Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Hello Firefox, Goodbye Internet Explorer

Tito,

Why don't you like IE Tab? I really like it, it means that I can dump IE forever. Other than PC Pitstop, there are two other sites that I use on a weekly basis that do not work in Firefox.

Tito,

Why don't you like IE Tab? I really like it, it means that I can dump IE forever. Other than PC Pitstop, there are two other sites that I use on a weekly basis that do not work in Firefox.

A big advantage of Firefox is so you can dump the getavirusX risks. Why would you want to re-implement this "feature"?

Guest badbinary

A big advantage of Firefox is so you can dump the getavirusX risks. Why would you want to re-implement this "feature"?

:rofl3:

Tito,

I ain't Tito, but i can't resist.

It doesn't mean you can dump IE forever Rob. In fact without IE, IEtab can't work. Paining your blue Ford red, doesn't mean it isn't a Ford anymore.

Running IEtab, is nothing more then running IE underneath FireFox. It isn't much different then adding a new "skin" to IE. Not only are all the inherent problems of IE dragged into FireFox, but you essentially defeat the purpose of using FireFox as a more secure web browser.

Well there are two issues here and I will address both.

1. Will PC Pitstop move away from its use of Active X? The answer is Yes, but we are working out the details on the smartest way to make it happen. If we are going through all of the trouble of eliminating Active X we might as well put some other features in there as well.

2. There are still other web sites that require IE that I use a lot. The two big ones are Quickbooks and Blue Hornet.

why not do both :shrug:

i say this and i know nothing about coding so go easy on me :mrgreen:

Do you mean have the pit test in both ActiveX and something else? That would be a nightmare.

Edited by Cowboy3000

Sure it would be a nightmare.

Coding it in "two" different languages/API's and keeping both updated would be a royal pain in the :filtered:.

Java is the better choice in my opeinion, as it is cross platform, does not rely on proprietary applications that rely on proprietary browsers, that rely on proprietary operating systems, that rely on proprietary web pages that rely on..................

A simple comparison would be, the pcpitstop internet speed test, is the only internet speed test I have seen anywhere that requires activex for it's "upload" test.

In fact users of this very forum and some of it's administrators, when discussing internet speeds don't use the tests here to show their results, they use speedtest, or DSLReports bandwidth tests. Those tests are of course "java" based and work for everyone regardless of their operating system, or choice of web browser.

It's not a advertisement point of the main sites test utilities when members and admins are using other sites tests rather then pcpitstops.

Edited by Bruce

Tito,

I think it uses the same code as executing the same thing :shrug:

Guest badbinary

That one really made me laugh out loud! Have you ever watched someone type LOL and then they don't laugh?

lol

It's not a advertisement point of the main sites test utilities when members and admins are using other sites tests rather then pcpitstops.

Well said. I use them, but I have to grit my teeth every time I have to go dig IE up from the depths to do so.

Running IEtab, is nothing more then running IE underneath FireFox. It isn't much different then adding a new "skin" to IE. Not only are all the inherent problems of IE dragged into FireFox, but you essentially defeat the purpose of using FireFox as a more secure web browser.

I dunno why the mozilla folks did that, I still use mozilla (I know it's no longer supported, but I still like it) When I use the same tab in my mozilla browser, it opens IE in another window, and it's not within my mozilla browser

edit....say's view this page in IE

Posted Image

Edited by Joe C

In all fairness, I would like to point out that I mentioned the IE Tab over six months ago in the Tips 'n' Tricks forum here:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?show...=124997&hl=

I even PMed IntelGuy and chrenrob about it because I felt it was huge. Although the Pit and chengrob have been very good to me, I always felt that tip should have been a winner and was surprised when it wasn't.

:)

If you can control when the IE tab is active and as a result control the vulnerability, then that sounds like a pretty good trade off. I was hopping that was the case when I started reading this thread.