Sign in to follow this  
mme

PINKY HITS CAPS LOCK

Don't you hate it when you accidentally hit the caps lock key? Sometimes I have a whole sentence typed in before I realize my mistake!

what if you could set your computer up so it alerts you when your pinky finger wanders off and taps the caps lock key? with this tip, I'll show you how to make your computer beep & flash the next time it happens.

the first thing you'll need to do is get the computer to beep when you hit the caps lock key. here's how:

click the Start button, Settings, Control Panel (XP Users, hit the Start button, Control Panel). Open (click on)the Accessibility Options Icon.

on the Keyboard tab, click the "Use toggle keys" checkbox.

that's it for the beeping part.

next, we need to get your screen to flash you, uh, flash at you. Here's how:

from the Accessibility Options screen, click the Sound tab and check the "Use soundsentry" checkbox.

next click the settings button and select "flash active window" from the "warning for windowed programs" drop down box.

that's it. hit OK until you're clear of property and settings screens. open your favorite word processor and hit your caps lock key.

Guest badbinary

many logitech keyboards have this automatically when you install the logitech software. :)

well thats good news for those who have a logitech

but for those who dont have and cant afford another keyboard

this tip is for you

I have been using this for years now and I love it. For me the PC speaker makes one sound for turning caps on and another for turning it off. I ran across this once when I was typing in Word I believe and I kept on hitting alt or maybe it was ctrl and a message popped up saying it could beep since it thought i kept on bumping it i guess.

Love it mainly cuz it does not use the sound card but the lil crappy speaker in the case

hey glad to know that your using this for some years now ..thats impressive..did you get screen to blink at you

Soounds like a very good tip. I'm sorry to be dim I got as far as"use Sound sentry" but cannot find a settings button at this stage fot the last bit. Can you help please. I have windows XP home. A Dell computer and keyboard

XP Home

Accessibility Options>>Keyboard>>Toggle Key (check box)>>Sound Tab>>Use Sound Sentry(Check Box)>>Drop Menu>>Select Flash Active Window>>Apply>>Ok

Edited by mme

Don't you hate it when you accidentally hit the caps lock key? Sometimes I have a whole sentence typed in before I realize my mistake!

what if you could set your computer up so it alerts you when your pinky finger wanders off and taps the caps lock key? with this tip, I'll show you how to make your computer beep & flash the next time it happens.

the first thing you'll need to do is get the computer to beep when you hit the caps lock key. here's how:

click the Start button, Settings, Control Panel (XP Users, hit the Start button, Control Panel). Open (click on)the Accessibility Options Icon.

on the Keyboard tab, click the "Use toggle keys" checkbox.

that's it for the beeping part.

next, we need to get your screen to flash you, uh, flash at you. Here's how:

from the Accessibility Options screen, click the Sound tab and check the "Use soundsentry" checkbox.

next click the settings button and select "flash active window" from the "warning for windowed programs" drop down box.

that's it. hit OK until you're clear of property and settings screens. open your favorite word processor and hit your caps lock key.

I'm unable to locate the Accessibility Options Icon. Could it go by another name? (Doesn't seem to be a option in the Add/Remove Programs window either.) I'm using XP Hom Edition.

that icon should be in your control panel

start>>control panel

if its not there then that option may have not choosen when your harddrive was reformatted

If it is not there, you may be able to add the Accessibility icon using TweakUI from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx

It's the eighth download on the right side. Once it's installed, open the program and go to 'Control Panel' and put a checkmark by 'Access.cpl'.

Great tip. Thanks. Because of my desk situation the Caps On warning light is hidden most of the time, so this is really useful, particularly when typing in password with asterisks.

Your Welcome

Good advice for those who have hidden caps light

when you open accessibility options

did you put check in toggle key box click ok