Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Hello Firefox, Goodbye Internet Explorer

Well, at the risk of being a naughty old reactionary, all I can say is that, during my recent, unlamented foray into MVPs Hosts File, FF slowed to a screeching crawl as it insisted on continuing to attempt to load "forbidden" URL's, (including Tribalfusion). IE7 puttered along, throwing up red X placeholders and "cant load" images, and moving on.

I spent several interesting hours Googling, checking FF Forums (FF might have a dyno-mite product, but their site sucks river rocks), and getting a few useful suggestions from H2H. The only answer seemed to be to disable offending URL's one by one, as I could identify them. I am 68 years old, and am not interested in spending my declining decades typing in "#"'s.

So I sent MVPs to that great recycle bin in the sky, and I have been happy ever since. Probably a mass of the grossest malware imaginable, but happy.

Bottom line: Firefox is good, perhaps a bit more secure, perhaps a bit faster than IE, but their glowing claims to being the greatest thing since the doorknob REALLY grates....

Well, at the risk of being a naughty old reactionary, all I can say is that, during my recent, unlamented foray into MVPs Hosts File, FF slowed to a screeching crawl as it insisted on continuing to attempt to load "forbidden" URL's, (including Tribalfusion). IE7 puttered along, throwing up red X placeholders and "cant load" images, and moving on.

I spent several interesting hours Googling, checking FF Forums (FF might have a dyno-mite product, but their site sucks river rocks), and getting a few useful suggestions from H2H. The only answer seemed to be to disable offending URL's one by one, as I could identify them. I am 68 years old, and am not interested in spending my declining decades typing in "#"'s.

So I sent MVPs to that great recycle bin in the sky, and I have been happy ever since. Probably a mass of the grossest malware imaginable, but happy.

Bottom line: Firefox is good, perhaps a bit more secure, perhaps a bit faster than IE, but their glowing claims to being the greatest thing since the doorknob REALLY grates....

The "host" file was never intended to be used the way people use it today. Not at all.

If you are trying to block ads, pop ups and such use the adblock extension for firefox.

I've been using FF since 2003 I absolutely detest IE and shudder every single time I have to use it. What do I like about FF everything, its ease of use its integration with Google, its adaptability. What don't I like about IE its clunky, its slow and staid.

I say welcome to the 21st century and as for IE it will never be anywhere near as good as FF

have a good day

Marsha

G'day

I have to say that I can see that posters are getting different results from FF and I have to align my thoughts with MORU

I found FF a real headache and I suspect that IE was running in the background but have not the interest to gain the expertese to make a diagnosis.

When I received the pitstop email today with the Goodbye FF heading, I thought ok so they have found a way to make it work better than IE but as I can see it is no different.

and their email client... mein gotte... you can import from outlook express ( my preffered client) but cannot export to outlook express.. and my posts to the designers gave me no satisfaction as they did not respond. I have a thought that they think their client is so user friendly that no one would want to go back to outlook express as I did. I found that when typing in their mail box the letters took ages to appear if at all.

just one annoying reason there were others but that one was infuriating.

Cheers, let me know when there is a revelation..

Neil

Guest badbinary

firefox is a good browser, but i've yet to find any real advantage to using it over ie7.

OK well if you like an enjoy viri, malware, spyware, browser highjackers............

I keep forgetting those are "features" in IE, not problems :lol:

Guest badbinary

OK well if you like an enjoy viri, malware, spyware, browser highjackers............

I keep forgetting those are "features" in IE, not problems :lol:

i don't have and never have had those problems...it comes down to who is using the computer, not what they are using.

Edited by badbinary

2. There are still other web sites that require IE that I use a lot. The two big ones are Quickbooks and Blue Hornet.

Well are you talking about www.bluehornet.com & quickbooks.intuit.com www.quickbooksgroup.com, or some other places ?

I'm currently browsing them (and have done so for a few minutes) without any visible issue.

My conf:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; fr-FR; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061115 Mandriva/2.0.0.1-4mdv2007.0 (2007.0) Firefox/2.0.0.1

i don't have and never have had those problems...it comes down to who is using the computer, not what they are using.

Same thing KD5 always said.

Yet it seems very easy to snatch the browser and where it goes :lol:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=136195

I don't consider it very good security when a browser is so easily "redirected", no matter who is doing the redirection.

Guest badbinary

i consider that one of the many downfalls of using windows in general. i can say, again, that with ie7 i have not experienced any issues of the sort.

Blue Hornet in January added some features which do not display properly in FF. It comes out sort of garbled. Blue Hornet also checks to make sure that you are running IE and makes sure that you might get weird results. Quickbooks is using Active X.

Everyone is forgetting the #1 reason. They are innovating at a much faster rate. IE 7 just came out but in a year FF will have an even more robust version that will leave IE in the dust.

Guest badbinary

that's to be expected, though. opensource seems to lead in innovation while proprietary seems to ride the coattails and profit.

Having read through all the hype and some of the user comments, Firefox's improved security over IE sounds very desirable. But if you still have to have IE installed because some web sites that you wish to visit are still not (and indeed may never be) compatible with Firefox, then I would rather stick to IE despite it's faults! At least that way I don't have to bother about opening one browser for some sites and another for other sites!

And surely if you have a decent Firewall and Antivirus program that is automatically updated at least once a day, you are reasonably well protected against hackers and viruses etc, aren't you? Unless I have just been extremely lucky that I do not seem to have been bothered by any such attacks in the past 10 years?!!

Also, the only difference I can see between using a "tabbed" browser and just opening links in a new window in IE, is that with a tabbed browser, the tabs run along the top of the window and with multiple windows open in IE the "tabs" run along the bottom - in the task bar! So I really don't understand what all the fuss is about "tabbed browsers"??? Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Also, the only difference I can see between using a "tabbed" browser and just opening links in a new window in IE, is that with a tabbed browser, the tabs run along the top of the window and with multiple windows open in IE the "tabs" run along the bottom - in the task bar! So I really don't understand what all the fuss is about "tabbed browsers"??? Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Tabbed browsers are nice in that you can minimize and maximize all at once, rather than 20 browsers separately. Tabs take some getting used to for some people, including myself, but after using them for a couple of years, I now prefer tabs. You can also open a browser for each topic that you're surfing and keep all related topics together, which is convenient.

RE the article:

I run a custom computer business and use the computer to surf the internet every day, mainly for reviews on new computer hardware/software technology. A big part of our business is removing malware, spyware and viruses from other people's computers. While the biggest problem seems to be spyware removal tool 'terrorists' (the ones that claim you have spyware on your computer and need to buy their software to remove it), most malware is not installed to your computer simply by opening a web page. Most of the time, they require clicking on a link or banner, or actually installing fake test software. FF is no more secure from these threats than IE7. I've removed trojans and malware from FF users as well as IE users over the past year.

I'm in the camp of IE7 users. I've never experienced the author's popups over text with IE7. I've never had an issue with security with IE7. I've also never had a virus or malware through a website with any browser. But then I also usually know what NOT to click on. I use PestPatrol 4 (which deletes cookies on the fly, too bad they don't sell it anymore) and AVG Network Edition 7.5.

One thing I do a lot on the internet is save pictures, files, programs, etc.. What no one has mentioned about FF is the completely annoying file saving popup. Once started, it continues to run in the backround. It requires that you manually remove the files from the list, but lord help you if you accidentally hit delete. That alone is enough to keep me from ever using it consistently. Every time FF comes out with a new version I give it a test drive. So far there's nothing very impressive about FF to me. FF also has some serious compatibility issues with Vista.

I'm not going to change anyone's mind who likes FF and visa versa. However I thought my experiences were worth noting for those considering updating to either FF or IE7.

The best browser is the browser that you're most comfortable with. Security is dependent upon the user's knowledge, as no browser will ever protect users completely from ignorance. :)

Tabbed browsers are nice in that you can minimize and maximize all at once, rather than 20 browsers separately. Tabs take some getting used to for some people, including myself, but after using them for a couple of years, I now prefer tabs. You can also open a browser for each topic that you're surfing and keep all related topics together, which is convenient.

Thanks dark41. I found your entire post very interesting and informative. And your explanation of tabbed browsers has convinced me that I would enjoy the benefits of one after all! But as you say you are in the IE camp and not really a big fan of Firefox, I'd be very interested to know which tabbed browser you have been using for the past two years and what advantages you feel it has over FF?

I have used firefox for several years, before it was firefox even. I like the browser, I like using something other than half baked Blotware. Microsoft has all the money all the big brains yet they can't get a single program to function properly kinda makes you go Hmmm, doesn't it? Maybe they don't want it right then there would be no room for improvement or any way to get more money out of you for another piece of junk. Vista is another good example of pure garbage. Yet people still buy it thinking they are upgrading when in fact they are just paying too much for another headach.

Did you know that in the rare event that Firefox crashes if you restart firefox it asks if you would like to restore your location. If you decide to do so it will take you right back where you left off. If you were writing a letter for instance, it would probably be there waiting for you to finish it. Try that in IE.

B)

I have used firefox for several years, before it was firefox even. I like the browser, I like using something other than half baked Blotware. Microsoft has all the money all the big brains yet they can't get a single program to function properly kinda makes you go Hmmm, doesn't it? Maybe they don't want it right then there would be no room for improvement or any way to get more money out of you for another piece of junk. Vista is another good example of pure garbage. Yet people still buy it thinking they are upgrading when in fact they are just paying too much for another headach.

Did you know that in the rare event that Firefox crashes if you restart firefox it asks if you would like to restore your location. If you decide to do so it will take you right back where you left off. If you were writing a letter for instance, it would probably be there waiting for you to finish it. Try that in IE.

Oh, yes, I know only too well what happens when IE decides to tell you that it has "encountered a problem and needs to close"!!! LOL. For instance, I spent about 2 hours searching through 3 or 4 sites the other day, comparing products and adding my final choices to my basket on each site. Then to my absolute horror, IE decided to crash - and I lost the whole lot and had to start all over again! :pullhair: Fortunately, I have learnt through bitter experience to keep saving the urls for each item or printing the contents of my baskets to PDF at the very least, to minimise the time lost when this happens and allow me to re-locate my final choices without having to trawl through each website to find them again. B) If I didn't take these precautions and IE crashed, I think I could easily have thrown my PC through the window in sheer frustration and anger! :pullhair: LOL

Not trying to change anyone's mind here....or sledge one browser over another....just my experiences.

I have been using Firefox since version 1.0 and Thunderbird for email for the same time. I love them both but it did take me a while to get used to them both. I love tabbed browsing.....I'm a big browser so I end up with 3 - 4 windows open each with a different theme or area of browsing and then I open related tabs in those windows. When I had IE I had too many windows open to keep track of.

Some websites won't open properly in Firefox (wake up web designers) and anything Microsoft definitely won't, so I have two plugins installed.....IE View Lite and IE Tab. One opens the link in an IE tab and the other opens the link in an IE window......both are an option on the right click menu.

Security is with both browsers and always will be....the responsibility of the user. Anything is susceptible to malware if you click on the wrong link but there does seem to be more security breaches in IE then Firefox. I can only say I'm very careful and aware and I've had very little problem with hackers, crackers and malware over the 12 years I've been on the net.

In the end it comes down to familiarity and user preference. I prefer Firefox....you go with what you like.....:)