Sign in to follow this  
Username

PC turns itself on after FULL powerdown

Recently I exchanged a generic DVD player with a SONY DVD-CD RW and loaded NERO. Ever since, I began having problems where my computer after a FULL shut down, will wait about 30 minutes and power on. We are on DSL so there is constant connection.

I need to know if this could be some kind of BOT or SPYWARE or if it has to be mechanical, like power supply or motherboard going out.

NO PCPITSTOP TESTS RUN YET..... hope to soon.

this is a Frankemachine....an eMachine that motherboard burned out. Tower is a Casedge TK009-C300 with dual fans and 300W P4 power supply. Motherboard is ECS L4VXA2 with Phoenix 6 bios, Intel Celeron processor 1.8GHz, 896MB RAM, ATI AGP Xpert Pro2000(RagePro Fury) video card with 32MB onboard ram, have 2 HD with primary holding 3 partitions of XP prof- 1 logical partition with FILES and BTMagic, 2nd HD is HIDDEN with winME, logical files and BTMAGIC partitions, have 1 floppy drive, 1 cdrw, and just replaced the generic dvdplayer with SONY dvdcdrw with NERO. The ONLY changes prior to the pc powering itself on was upping the RAM by 512MB and installing the SONY dvdcdrw and its drivers. RAM was installed 2 weeks before the Sony dvdcdrw and the problem wasnt noticed until AFTER the Sony was installed. please advise. will hopefully run tests soon..... norton, adaware and purge did not find anything. thanks

I don't think it has anything to do with the installation of the Sony drive or Nero but I could be wrong. I had this same thing happen to me on a W2K Pro machine. Reboot your machine and go into the bios setup and look for "power management" or "boot options" something to that effect. In there is a setting such as

Wake on LAN

Wake on Modem

Wake on Keyboard/Mouse

Wake on Power Restore (starts the computer after power loss)

Plus some boards have the option to turn the system on at specified times.

Anyway, uncheck that option, save your settings, and restart the computer. You should be good to go.

I don't think it has anything to do with the installation of the Sony drive or Nero but I could be wrong. I had this same thing happen to me on a W2K Pro machine. Reboot your machine and go into the bios setup and look for "power management" or "boot options" something to that effect. In there is a setting such as

Wake on LAN

Wake on Modem

Wake on Keyboard/Mouse

Wake on Power Restore (starts the computer after power loss)

Plus some boards have the option to turn the system on at specified times.

Anyway, uncheck that option, save your settings, and restart the computer. You should be good to go.

Im running XP prof on what I THINK is an older motherboard. I did like you suggested and went into the bios setup which is PhoenixAward version 6. I did not find anything specific saying WAKE, but going through each of the changeable items in bios, I found CMOS setup Utility Power Management Setting/ IRQ Event Activity Detection/ this page lists VGA - LPT+COM - HDD+FDD - PCI Master - Resume by PCI PME - Resume by Ring - Resume by Alarm - and IRQs Activity Monitoring(leads to another page). All but the last one offers choice of off/on or enabled/disabled. The last one goes to another page that offers choices of enabled/disabled for the following and most are enabled...is this where I should be looking? Primary INTR - COM2 - COM1- LPT2 - Floppy - LPT1 - RTC Alarm - IRQ2 Redir - Reserved - PS/2 Mouse - Coprocessor - and Hard Disk.

I have not made any changes to these yet except to hit DEFAULT settings for that page which they already were in default so none changed. Let me know if this is what you were referring too. I did not see anything else close to what you listed except one single line that said PWRON after power failure and it is already marked DISABLED so I left it that way. Thanks for your suggestion and input.

I did get a suggestion from a parts seller who said that the NEW DVD BURNER pulls more power than the previous DVD player and he tried to sell me a higher watt power supply unit, mine being a 300watt, him suggesting at least 450watt or more if I intend to readd the old dvd player or additional HD. Do you think that is truth or is this guy just trying to make a sale? thanks for your opinion!

is you have sonic or roxio software and installed nero it will cause conflicts

is you have sonic or roxio software and installed nero it will cause conflicts

Thank you. I DID have ROXIO installed prior to putting in this new Sony dvd burner. I uninstalled roxio before I put in the new dvd player so it was uninstalled before I loaded Nero. BUT I will go into the registry and see if there may be some leftovers that could still be causing some problems.

Thanks again. Will check back with updates on this later. I did purchase a new power supply unit going up from 350W to 430W to see if that suggestion I received makes a difference. Of course a 600W was suggested, but I just dont have THAT kind of money.

Ok, I have turned off all WAKES or RESUMES, made sure there were no left overs from Roxio, disconnected the computer from the DSL line when shutdown AND replaced the 300watt psu with a brand new 430watt psu by thermaltake. I also removed the XP default to restart after power failure. Today I left the monitor in power saver mode which has a green blinking light. 3 hours after full shut down, the monitor was still blank with blinking light but I heard the cpu hard drive AND cpu fans running. When I moved the computer mouse the monitor came out of power saver and XP was up and running. There were no unknown programs running in task manager at that time and all my standard programs including Norton Anti-virus were in the system tray and operational.

Suggestions from other sources now include possible motherboard going bad, cpu going bad, surger protector going bad, electric socket having problems that effects the surge protector, the actual power switch on the motherboard going bad.

Still have not managed to run pitstop tests and programs, hope to get it done tomorrow, especially the one that looks for spybots.

thanks for all the help

Check connections on Motherboard from front panel. Just a thought.

the link below is what tech express gave me

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=T9JZHWESANWS3NDW

I just ran the basic test and reduced the temp cache as recommended.

This unit ran great until the day after I installed a brand new from unopened box Sony DVD burner and installed Nero that came with the burner. About 28 hours after installing this stuff was the 1st time the computer turned itself on after a complete shutdown..... and I had ALWAYS done a complete shutdown. I do not like leaving the unit on unattended. I had not even opened or run the Nero program just installed it. Since then, I have used Nero to capture video from old VHS and burn to DVD, with no problems. The computer has never turned itself OFF, never shut down and rebooted in the middle of anything unless the program specifically told me that in order to update system files the computer NEEDED to reboot and even then it ASKED me, and I shut it down. It shuts down fine. The only time this unit got HUNG was when I forgot to exit out of the ATI control program BEFORE I launced Nero and told Nero to start video capture. Everything froze... no keyboard, no mouse, no blinking cursor, so I had to press and hold the front panel power button to turn off. When I restarted, XP came up fine, I turned off the ATI control program, launced Nero and worked productively capturing video for about 3 hours with no difficulties. I shut the unit down for the evening and took about 20 minutes tidying up my work area. Next I took about 10 minutes to make the rounds and check the house was secured for the evening. When I walked past the dark workroom, I noticed the red led for my harddrive blinking. Entering the room I could hear the harddrive and fan running. I turned on the monitor and found XP fully loaded. I shut it down again and went to bed. It was on again in the morning. When it chooses to turn itself on, it is usually about 30 minutes to 1 hour after I have shut it down. I have replaced the psu with a new higher watt unit. I tested it yesterday and again it waited about 30 to 40 minutes then turned itself back on.....but it does not wake the monitor from power saver mode until I move the mouse. For the time being I am still shutting it down, then turning off the psu power switch so it CANT turn itself back on. I have turned off all wakes and resumes and restarts mentioned in the above responses. Thanks for all the help and I will post more results as I get more tests finished.

Installing a new drive can not cause the problem your having unless you bumped a switch or plug on your motherboard. A bad surge protector can not cause this problem provided you turn off in the bios restart after power failure/power off. Now a short can cause the system to not actually shut down properly but it would take a long period of time for it to restart.

You don't need a 600 watt power supply because that would be over kill running a much newer system with more hardware with a 420watt power supply quite well. My suggestion would be to look again in the bios to see if possibly your overlooked something in the bios that's causing this problem. You said you put your monitor in power save mode doesn't it shut down normally when you shut your system down? If not take it out of power saving mode and let it shut down with the system that could be keeping your system from shutting down normally. These are just suggestions.