Sign in to follow this  
mel8again

How about a one click shutdown for XP

Right click on clear spot on the desktop and select New, Shortcut. You should now see a pop-up window to enter a command line path. Type in the box

SHUTDOWN -s -t 01

Click the Next button and give it a name like "OUTTA HERE" or whatever you want. You can also make or get an icon for it so it looks better. I have an internet keyboard so I linked mine to a button I don't use. I just push the button and it shuts down. This one works with XP.

I don't know where I got this one from.

:clap:

I don't know where I got this one from

Maybe right here.  There are at least three previous threads in Tips 'n' Tricks on this, possibly more on the other boards.

When I don't want to wait for the pc to shut down, I do it the quick way. I just unplug it from the power. 1 second shutdown.

No problems so far.

As Viking said it's easier to use keyboard instead of searching for the mouse and driving it to home :P

Use the following keys to shutdown, restart, stand by or even log off..... easier huh.

Shutdown : Windowskey+U+U

Restart : Windowskey+U+R

Standby : Windowskey+U+S

Log off : Windowskey+L+L

You don't need to wait for the first key to get a response and then second key and the third

In a matter of seconds you can do all three keys and the rest will be done by the machine. ( provided you pressed the right key)

Hi,

I've been using sudo's keyboard method for a long time; it's a lot quicker than having to grab the mouse to click a shortcut :)

Winkey, U, U, and it's done.

Shutdown : Windowskey+U+U

Restart : Windowskey+U+R

Standby : Windowskey+U+S

Windowskey + U starts the utility manager (utilman.exe)! And because the two first keystrokes starts this program, the third keystroke (U, R or S) have no effect.

Log off : Windowskey+L+L

This works, actually it doesn't log off properly, it locks the pc and goes to the logon screen. Type the password and it goes back in 1 second, all open applications are still open.

Windowskey + U starts the utility manager (utilman.exe)! And because the two first keystrokes starts this program, the third keystroke (U, R or S) have no effect.

It's Winkey, then U, then U again; the keys aren't held down.

ViKing must have held the key for long enough which instigates the Utility manager, well u need some experience :) ...Just kidding

ViKing must have held the key for long enough which instigates the Utility manager, well u need some experience :) Just kidding.

About the LockDown and LogOFF there is a difference

If you use Winkey + L only it locks down your account temperorly so that you can resume when you are back on the otherhand if you use Winkey + L + L then really closes all the session and starts afresh.

Hope it's clear :adios:

Edited by sudo

ViKing must have held the key for long enough which instigates the Utility manager, well u need some experience :) Just kidding.

About the LockDown and LogOFF there is a difference

If you use Winkey + L only it locks down your account temperorly so that you can resume when you are back on the otherhand if you use Winkey + L + L then really closes all the session and starts afresh.

Hope it's clear :adios:

Crystal clear :)

Cheers!

It's Winkey, then U, then U again; the keys aren't held down.

Winkey opens the Start menu.

U just produces an error sound, nothing happens.

It must be a language thing. No shortcuts have "U" as quick key.

Shutting of have "d" as quick key, but not alot happens when I press "d".

I must press Windows, "D", "D" (again), Return, and at last "A" to shut down.

That's not a "one click shutdown"... It's five keystrokes.

The easiest for me is to press Winkey with the left hand, then use the mouse to do the rest. ;)

good tips. incase you want to cancell the shutdown process once it's activated here it's.

start run then type shutdown(leave a space)-a

shutdown -a

it will can cell the shutdown process