Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy0182

Trouble running a game

Hi everyone

I am back for help again... I am currently using my girlfriends computer, and it is not a gaming computer by any means, but I figured playing an older game like medal of honour spearhead online should be no problems, but it is... the game is unbeivably choppy (online and local games) theres about a 5 second delay between key press and action, I am wondering if anyone knows how I can speed things up a bit... I even tried running the game on bare minimums.. low graphics etc etc. I have tried disabling themes, everything, I don't know what else to do.. not a serious issue, but its one of my favourite games and I miss playing it, my computer (left at home when I moved :( ) can run it no problem. By the way, if anyone plays it I am Jimmy0182 so give me a shout!

Thanks in advance

Jimmy

EDIT: test results: http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=781NFW1YPWWSLERJ

Edited by Jimmy0182

My guess is the Integrated graphics. I guess to speed it up, my suggestion would be to get a discrete video card.

I was thinking that, but according to the pit scores this one smokes my ati 9600 :huh:

A discrete graphics card is far better than integrated. A discrete card has its own memory, doesn't have to share bandwidth with the rest of the system, and due to those, perform far better than an onboard solution.

shouldn't matter, i've run mohaa on far worse here, it's still my favorite game.

i would try reinstalling the game and pacthing it w/ the latest patch. if you're online, only join games below 100ms ping.

your problem sounds like ping issues, not game play.

drop all your settings to minimum and start the single player mission and report back. you can also enable the console in the settings menu, hit the " ` " button and type fps1

shouldn't matter, i've run mohaa on far worse here, it's still my favorite game.

i would try reinstalling the game and pacthing it w/ the latest patch. if you're online, only join games below 100ms ping.

your problem sounds like ping issues, not game play.

drop all your settings to minimum and start the single player mission and report back. you can also enable the console in the settings menu, hit the " ` " button and type fps1

I have reinstalled the game, joined low ping games, checked my pings during gameplay, and the highest I have seen is 88ms, I set all graphics and sound to lowest quality. The game is patched with the latest patch I could find. wdeydwondrer what does typing "fps1" do?

Also I tried playing the single player game on the computer, (not online, just playing against the computer) and its still choppy, not quite as bad, but still enough to make the game hard to play, so I guess that eliminates network issues.... I tried finding better video card drivers, but everytime I d/l the drivers for the chipset, it says incorrect chipset, or card not support by drivers.. even tho I got the ones for the chipset I have :pullhair:

Edited by Jimmy0182

I don't know if this helps any... but I ran a 3d card test and and after a stress test and a 5min benchmark test came up with an average speed of 229 fps. Don't know if this gives any further insight...

Thanks

Jimmy

well, to settle this, you can grab 3dmark 05 and run a test and post back the score link

i have this feeling that something else is up because that game should run no problem on integrated graphics with that system.

well, to settle this, you can grab 3dmark 05 and run a test and post back the score link

i have this feeling that something else is up because that game should run no problem on integrated graphics with that system.

Ok I ran it on 3dmark 06 I am currently downloading 3dmark 05 just to see if it makes any difference, looks like this poor system can't handle it..lol

Results (3dmark 06): http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultan...amp;UID=8717656

edit: 3dmark 05: http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultan...amp;UID=8718880

Edited by Jimmy0182

ok, i'm thinking that you're missing the graphics drivers. generic ones will run 2d fine, but even w/ onboard graphics you should be pulling more than 2fps, lol.

either way though, picking up any video card will do you good. i'm just highly puzzled that you're getting SUCH bad performance.

ok, i'm thinking that you're missing the graphics drivers. generic ones will run 2d fine, but even w/ onboard graphics you should be pulling more than 2fps, lol.

either way though, picking up any video card will do you good. i'm just highly puzzled that you're getting SUCH bad performance.

Well I figured why the game runs so bad... based on OpenGl and this card does not support hardware gl rendering.. so... looks like its time for a new video card when I get the cash..

Does anyone know where I can get drivers for this video card to see if that helps any? I can't seem to find any... its a dell dimension E520 with the intel G965 chipset?

Thanks

Jimmy

The drivers come from Intel.

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver version 14.27 (exe)

Latest for G965.

Don't really think they will help a lot. Reviews aren't two good.

Get a X1650XT. Mine even plays BF2 at 100fps.

The drivers come from Intel.

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver version 14.27 (exe)

Latest for G965.

Don't really think they will help a lot. Reviews aren't two good.

Get a X1650XT. Mine even plays BF2 at 100fps.

Ok tried once again to download those drivers and this is the error I got:

"The driver being istalled is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the approriate driver from the computers manufacturer.

Setup will now exit"

I get this everytime I try to update the video drivers. And it lists the correct chipset in the users guide, and yes I have downloaded KB888111.exe high def audio patch...

Edited by Jimmy0182

do you have vista on it or something? dell's website should be able to walk you through updating your video card drivers. there's an express code on a sticker on your case, enter that and it'll list everything you need for that pc

do you have vista on it or something? dell's website should be able to walk you through updating your video card drivers. there's an express code on a sticker on your case, enter that and it'll list everything you need for that pc

No I have Windows Xp media centre. And yes I put the express code in, and the driver specifically lists this chipset and windows xp media centre edition....

I also unpacked the driver and manually installed it, it did install but shows the same driver in device manager, whereas the update says it a much newer one...