Sign in to follow this  
ilikenemo

virus moved to avast chest, but still getting problems

Hi all, my computer started to run really slow and I kept getting a box come up saying preparing to install microsoft money (some works thingy) there was a cancel option so I hit that straight away and the box comes up about 3 or 4 times before it goes and then there was some message from microsoft about closing something :blushing: I have avast so I ran it and it picked up a trojan and moved it to the chest, computer seems faster now but just had the microsoft money box again :cr@sh: I ran spybot which picked up spydawn, I was unable to remove it as I shut spybot by mistake :thud: I'll have to run it again. Any help would be appreciated :pullhair: As you can probably tell I'm not very technical :blushing: I have win xp and I use firefox, avast antivirus. I had adaware se but thats now empty since today so I've removed it.

Thanks

Julie :adios:

Edited by ilikenemo

Hi Julie, run 1-2 online scans they are free>> http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm, and if needed another> http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html that way you be more sure virus is gone. How did this box pop up? True microsoft shouldn't pop up like that unless you were trying to install it. Do you remember name of the trojan? Or can you access the avast chest an tell us the name of the trojan? But run the panda online av atleast an tell us what it finds/fixes. Also be good idea if you added Adaware to your security software. Its free> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php update it an do complete scan, let us how you make out :)

Thanks, will put adaware back on as soon as I've done a scan. Just looked in the virus chest and it says win32:trojan-gen . Is spydawn anything to do with it? I will remove it now.

Thanks

Julie

Thanks, will put adaware back on as soon as I've done a scan. Just looked in the virus chest and it says win32:trojan-gen . Is spydawn anything to do with it? I will remove it now.

Thanks

Julie

Yes spydawn probably has a lot to do with this, link pacman gave has an auto removal if you scroll down a bit, let us know if that works, if not manual method can be a little hard an you may need some help. Hopefully the automated removal with work on spydawn. Even if it does I would run the panda online scanner an get adaware

PS You will need to follow those intructions very carefully, an print them if you can.

Edited by Wademan

I have removed spydawn (I hope) but the microsoft money box still keeps coming up :cr@sh: Its from windows installer. It comes up everytime I click on something, its driving me mad! I'm just about to run the panda scan. Will let you know as soon as I have esults.

Thanks

I have removed spydawn (I hope) but the microsoft money box still keeps coming up :cr@sh: Its from windows installer. It comes up everytime I click on something, its driving me mad! I'm just about to run the panda scan. Will let you know as soon as I have esults.

Thanks

Ok, Did you remove spydawn with the link, and use smitfraud? only way to remove it. Its probably causing those pop ups, .. Edited by Wademan

Ok, Did you remove spydawn with the link, and use smitfraud? only way to remove it. Its probably causing those pop ups, ..

Hi,yes removed spydawn with the link. Having a nightmare with panda so I'm scanning with trend micro at the moment, got a while to go yet (firefox has just closed on me so got to start again!). Thanks Pacman, will remove the other when scan finished.

Julie

what was wrong with Panda? You may need IE to run some of the online scans. Bitdefender is very good aswell>> http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html Did the smitfraud indicate spydawn was found an removed? Just making sure you got it :)

Hi, I opened IE to run panda as it won't run on ffox, it had something come up about downloading activex??? then it shut on its own. When my comp restarted after removing spydawn it had a very big white box (notepad I think) come up with very large black letters and spydawn was written there. I hope its removed it :surrender:

Cheers

Julie

Julie, if you want to run panda on ie you need to allow the active x controls for it. Sounds like sypdawn is gone. Let us know after you run all the scans even adaware, an try bitdefender if panda is causing problems.. :)

Hi Julie,

In the link i provided it mentions notepad......

Once the computer has rebooted, you will be presented with a Notepad screen containing a log of all the files removed from your computer. Examine this log, and when you are done, close the Notepad screen.

Your computer should now be free of the SpyDawn infection.

If you are still unsure ...

Please follow these instructions ..

Download HijackThis! from here:

Put it in a permanent folder (it makes backups) by doing this:

Click My Computer, then C:\

In the menu bar, File->New->Folder.

That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to "HJT" or

"HijackThis". Now you have C:\HJT\ folder. Put your HijackThis.exe there,

and double click to run it.

Click on "Do a system scan and save logfile". The logfile will be saved to

notepad.

Start a new topic in our HJT forums

Copy and paste the HJT log from notepad in that new topic

Please be patient as there are a lot of people with malware infections

and all of our HJT Trusted Advisors work on many Forums

Regards pacman123

Thanks to both of you, your help is very much appreciated :) I have just downloaded adaware and its doing a full scan now, will post results when its finished. Trend is still running :snooze:

Cheers

Julie

Hi Julie,

If you are still having problems i think you should go with HJT and let the advisors take a look...........

Regards pacman123

Hi, the microsoft money boxes are only coming up on IE. Getting fed up with it now, I can't get on to do the panda scan the box just comes up blank :mrsgreen: going to close trend as it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Will run avast again and see if it picks anything up.

Cheers

Julie

Avast has just picked up a virus, its win32:DNSChanger-BA trojan horse (malware) :cr@sh: I'm going soon as its getting late here.

Thanks for your help

Julie :adios:

Julie, Whenever you come back, please do the hjt scan an post in that forum as descibed earlier in this post. Whenever you get those type of infections its best to be safe an have the hjt done. And you have tried to lots on your own, so last step is do the hjt. good luck

You welcome..computer still having probelms? just be patient in hjt make day a day or so before advisor gets to you.. good luck :) Edit: I see you already got help, cool :)

Edited by Wademan