Sign in to follow this  
GyroBware

Vista Speed Boost

You know that message you get in Vista every time you plug your Flash drive in? It asks you if you want to use it for "speed boost"? You invariably say yes and it comes back with a message saying that it is not fast enough to support this function? I have tried this over and over with different machines and different Flash Drives and have never seen it pass Vista's Test..........

Also....... Ever delete a bunch of files from a Flash drive? It takes almost as long to delete them as it did to write them. I had almost given up on the Flash Drive until I discovered.......................

************** RE-FORMAT THE DRIVE USING NTFS FORMAT (4k) ********************

The factory usually formats the drive as FAT32. FAT is a good name for this format beause it's slow and eats alot of bus time. NTFS is the way to go!! It requires a little more Flash memory for this format (35 Meg on a 4 Gig flash as oppossed to 4K for FAT32, but it's well worth it. I've only been able to NTFS format a Flash Drive on a Vista machine, but it is AMAZING !! Your new Drive is now quicker than ever for both XP and Vista.....and it's now fast enough to try it as "Speed Boost" on Vista. Don't have much info on perfomance of that function yet, but..........now, you have something you can really call FLASH !!

:clap:

FAT is a good name for this format beause it's slow and eats alot of bus time.

:rofl2:

Gotta love the nerd jokes

Edited by Simonsells91

Well done and valuable.

Thanks for the tip, I've seen immediate improvement.

:)Y

Hey Y a couple of quick questions for you,

1. How much ram and what size usb drive?

2. How much of a difference do you notice with and without the usb drive?

Hi stomy, this is the rig here: http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=BC9KFWN083WSMBBW

I'm running with 1 gb of ram and the usb drive is a 512 mb. I thought that with the boost I detected with the 512, that I might see even better performance gains with a 1 gb usb drive.

Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference so I went back to the 512.

As for the difference, with or without, I find that pages render faster on the web and that applications open quicker. I may be imagining things, but it seems to reboot quicker as well.

I was just watching a couple of videos on the web and even WMP seemed to open quicker. I opened the file on the usb drive and found the following: - <DeviceInfo>

<WMP DeviceID="{F6286262-DDBE-4EE6-811D-44EEB122FB41}" RelationshipID="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" />

</DeviceInfo>

:)Y

Vista speed boost is an oxymoron, true? :laughing:

Actually....if you give Vista some patience and a bit more overhead, it becomes much more powerful and efficient than XP. That is....until the next Vista update. :cr@sh:

Patience is a Real Virtue.....not to be confused with Virtual Reality.... :b33r:

:blink::argue:

Edited by GyroBware

Actually....if you give Vista some patience and a bit more overhead, it becomes much more powerful and efficient than XP. That is....until the next Vista update. :cr@sh:

Patience is a Real Virtue.....not to be confused with Virtual Reality.... :b33r:

:blink::argue:

My only issue with formatting a usb drive to NFTS is that it would render the .mp3 playing capability useless. So would it be safe to say not to format .mp3 players to NFTS?

My only issue with formatting a usb drive to NFTS is that it would render the .mp3 playing capability useless. So would it be safe to say not to format .mp3 players to NFTS?

Did it really happened to a USB drive of yours, I mean, after formatting to NTFS it didn't play mp3 anymore?

I think it's strange, 'cause you can play mp3s from NTFS HDs.

Edited by Paultx

Interesting idea. I tried this under WinXP because I wanted to speed up a 2G USB drive I use for backup. I have no plans to use Vista this year.

First: You can format a USB drive to NTFS under WinXP. After you connect the USB drive, go to Device Manager and double click on the drive (under 'Disk Drives') to bring up its Properties page. Click on the Policies tab and select 'Optimize for Performance.' Note the warning that after this change you should always use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray to disconnect this drive.

Second: Open a DOS window and enter the command FORMAT [drive letter of your USB drive!!!] followed by the following parameter: /FS:NTFS. The drive will be formatted with NTFS. The command I used for my experiment on my system was FORMAT I: /FS:NTFS.

The backup to USB drive under NTFS went a LOT faster!

Then I saw the comments about MP3 files not playing. I don't know about this. I copied two MP3 files and played them with WinAmp with no problem. I did notice that the first time I did this that WinAmp placed two small files in the root of the USB drive one of which (when I looked inside) warns that they are necessary for WinAmp to play files on the device. I suggest trying to play MP3s on your USB drive with WinAmp.

:mrgreen:

Did it really happended to a USB drive of yours, I mean, after formatting to NTFS it didn't play mp3 anymore?

I think it's strange, 'cause you can play mp3s from NTFS HDs.

I think the problem you are having playing the .mp3 files is you are trying to play them on a device that is not a Windows XP or Windows Vista PC, right? Once the drive is converted to NTFS, it will not work on other devices, unless it is reformatted back to FAT.