Sign in to follow this  
kd5

ESS Sound Card, DOS Emulation?

Working on a computer that has an ESS Technology ES1938/ES1941/ES1946 Solo-1 PCI sound card, in addition to the regular sound driver, it also has a DOS Emulation driver (presumably similar to Creative's DOS drivers). This DOS driver prolongs the bootup by 10 to 15 seconds and seems to me to be totally unnecessary. I'm assuming this DOS driver is provided in case someone wants to play an old DOS based game, but the days of DOS based games are pretty much done & over with (unless someone is an enthusiast).

Can I safely delete this DOS Emulation driver in Device Manager, and in doing so remove the pesky DOS emulation screen I get that adds an additional 10 to 15 seconds to the boot time without affecting the regular sound driver? It doesn't appear in Add/Remove Programs...

Thanks, -kd5-

Just tried removing it via Device Manager but Windows 98se reinstalled it on reboot... :boxing: -kd5-

Looking in sysedit, Autoexec.bat, I see the normal AVG entry and another entry:

C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\BOOTUP.EXE

@ECHO OFF

PATH=c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\ibmtools;c:\

LH DOSKEY

C:\essolo.com

DOSKEY and ESS is what takes so long during bootup. Is there any of that in sysedit that I can remove (in conjunction with removing the DOS Emulation via Device Manager, or not), to eliminate that time-consuming DOS crap each time this computer gets booted up?

Or will Windows just put it all back on a reboot?

And should I even screw with it? :P -kd5-

try it from using DOS, here's a tutorial on how to get into DOS..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main..../30/boot114.xml

and here's the command to use to del the file in DOS....

http://www.computerhope.com/delhlp.htm

list of commands to use in DOS

http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm#02

use at your own risk :cr@sh:

Edited by Joe C

Well, I know how to get into DOS but I wouldn't have the vaguest idea what to type at the DOS prompt to delete/uninstall this. I know basic DOS commands to scanreg, scandisk, defrag, but beyond that I don't know how to craft a command, or tell it where to go or look, to perform any task beyond the basics I already know. -kd5-

about the middle of the first link...

Now we can use the dir (directory) command mentioned last week, which tells the PC to display the contents of the current directory. Type it in and see what happens. A long list of files and folders flashes past and you probably won't see much but you can tell DOS to display only one page at a time by adding a 'switch' to the command, in this case /p (p for page), so his time type dir /p and Return. You can also list the contents of the directory alphabetically, by date, size and many other ways by adding a sort switch /o (sOrt) followed by a second letter that tells DOS how to arrange the list. For example, to list the files one page at a time in date order the command would be dir /p /od, to list in order of size use the sort command switch /os for an alphabetical listing use /on, and so on.

You may have noticed that file and folder names in DOS are only 8 characters long, DOS shortens the longer file names used in Windows to the first six characters followed by a tilde (~) and a number (normally 1, unless there's another file with the same first six letters). When naming files you should use the DOS convention, i.e. as it appears on the screen.

look in the boot file/syst.ini file? Edited by Joe C

Keith, check in the win.ini file or the sys.ini and see if it's being loaded up in there. If it is, you can edit the line so it don't load at startup. Just place a semicolon before the line starts then save and exit from sysedit.

All of this is loaded through your autoexec.bat file. All you need do is reboot to a command prompt...type in edit autoexec.bat. When the DOS editor appears. Type rem (then a space) before each item you wnat to disable at startup. This is nice, because if it produces undesireable results, you can simply reboot to the command prompt and remove the rem command.

Jim

would the disable command be better?

might help incase something goes wrong, that way Kd5 can try it out first before REMoving it

Keith, check in the win.ini file or the sys.ini and see if it's being loaded up in there. If it is, you can edit the line so it don't load at startup. Just place a semicolon before the line starts then save and exit from sysedit.

Unfortunately it's not loaded in either win.ini or sys.ini. -kd5-

All of this is loaded through your autoexec.bat file. All you need do is reboot to a command prompt...type in edit autoexec.bat. When the DOS editor appears. Type rem (then a space) before each item you wnat to disable at startup. This is nice, because if it produces undesireable results, you can simply reboot to the command prompt and remove the rem command.

Jim

This requires that I type in the complete line as it appears in Autoexec.bat (within Windows), with a rem before each line, correct? Went into edit autoexec.bat from a DOS prompt and the resulting window was blank. -kd5-

in DOS, try typing in C:/> windows /dir (use a boot sdisk)

that will give you the file directory, if there's too much to see...the /p switch will only show you one page at a time...it's all in the first link I posted in my first post. That link actually tells you how to install a file....but you can use the other info to access DOS and the second/third link gives you the commands and switches to use

I actually remember using the /p switch on one of my first pc's before windows was around, worked great for locating the .exe file on leasure suit larry...lol

Just tried deleting the entries via Autoexec.bat (within Windows), left the entry for AVG, deleted everything else (cut/pasted it into Wordpad), rebooted, still got 2 C:\'s where the DOSKEY & Ess stuff was, lasting for just as long as it did with all the stuff in there, but with an added surprise: Once Windows finally booted up, I got an error message telling me that a required dll was missing (didn't write down the name of the file).

So.....

I cut/pasted the commands from Wordpad back into Autoexec.bat, and said to heck with it. I'm not going to tear what's left of my hair out over 15 seconds of boot time. If this sound card wants to run a DOS Emulation command at Startup, then so be it. At least with Creative cards you can uninstall the DOS drivers via Add/Remove. These don't appear in Add/Remove. -kd5-

yup...3X, 95, 98, 98se and I think 1/2 of me all ran in DOS. From what I've heard about all 9X versions, you were in DOS and the GUI just ran on top of it