Sign in to follow this  

My isp has an idle disconnect going on when they don't think I am doing nothing. Play games. working in word...ect. I know that there is a registry tweek out there for time out's and idle disconnects. Or i would like to increase the idle time to at least 2 hours. Can you guys help?

The easy way,,and the way I used to get around it was to have outlook express check for new mail every 8 minutes,,that makes the ISP think your still doing something. :mrgreen: v

The easy way,,and the way I used to get around it was to have outlook express check for new mail every 8 minutes,,that makes the ISP think your still doing something. :mrgreen: v

Good tinkin!!! :P

I would get another ISP.

The majority of dial up ISP offer unlimited service (no idle disconnects) so why would you still want to stay with those who disconnect you just because your pc seems to be idle? :mrgreen:;)

But are you sure that it is your ISP doing this an not a computer setting.

There is an option which says something like 'Disconnect if idle for xx minutes' or Idle Time Before Disconnect = xx minutes

Those could be the reasons why youre getting disconnected.

Edited by aeroman10

I would get another ISP.

The majority of dial up ISP offer unlimited service (no idle disconnects) so why would you still want to stay with those who disconnect you just because your pc seems to be idle? :mrgreen:;)

Because it's cheep. :rolleyes:

What version of Windows? Depending on the version there are different places you can check. In some versions you have to check 2 places.

But I would start by going to the Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections Tab > Double click on your connection > Click Advanced button at the bottom of the page > Make sure that 'Disconnect if idle for xx minutes' is not checked

There are other places you also need to check if you are running Win Me, 2000, or XP

By the way, how cheap can your ISP possibly be that they would implement an idle disconnect function. I work for an ISP and we are pretty cheap but we dont disconnect people just because they leave their computer on idle :P

I have windows xp home.

With XP, do the step that I posted above. Then double click on your dialer (either on your desktop, network connections, or by going to start > connect to > your dialer). After you get your Connect To screen up, click on Properties and then click on the Options tab. In there, make sure that 'Idle Time Before Hanging Up' is set to NEVER.

Also if you use Outlook Express, go to Tools > Options > Connections tab > Make sure that 'Hang up after sending/receiving' is unchecked

$10.95

The ISP that I work for is $10/month and no contracts. Nationwide numbers available. :P

The ISP that I work for is $10/month and no contracts. Nationwide numbers available. :P

I have peoplepc.com and they will not let me look at the properties when I click on it.

The ISP that I work for is $10/month and no contracts. Nationwide numbers available.  :P

I have peoplepc.com and they will not let me look at the properties when I click on it.
Grrr. I hate ISP's who install tons of useless proprietary software which you dont even need. All you need to connect with dial up is already on your computer on all versions of windows (especially XP). :mrsgreen:

Maybe you should give their tech support a call and inquire about those options. But the first one that I posted should work for any connection and in all version of windows except Win Me.

I have called th tech's and they are aware of the disconnect and told me to read the user contract. volt's suggestion does work. But i was looking for a registry tweek to over ride what my isp does.

I hate it too aeroman,,but if ya got windows set right,,the OE check will solve the other problem if your using OE.

I have called th tech's and they are aware of the disconnect and told me to read the user contract. volt's suggestion does work. But i was looking for a registry tweek to over ride what my isp does.

Hmm, the reason why they are able to do this probably is because they use their own proprietary dialer so if I had to guess, if the setting would be in the registry it would be somewhere under their name....but I really have no idea so I will stop guessing :shifty:

I hate it too aeroman,,but if ya got windows set right,,the OE check will solve the other problem if your using OE.

Yeah, I guess so.

You could also use Outlook, Netscape/Mozilla, and Eudora since they all have the option to check for email at specified intervals...

But I just dont get why ISP's still do that. I would figure they would loose customers since there are plenty of other cheap ISP's which give their users unlimited access and dont require any special software...

Everytime I think of software that ISP's make you install, I always think of AOL and that is scary :woot:

Edited by aeroman10

Hmm, the reason why they are able to do this probably is because they use their own proprietary dialer so if I had to guess, if the setting would be in the registry it would be somewhere under their name....but I really have no idea so I will stop guessing :shifty:

If you have to put a damn disk in to hookup to a dialup ISP.

That ISP will never be mine.

I have oe and incredimail checking every 5 and 10 minutes. The tweek is not listed under the dialers name. I type in the find box. Idle, timeout,disconnect and dont see anything related to my isp. Maybe windows is doing it. Whatch think.

If you have to put a damn disk in to hookup to a dialup ISP.

That ISP will never be mine.

Right on !!

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

You should be able to setup a dial up connection for a normal ISP without any crappy disks in less than 5 minutes on any version of Windows.

Edited by aeroman10

I have oe and incredimail checking every 5 and 10 minutes. The tweek is not listed under the dialers name. I type in the find box. Idle, timeout,disconnect and dont see anything related to my isp. Maybe windows is doing it. Whatch think.

Windows doesnt have any options for Idle Disconnects other than the ones I told you about. Anything else would be actually built into the software which you installed for your ISP

Your ISP is not going to put that tweak in,,you have to make your machine smarter than theirs!! :P v

How do you set up an isp with out a disc???? :(

First you have to find an ISP which simply use the networking options (dial up network in 95/98/Me, Network and Dial up Connections in 2000 and Network Connections in XP) which come with windows.

Peoplepc obviously requires that you have their software installed so it probably wont be possible to setup a dialer, although you can try.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Create a new connection > Next > Connect to the internet > Setup my connection manually > Connect using a dial up modem > ISP Name > ISP DUN > Username/Password > Finish

Man that was quick! :mrgreen: