Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy0182

Outlook express help

hello everyone at the pit!

Just a quick question if I may.... I am sure there is a very simple solution I am overlooking, but I am confused... I had a lot of messages saved in O.E. as I am currently out of work and was keeping track of what resumes I had sent, and what replies I had gotten. So this morning OE (Outlook Express) asks me do I want to compact folders, I normally click no, but in my half awakeness I clicked ok... now I come to find my messages, and all folders except for deleted items are empty. I went through every option I could think of with no results. So I was just wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction, as you can imagine my current situation has got me a little stressed, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

hiya ,

Try this> Exit Outlook Express.

Look in your Windows Recycle Bin for a .dbx file corresponding to the folder from which mail is missing.

Restore the .dbx file.

Start Outlook Express.

messsages should be back, for detailed info on this, read here> http://email.about.com/od/outlookexpresstr..._compact_oe.htm :)

Edited by Wademan

There are two possible solutions I can think of.  First, this type of problem is often caused by corruption of the folders.dbx file, which itself does not contain any messages.  Delete the file, then open Outlook Express (OE) to automatically rebuild the file.

To do that, open OE, then click Tools, Options, Maintenance, and Store Folder.  Right-click the text and click Select All, right-click and click Copy, then click Cancel, Cancel, and close OE.  Click Start, Run, delete whatever command is already there, right-click in the textbox and click Paste, and click OK to open the folder.  Delete or rename the Folders.dbx file, close the folder, and open OE to see if your e-mail is restored.

The second solution is to use System Restore to revert to a date prior to compacting the folders.  Log on as an administrator, click Start and Run, type %Windir%\System32\Restore\Rstrui.exe and click OK to open the restore utility.  Choose the Restore option, and select a restore point created just before the problem occurred.

There are two possible solutions I can think of.  First, this type of problem is often caused by corruption of the folders.dbx file, which itself does not contain any messages.  Delete the file, then open Outlook Express (OE) to automatically rebuild the file.

To do that, open OE, then click Tools, Options, Maintenance, and Store Folder.  Right-click the text and click Select All, right-click and click Copy, then click Cancel, Cancel, and close OE.  Click Start, Run, delete whatever command is already there, right-click in the textbox and click Paste, and click OK to open the folder.  Delete or rename the Folders.dbx file, close the folder, and open OE to see if your e-mail is restored.

The second solution is to use System Restore to revert to a date prior to compacting the folders.  Log on as an administrator, click Start and Run, type %Windir%\System32\Restore\Rstrui.exe and click OK to open the restore utility.  Choose the Restore option, and select a restore point created just before the problem occurred.

Unfortunately none of the solutions worked :(

OE will create a backup when it compresses the dbx files.

Look in C:\documents and settings\User\My Documents\OE Backup

Unless you had them directed elsewhere. You can also do a search for .dbx files, just make sure you have it set to "include hidden files"

Good luck!

If you Need those emails REAL BAD this program "should" work but it cost like $39, >> http://email.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.....scandbx.com%2F Refund if it don't work. so maybe worth a shot, if you need your emails so much. sorry if it dont help.. :adios:

Thanks for all the help.. nothing seems to work, but on the upside, I just got a new job :) so I don't have to worry about those e-mails anymore..

Once again...

A big thanks to everyone at the pit!!!