Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

The Illusions of Vista

nice article, but sounds like a lot to go thru just to delete a file .....only billy g could think of that :cr@sh:

I can see third party file shredder programs becomming very popular with vista now

Edited by Joe C

Guest badbinary

i think the problem isn't the feature itself, but rather the lack of customization options for it. it would be much more robust and user-friendly if you could choose what types of files or locations of files you want included in the shadow copies. for example, not having your temporary internet files shadow copied.

I may be mistaken, but if you disable Restore in XP you lose all previously created Restore Points.

Am I right or wrong about that?

Now, does the same thing apply to Vista?

I'm asking because it seems like a potentially large sacrifice to make just to delete one file and as a consequence lose gigabytes of data that Vista was routinely saving up to that point.

Something tells me Chengrob isn't too fond of Vista.

Lol, tell me about it.

All I'm seeing is him ripping apart Vista. We already know how bad it is.. something of a different pace would be nice :)

I've been thinking about upgrading but now will think twice. Having been involved in litigation from time to time it seems like this automatic saving of all versions of documents will be a boon to litigators looking for evidence. Right now people think they are deleting old files that may hold incriminating information. With this data being saved (especially without the users knowledge if they are not computer savy) there is the potential for many problems down the road. I wonder how many corporate IT departments will explain this to their legal department and the legal department will say....no way to Vista.

Could be a major problem for Microsoft to deploy Vista in a corporate environment.

The duplicate copies of the information are being stored in all versions of Vista. However, it is only on the Home versions where the user no longer is able to delete the duplicate copy.

The duplicate copies of the information are being stored in all versions of Vista. However, it is only on the Home versions where the user no longer is able to delete the duplicate copy.

IS the user actually able to delete the duplicate copy, or is he only able to access it?

IS the user actually able to delete the duplicate copy, or is he only able to access it?

Good grief! The Vista Home user can't access or delete the duplicates!

Home users cannot access or delete, and Business, Enterprise and Ultimate users can access and delete the copies of their information.

nice article, but sounds like a lot to go thru just to delete a file .....only billy g could think of that :cr@sh:

I can see third party file shredder programs becomming very popular with vista now

not only that, but perhaps a third party program that will allow you to access or delete the files

I've been thinking about upgrading but now will think twice. Having been involved in litigation from time to time it seems like this automatic saving of all versions of documents will be a boon to litigators looking for evidence. Right now people think they are deleting old files that may hold incriminating information. With this data being saved (especially without the users knowledge if they are not computer savy) there is the potential for many problems down the road. I wonder how many corporate IT departments will explain this to their legal department and the legal department will say....no way to Vista.

Could be a major problem for Microsoft to deploy Vista in a corporate environment.

Vista isn't really a factor when trying to hide information on a hard drive. No matter what OS you use and how well you shred deleted items, they can be recovered. Even burned and crushed hard drives can give up a lot of information. Rule of thumb is to never put anything on a computer that you don't want others to find. All IT managers should know this.

This issue is more about recovering space on your hard drive to use for other purposes. It may be best to install the Ultimate version from the DVD and never activate it. You can get up to 4 months before Vista Ultimate will reduce its questionable security back to nothing. If a person saves their data to another hard drive or partition, they only need to reinstall the OS every 4 months. Problem solved.

Another Vista problem is the lack of codecs to play DVDs with anything less than Ultimate. 3rd party codecs will do the trick, but surely this oversight is ridiculous.

I have been thinking about buying a new PC and thought I'd go for one with Vista installed. But after reading this very illuminating article on Vista's "big brother type" shadow copy facility, which does not allow home users to even access the stored copies let alone delete them, I think I'll just stick with XP Pro after all! The trouble is, how long will it be before Microsoft uses its immense power to make XP as obsolete as Win 95 or 98 and stop supporting it or producing updates for it? And how long will we have to wait before they bring out a new version? And even when that new version is finally released, will it be more or less big brother-ish than Vista?

Oh, don't get me wrong: I know there are hundreds if not thousands of perverts and terrorists using the web for their own evil ends and anything that can be done to assist governments in collecting the evidence to convict these evil people, is a good thing. And perhaps Microsoft thought it would be seen to be trying to "do its bit" by introducing a system that automatically makes a shadow copy of every little thing and prevent users from accessing or deleting it? But Vista's shadow copy will do very little if anything to stop these people or make them accountable - if all they have to do is purchase a genuine or pirate copy of the Ultimate version to gain the ability to delete any incriminating evidence, will it? So basically, the only people this big brother type facility will hurt is the innocent home user, who will find huge chunks of their hard drives taken up with data they don't even want backed up and which they cannot even access let alone delete to free up precious storage space! Sorry, but in my opinion BG that just sucks .... and I for one won't be buying into it!

what bb? you dont like the built in keylogger :lol:

and feel free to chat about your personal life using msn windoz messenger ;)

:funny:

i thought i was a conspiracy buff.

Nah, just from Essex. :P

EssexBiker, don't buy Vista! It gives the yanks another reason to send us crap software.

Nah, just from Essex. :P

EssexBiker, don't buy Vista! It gives the yanks another reason to send us crap software.

okay, i actually laughed at that one. :lol:

keep buying it, brits...our economy depends on the crappy software being bought.

Like it or not, Vista is the current OS the majority of folks will be using now so we'll need to get used to that fact and be ready when it hits the fan when they come here to post in U2U

Glad you all found my suggestion - and the fact that I happen to live in Essex, so funny! :clap: I'm sorry but I didn't realise you all had access to so much inside information that you would dismiss me as a fool for thinking such things about good old Billy G! But I bow to your superior knowledge, Oh Mighty Ones :worship: and promise not to show my ESSEX ignorance on this forum again! :blushing:

Vista is horrible! It came with my laptop and thats a tragedy.

I'm adept at using a PC and Vista is not at all intuitive. Navigation is an entire new language. :pullhair: What was Mr. Gates thinking when his team overhauled XP?

The icons are different, the management is different, it was even difficult to figure out how to restart or shut down. Imagine that!

Loading takes forever. Wireless is the last to load and it seems unable to auto find what available. You have to fiddle with settings and you will not get it right. Programs get blocked and even if you say dont block at startup, its still blocked.

Get this Vista junk off my laptop and give me back XP.

ndl.

oh, we're just playin' with you. :P

Obviously some folks don't understand your sense of humor badb Edited by Joe C