Sign in to follow this  
jimr1354

Optimize runs once only

:cr@sh:

Hi,

I purchased Optimize and it was running fine until about a week or two ago. Now when I run it, I get an error message on the download speed test and the ping test. If I uninstall the program and then reinstall it, it works fine ONE TIME ONLY...no errors on the download speed test or the ping test. I have to keep uninstalling the program and then reinstalling it to use it one time.

I have checked everything out with the firewall and the settings and all the settings are correct.

My ISP is Comcast. Could a setting be wrong with Comcast? I even tried the "ping pcpitstop.com" test at the Command prompt and got this response:

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jim>ping pcpitstop.com

Pinging pcpitstop.com [64.29.201.21] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.29.201.21: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=241

Reply from 64.29.201.21: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=241

Reply from 64.29.201.21: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=241

Reply from 64.29.201.21: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=241

Ping statistics for 64.29.201.21:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 65ms, Average = 55ms

So how can I fix the Optimize program to work all the time?

:wp:

Haven't heard of this one before.

If Optimize is skipping the tests, it's timing out while waiting for a response. There is no way to adjust that. Optimize sends a signal, waits 'x' amount of time for a response, and moves on. The 'x' is hard-coded into the program. If it weren't sending the signal, it would be a different error message. So something is happening to the ping/data once it's sent.

I don't have any idea why it would work once after a reinstall. There is nothing 'remembered' in the program regarding the ping or download tests that reinstalling would 'reset'. That's a puzzler.

Just checking, but the settings for connection type and speed are being automatically saved on the first screen, I assume.

Your ping test is excellent, so that pretty much leaves a software conflict. And if it's getting through one time after a reinstall, and then getting shutdown, I would first take a look at any security software in use.

Please post a Tech Express link so we can take a look. If you haven't done that before, click on the yellow Tech Express Help under the logo in the upper left.

Hi, Jim here again,

I posted a link under TechExpress for the last test I ran on my computer. The only security I have running

on my computer is Adaware, Search & destroy, and Spyblaster. I have uninstalled all of them and ran the Optimize program and get the same results. I can only run it one time and then have to uninstall the program and reinstall it to get the Download speed test and the Ping test to work.

My Windows XP firewall is on. I even turned it off and get the same results. Under Exceptions, I deleted Optimize and checked the box to have the firewall ask me to allow the program to access the internet. I dont get any message. Like I said, the program used to work about 2 weeks ago and I think it was when I checked for an updated version and downloaded it, that I started having this problem.

Tech Express looks great.

Would it be an option for you to do a Windows System Restore to a point before the problem started?

No I dont think I can restore the system that far back. I like the Optimize program and want to keep using it, but loading and unloading it is a pain. Sure wish I knew what changed to keep it from working. You think a setting with Comcast might be affecting it?

That is definitely a possibility, but I wouldn't know where to begin looking. If you have the time, it may be worth asking Comcast if they made any service changes around the time the issue started.

On a practical note, it is rare that Optimize will find any changes to make in the Internet connection after the first few times it is run, unless there is a change in the connection type or speed, or a change of ISP. Not that's much of a work-around, but if you only reloaded the program once a month to scan the D/L and ping, I don't think there would be any negative impact.

Do you have any other computers in the house that you can install Optimize on and see if they are doing the same thing or not? If it will run fine on a different machine, that would at least start to isolate the issue.

That is definitely a possibility, but I wouldn't know where to begin looking. If you have the time, it may be worth asking Comcast if they made any service changes around the time the issue started.

On a practical note, it is rare that Optimize will find any changes to make in the Internet connection after the first few times it is run, unless there is a change in the connection type or speed, or a change of ISP. Not that's much of a work-around, but if you only reloaded the program once a month to scan the D/L and ping, I don't think there would be any negative impact.

Do you have any other computers in the house that you can install Optimize on and see if they are doing the same thing or not? If it will run fine on a different machine, that would at least start to isolate the issue.

Well I do have a spare drive that I was going to use if the current one ever died. I might just load Windows XP and some other things on it and see if I can connect with no problems. I will kepp you informed.

Well I do have a spare drive that I was going to use if the current one ever died. I might just load Windows XP and some other things on it and see if I can connect with no problems. I will kepp you informed.

Well, heres whats up with the problem concerning the Optimize program....... I had another drive in the closet..a new one...so I installed it in my computer and loaded Windows XP on it. I loaded Optimize on it too. When I ran the tests, a security window popped up and asked me if I wanted to block,unblock or skip access to the internet with this program. I clicked on the UNBLOCK access to the internet button and the program seems to be working fine. I never got that security window popping up on my other drive, so there must have been a glitch in Windows Xp that kept the program from working. So as I reload programs and antivirus programs etc... I run Optimize now and then and its ok now!

Thanks for all your help. JIM

Glad to hear you got it working.

Thanks for letting us know how you did it and what the issue was. :tup: