Sign in to follow this  
sinnerboy74

Can't restore XP

I installed Regseeker on XP sp2 to clean up my registry and after making backups with the program and a system restore point I cleaned up the registry. After the clean up I have problems with windows media player 11 in that it won't play dvds any more, music files are ok. When I start up my computer the log on music is also all scratchy and skipping.Same thing when I connect to the internet, I use dial up and when it's connecting the dialing tone does the same.

I tried restoring the deleted reg entries with regseeker backup and it restored all except some green entries. I get an error "can't acess the registry" when I try to merge them back in. I also tried restoring my computer to earlier dates but it won't restore. Can anyone please help me with this problem.

try using system restore from before you first tried cleaning ut the reg, and get a better reg cleaning program if you must use a reg cleaner

Thanks for responding but thats the problem my computer won't restore to any of restoration points made before the changes and I can't reinstall the reg entry back ups from regseeker.

rebbot your pc and between the post screen and the windowsscreen, tap the F8 key, from there try using "last known good configuration"

Thanks for your help Joe C, just rebooted using last known good configuration and I got an error message

"ERROR LOADING C:\windows\system32\fgcyudgp.dll The specified module could not be found"

Any ideas what this means, rebooting as above didn't fix it and also having problems with programs not responding and freezing on screen.

You can do a non-distructive repair if you have an XP disk. Go to Information Week website and look for Fred Langa article on step by step process.