Sign in to follow this  
Minnie

How to Make Your Own Icons

It's shockingly easy to create your own icons using Windows XP... Let's do it!

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Paint

On the Image menu, click Attributes

Type 32 for both the Width and Height of the document, and make sure that Pixels is selected under Units

Click OK to create a new 32x32-pixel document: the size of an icon

Now add type, color, or do whatever you'd like to your image.

I like to shrink photos (headshots work great) to 32x32 and simply paste them into my Paint document.

When you're finished, open the File menu and click Save As.

Use the dialog box to choose where you want to save your file, then give it a name followed by ".ico" and click Save.

You just created an icon! Now you can change any shortcut or folder to your own icon!

Now you just right click on any icon, click Properties, select change icon.

Select browse and follow the path you set to your newly created masterpiece!

:clap::clap:

Thanks for the great tip. It worked for me and was a simple and painless process; however, I found that 50x50 worked better for me, as the image I used kept degrading at the 32x32 pixel size.

Now, how can I create an animated icon, animated avatar, and/or an animated image without having to 'spring' for a $700 utilities program...thanks again for your help. :cheers:

Are you familiar with Paint Shop Pro? You can do it in there for free. If you don't have Paint Shop Pro you can download their free trial for now to use. You can find that here PSP Download

You need to make sure you save it as a gif file. I know you can do this in psp 7 and i'm sure the higher versions, i believe it's all the way up to XI now.

Hope this helps!

Are you familiar with Paint Shop Pro? You can do it in there for free. If you don't have Paint Shop Pro you can download their free trial for now to use. You can find that here PSP Download

You need to make sure you save it as a gif file. I know you can do this in psp 7 and i'm sure the higher versions, i believe it's all the way up to XI now.

Hope this helps!

I'll most certainly give this a try...thanks once again. :)

Hey minnie this is for those who have Photoshop

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997636.aspx

the icons you make with photoshop can be used everywhere

is paintshop the same i dont know let me know if it is

because im looking for a good program similar to photoshop

Well, it didn't have an animation option nor did I like the fact that the program automatically converted all of my images over to Paint Shop Pro specific images, which I couldn't view with any other program nor with Windows image viewer. After reviewing/testing all of the program's features, I deleted it; however, I did like the program's photo aging feature...that was pretty slick. :cheers:

Well, it didn't have an animation option nor did I like the fact that the program automatically converted all of my images over to Paint Shop Pro specific images, which I couldn't view with any other program nor with Windows image viewer. After reviewing/testing all of the program's features, I deleted it; however, I did like the program's photo aging feature...that was pretty slick. :cheers:

The images should be viewable in all programs eve windows image viewer. you just need to save them in jpg format or gif. You were not saving them accurately. I have used this program for years and have used it to create avatars, banners for forums, and to work with photos. I'm sorry it was not a good experience for you. I guess to each their own for a program. :)

I just use Gimp. It's kind of complicated, but once you know how to use it it's as good, if not better than photoshop. And it's free!

I just use Gimp. It's kind of complicated, but once you know how to use it it's as good, if not better than photoshop. And it's free!

Hey! I have heard of that years ago and hears it is pretty easy to use...can i download it anywhere? I would not mind checking it out if it's free... :)

How do I change folder icons? I can see the 'Change Icon' option on shortcuts, but not on folders. Maybe I'm greener than people think I am :)

Is there anyway we can add the custom shortcuts we made to the windows shortcuts File

ie;(%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll) ?

Thank you for the idea Minnie, I give you a kiss for this one! :clap:

... Will you come and assist me with the artwork? :P

How do I change folder icons? I can see the 'Change Icon' option on shortcuts, but not on folders. Maybe I'm greener than people think I am :)

Go to the folder properties, then go to the far right tab. In there you can change the icon all you want. :)

Hope this helps!

how can you make it animated i have paint shop pro 11 if you can help me i would appreciate it ty

Hi,

Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 was the last version to include the Animation Shop - I keep that version installed for that reason, though there are other good animated GIF programs out there, like Easy GIF Animator.

I currently use Paint Shop Pro 9 (I didn't like many of the changes to version 10 and 11 after Corel took over the program from Jasc).

The best icon creation program I've found so far over the years is Axialis IconWorkshop. It has an excellent interface design, and you can create icons with multiple sizes, with XP drop shadows if you want, in no time whatsoever; it also makes 256x256 Vista icons if you need them. Superb.

Thanks for this tip.

I have tried it but, perhaps because I was forced onto Vista Home Premium when buying a replacement laptop for a defunct one, when I "save as" in Paint I also have to choose a type (various bmp options, gif, jpeg, tiff, png). Whichever type I choose I change the suffix to "ico". When I try to use my new icon to change the icon on an item, I get a message stating that my folder does not contain any icons - despite the fact that I can see them in Explorer with the "ico" suffix and icon file type is displayed in properties.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Ken Ormson

hey minnie...nice rip-off of a topic that was on the Microsoft website under the heading/column "5 Useful Windows XP Tricks" a long time ago...months, in fact...

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/5xptricks.mspx

don't take credit when you haven't earned it...plagiarism sucks!!!

If this is plagiarism, then every Windows tips is.

Microsoft designed Windows. Every possible tips you can find out there, works because Microsoft have made it possible. Everybody knows it. There is no need to give Microsoft credit for this.

It would be something else if Minnie found it on your website. Try and think a little before you open your mouth.

hey minnie...nice rip-off of a topic that was on the Microsoft website under the heading/column "5 Useful Windows XP Tricks" a long time ago...months, in fact...

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/5xptricks.mspx

don't take credit when you haven't earned it...plagiarism sucks!!!

Sounds bitter, using first post to make a a@@ of them selfs. Is there a tip here that is a original? Finding the tip is a big part. Something tells me that this is not your first post here.

Edited by Chas47448

hey minnie your tip is great...and always an idiot gets jealous

keep posting the good ones...we will keep on enjoying them

Now, how can I create an animated icon, animated avatar, and/or an animated image without having to 'spring' for a $700 utilities program...thanks again for your help. :cheers:

Well all, Just came here from email inbox 'cause of minnies ICON tip congrats.

Just joined the forum (it might actually help one day) and

Once I read Mr. DJ I know I had a $700 answer. It's called UnFREEzand it will break animated .gif file and it will pile up different .gif files to animate them. You can even set the delay time between gifs. I found it at majorgeeks.com under graphics. Freeware, 20 kb, 4.69 outa 5 on the geekometer.

I just got my avatar added that was created using UnFREEz. Enjoy

Edited by depeare

If this is plagiarism, then every Windows tips is.

Microsoft designed Windows. Every possible tips you can find out there, works because Microsoft have made it possible. Everybody knows it. There is no need to give Microsoft credit for this.

It would be something else if Minnie found it on your website. Try and think a little before you open your mouth.

well let's see...let me get this straight, between you and the following 2-3 boneheads (chas47448 & mme) you've encouraged me not to open my mouth w/o thinking first...called me an a@@.(whatever that is!!??) and asserted that big-bad microsoft deserves no credit for sharing there own system tweaks...because they created them all. as for the "name-caller" and someone else who claimed i was jealous...grow up...and what would i possibly be jealous of...a person that steals ideas and passes them off as her own???

the only thing i felt was necessary to point out was that this was OLD NEWS for anyone who might be reading it and heaping praise on someone who saw fit to not post a link...as i did...but to claim the idea was original and her own...and she copied that damn thing verbatim!!! as for the no credit to microsoft...i bet the dude that WROTE the article would beg to differ with your simpleton viewpoint. let's not forget...plagiarism is ILLEGAL...at least in the USA and other advanced countries!!!

soooo boys...before you reply to posts that point out the truth and discredit a pretender...perhaps you should all take some advice from viking...and "Try and think a little...." well you know the rest!!!

oddly enough i came across no rebuttal form "minnie" herself....nice try...caught ya!!!