Sign in to follow this  
binfordw

PC fails to boot, Need suggestions plz

Hi,

Yesterday I came home and my computer was off. Upon attempting to startup, it gives a series of beeps- one long and 3 short, followed a few seconds later with one long and 4 short.

System specs

Asus A8N-SLI Motherboard-

AMD 3200 athlon

Geforce 6800GS video

Corsair XMS ram 1gb

I have looked for an explanation of the beep codes, but havent found any straight-forward answers. It uses Award bios.

I HAVE tried resetting the bios (removing battery, moving jumper- waiting a bit, setting jumper back to default and replacing battery)

I also tried replacing the CPU fan and chipset fan- as I did have an issue in the past with the chipset fan not running at a high enough speed and causing a shutdown/failed start.

Also tried swapping video card out with my wifes 6600gt,

And finally tried replacing RAM, none of which made any difference, still get same beep sequence upon attempted boot.

Anybody know what to try next? I've got a feeling my CPU died :unsure:

Thanks in advance!!

Try a different keyboard.

I think thats one of the award 1L - 3S codes.

Try a different keyboard.

I think thats one of the award 1L - 3S codes.

I tried a different keyboard and nothing changed, still wont boot, so we can cross out that one. ty

After 20 calls to tech supports- I managed to get a guy who verified that my beep code of 1 long- 3 short was video related. Since I had switched the video card out with a know working one and it still didn't post- I was told my motherboard was likely the cause.

So it looks like Im probably headed out tommorrow to pick up a new Mobo.. I shouldn't have any issues switching them out should I? I don't think the local store has A8N's, but I assume as long as I get a different brand with the socket/ slots i need It will be an easy swap?

Edited by binfordw

windows won't like the new board, you'll probably need to reinstall a clean o.s.

remove the hard drive and hook it up to the wife's pc and back up your data

windows won't like the new board, you'll probably need to reinstall a clean o.s.

remove the hard drive and hook it up to the wife's pc and back up your data

ok..thank you. So anyone else know aome things I may need to watch for before I purchase or install this new mobo?

Award BIOS errors, gotta love them. If the video card change out didn't help then the mobo is next on the list.

Try to stick with at least the same chipset, and same SATA controller if Windows is on a SATA. Then the repair install like Deans said. The odd time I've been able to get away with a boot to safe mode, unistall drivers from device manager and reboot.

DId you turn off the PSU when you tried clearing the CMOS chip? Not sure if it makes a dif, but it's something I've always done.

Ugh.

I tried some of the above before rushing out to the store today before work.

Tried new Mobo and even a new power supply, no luck.

With new Mobo and power supply, it doesn't beep though, just won't post. I did remove the vid card, and it gave a series of beeps.

I guess it has to be my proccessor :huh:

So now I guess unless anyone can suggest anything I will be off to the store again tommorrow for a new cpu.

I will try to test things out further tonight when i get home to try to make positive thats what i need now.