMATION THAT WAS OVERLOADED IN 4 WEEKS OF TRAINING ON TOP OF PPL BEING DISRESPECTFUL AND UN APPRECAITIVE OF ASSISTANCE PROVIDED AND ATTEMPTED TO ASSIST AND ON TOP OF THAT ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS THAT ARE ADEQUATE FOR THE SITUATION SOME PPL ARE JUST NOT FIT FOR THE JOB BECAUSE THEY KNOW JUST AS MUCH AS THE OTHER PERSON ON THE OTHER SIDE - ITS WHAT IS BEST DECRIBED AS EQUALITY ALL PPL TREATED EQUALLY THE REP WAS NOT FIT FOR THE POSITION AND NOW HAS RETIRED BECAUSE SHE WAS NOT OFFERED THE ABITILTY TO ATTEMPT AND DEMONSTRATE WHAT WAS ABLE TO DEMONSTRATE ..GATEWAY AGENTS ARE RELYED ON AND THE PRESSURE OF PROFEESSIONAL PERFORMANCE FOR NEW LEARNING AGENTS TO BECOME OVERWHELMED AND PRESSURED FOR A DISERED ANSWER THAT IS CORRECT WHICH IS EXPECTED THE AGENT QUIT STATS DID NOT PULL RANK AND THE REP COULD NOT HANDLE THE AMOUNT OF DEPENDANCY OF PERFORMANCE - THAT JOB REQUIRES MASSIVE AMOUNT EXPERIENCE AND TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE SOME PPL UNDER PRESURE BACK OUT AND THEN IN RESULT TERMINATING APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT - I PLACE RESPECT IN PPL THAT ARE RUDE TO ME AND THEN STILL OFFER THE BEST ASSISTANCE POSSIBLE TO EVEN PPL THAT ARE DISRESPECTFUL TOWARDS INDIVIDUALS AND GATEWAY IN GENERAL - THAT MY FRIEND IS ALSO EXPECTED ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PHONE - COMES AROUND....GOES IN SOME PPLS OPTIONS

I think the main point that's come out of your post GATEWAY ACIT AGENT is that Gateway put untrained staff on the phonelines. I find that amazing, why do that? And now you have fired this lady rather than finish her training, can you explain why because it seems to me the wrong person lost their job.