Sign in to follow this  
stormy13

Vista. Firefox and Bookmarks.

This is for anyone considering making the move to Vista, or dual booting between Vista and XP, or have gone Vista only but have a backup of their Firefox profile from XP but don't know where to put it.

All you need to do is when in XP go to,

C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Application Data\Mozilla

and backup the Mozilla folder (you may need to go to Folder Options/View tab and uncheck "Show hidden files and folders" first, have to do the same in Vista). Then when in Vista copy/paste the Mozilla folder into,

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming

After doing the above you should now have all your Bookmarks, Extensions, Themes and any saved passwords that you were using in Firefox in XP.

Another alternative is to use the great freeware program called MozBackup from http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ . Simply create a backup of your Firefox and/or Thunderbird profile using this program and then use the restore option on your Vista box.

Really this program is simply automating the process described by stormy13 with the added advantage that you can pick and choose the parts of your Firefox profile that you want to transfer.

Edited by t923347

This is for anyone considering making the move to Vista, or dual booting between Vista and XP, or have gone Vista only but have a backup of their Firefox profile from XP but don't know where to put it.

and backup the Mozilla folder (you may need to go to Folder Options/View tab and uncheck "Show hidden files and folders" first, have to do the same in Vista). Then when in Vista copy/paste the Mozilla folder into,

After doing the above you should now have all your Bookmarks, Extensions, Themes and any saved passwords that you were using in Firefox in XP.

Thanks a lot man, this worked perfectly for me!

Thanks so much for this easy fix. I was pulling my hair out trying to find out where Vista stored Firefox's profile. :pullhair:

If you're talking only about Firefox's Bookmarks here is the simplest way to do a good backup. Go to Organize Bookmarks in Firefox's Bookmark menu. From file menu choose export bookmarks. You'll get a smaller file that can be imported with the same method. You can also use this file with other PC anytime.

I loaded Firefox and Thunderbird onto a new machine with Vista, retaining my old hard drive that has Firefox and Thunderbird under XP. I have not been able to successfully import my address book or email messages from the old hard drive to the new Vista setup. I tried saving the "abook" file from the old folder as a text file and then importing it as a new address book on the newly installed Thunderbird under Vista. The file did import but the content is unreadable. I tried the Mozbackup utility but was not successful.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

A

pcat01 :wp:

Just do the same for Thunderbird as I outlined above, only difference is you want to copy the Thunderbird folder,

C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Application Data\Thunderbird

After you have copied it, it goes to the same place as the Mozilla/Firefox folder.

:tup: Thanks for pointing us to the corct folder, that was just to simple