Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Dells sagging sales

They took action in 99. Where were you then?

Bruce:

What will be the most interesting thing is to see if Dell is smart enough to give the people the things they want.

I think they won't, or if they do, it will be buried so deep on their web site it will be next to impossible to find, as their Linux options always have been in the past.

I think they will. They did before.

Their Linux options were burried in the past?

It was a check box next to the one for Windows.

Edited by Chopdoc

I was right here, I have been living here for 10 years :rofl3:

They were offering Linux on all their desktops and laptops in the United States pre-installed?

Care to show me that information? :rolleyes:

I am aware that they offered RedHat 6 on a very small select number of workstations, two of them to be precise, and that that option was not prominently displayed where anyone could find it in the options of those computers unless they knew specifically where to look and how to extract the information from their website. Not only that but they were charging $70 more for a Linux installation then the same machine with Windows NT Server installed on it.

Hey thats the way to keep them Linux users away, lets take a free operating system, and charge more for it then very expensive proprietary systems. :lol:

In 1999 I was right here at home test running RedHat 6 on a 133hz Intel computer, btw I got that copy of Redhat for free :P The idea being I was looking fro a cheaper alternative to windows, not a more expensive one.

There are many references.

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?...022-04-PS-BZ-RH

That means that Dell not only will preinstall Red Hat Linux on all desktops and servers--it's been doing that for about a year--but will sell consulting and development services for Linux, just as it does for Windows and NetWare. The companies have worked for months to make Linux part of the manufacturing process at Dell

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?...04-25-005-04-NW

LinuxWorld: Dell's Linux-loaded laptop - Other Linux models to follow

Apr 25, 2000

People weren't buying them, so the program got trimmed back to just the servers.

Credit where credit is due. :b33r:

I figured links to Linuxtoday would better avoid the cry of "propaganda".

Edited by Chopdoc

Of course people weren't buying them :lol:

They were charging more for them then they were for Windows NT. :blink::huh:

Gee Ima buy a computer with a freely available operating system for more then I would with an expensive proprietary system.......................where do I sign up :rofl3:

People are not stupid, well not all of us anyways. :mrgreen::lol:

Oh boy :rolleyes:

Why would anybody bother with the two laptops they installed it on when they were charging more then the expensive Windows NT? :lol:

I realize you think you are telling me something :lol:

But I can assure you I was aware at the time when Dell was doing this, not only aware of it, but if you were here in 2000 when I was using RedHat on two computers you would have read the threads that I was posting at that time about them offering it, and how they were charging more for it. ;) It was pretty easy stuff to find at that time, as we had nothing but General Discussions and User 2 User.

At that time I was doing a lot of research looking at all the different options that were available to the general public and the average consumer, and I can assure you that paying more for RedHat then Windows NT on expensive workstations and the most expensive two laptops was not a reasonable, viable or intelligent choice. That is exactly the conclusion Dell wanted people to come to, it assured that the project would die, and they could in effect say well we tried, when the reality is, they didn't try, they didn't make an honest effort, and they never intended too.

To expect that people would pay more for RedHat then Windows NT, is asinine. People didn't pay it, they wouldn't pay it, and Dell new this. If Dell didn't know this, then they are truly ignorant, and should stay very, very far away from open source solutions, as it is obviously not a solution they can offer with any reasonable implementation.

Edited by Bruce

I can't find a Linux laptop on any international Dell website, except for a few in Japan which offer Mandriva and Red Hat, they aren't really 'home' laptops though. They are a separate range from the others, they look cheap and don't have many features (Wireless, bluetooth) and they cost a fortune. It looks like there are only two available too.

Dell has acknowledged that 83,000 users have urged it to sell PCs with Linux pre-installed, but it has fallen short of accepting their suggestion.

As of Monday, more than 83,000 users had requested that Linux should be provided on all Dell PCs.

In a statement issued on its Web site, Dell said it had taken notice of the suggestions made on the IdeaStorm. But it stopped short of offering pre-installed Linux, and instead said it would certify some of its corporate machines with Novell's Suse Linux software.

http://msn-cnet.com.com/Dell+takes+small+s..._3-6162164.html

chopdoc, i asked to see a consumer level product. that is an arcaic BUSINESS laptop. still waiting to see what desktop and laptop unit for the consumer that dell sold.

I'm not sure you know what you are saying.

The "consumer" Dimension PCs are the same motherboards etc as the Optiplex line. The Inspiron laptops are the same motherboards etc as the Latitudes. In fact you can flassh the BIOS back and forth between the models.

Archaic business machine? They are the same machines as the "consumer" ones. I ought to know, the custom built by me C840 I am typing this on has also been an I8200 and an M50 at different points in its evolution. Merely a BIOS flash.

In fact, I advise anybody buying Dell to buy the "business" machines (Optiplex and/or Latitude, and not the "consumer" machines. Why? I think they historically have simply offered better values in those packages. The hardware is the same. In fact the Latitude laptop BIOS will often have capabilities that the Inspiron does not.

I don't remember at all what machine I might have linked to, but from your comment I have to assume you don't know Dell PCs at all.

Guest badbinary

I'm not sure you know what you are saying.

The "consumer" Dimension PCs are the same motherboards etc as the Optiplex line. The Inspiron laptops are the same motherboards etc as the Latitudes. In fact you can flassh the BIOS back and forth between the models.

Archaic business machine? They are the same machines as the "consumer" ones. I ought to know, the custom built by me C840 I am typing this on has also been an I8200 and an M50 at different points in its evolution. Merely a BIOS flash.

In fact, I advise anybody buying Dell to buy the "business" machines (Optiplex and/or Latitude, and not the "consumer" machines. Why? I think they historically have simply offered better values in those packages. The hardware is the same. In fact the Latitude laptop BIOS will often have capabilities that the Inspiron does not.

I don't remember at all what machine I might have linked to, but from your comment I have to assume you don't know Dell PCs at all.

**coughbull :filtered: cough**

there are some instances where that is true, but it is the exception, not the rule. ;)

My latest Dell experience was not happy.

My first Dell was OK (loaded with that slick new OS "Millennium") (hey, the one before that was a 386 that my kid had juiced up to 4 megs). After I learned that I could clean out most of the junk, I was happy with it.

This last time, however, all I wanted was a tower; my monitor, kb, and other peripherals were just fine. Well lemme tell ya -- getting that message across took a LOTTA time, and what I got cost just about what an entire system would have, and the results are mediocre at best. AND the sale code I had was for a business system, not a (euuhhh!) home set.

No. Not happy. But what are the options? HP? Last I heard, they were what Walmart and Office Depot sold instead of a REAL MAN'S computer. From the other entries in this topic, however, it would seem that HP has seen the light; verrrry interesting!

Yeah, I know that, in theory, I could roll my own, but this ain't "American Chopper" you're dealing with here; more like "Gramps goes to the Dodge dealership".

What exactly did you get and what exactly was the problem with it?

I am curious. Perhaps you can even post the service tag? That way we can see exactly what you ordered.

:)

Not that big a deal; I was just surprised at the "take it or leave it" attitude I got. They were interested only in pushing packages, not components.

Operating System System Model

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 2400

System Service Tag: 7SV3P71 (support for this PC)

Chassis Serial Number: 7SV3P71

Enclosure Type: Space-saving

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

2.40 gigahertz Intel Celeron

8 kilobyte primary memory cache

128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0F5949 A01

Serial Number: ..CN70821540SC.

Bus Clock: 400 megahertz

BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A05 12/02/2003

Drives Memory Modules c,d

36.13 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

27.95 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 [CD-ROM drive]

SONY USB-FDU USB Device [Floppy drive]

WDC WD400BB-75JHC0 [Hard drive] (40.00 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAMC4559416, rev 06.01C06, SMART Status: Healthy 766 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_1' has 256 MB

Slot 'DIMM_2' has 512 MB

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 36.13 GB 27.95 GB free

Network Drives

None detected

Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers

local user accounts last logon

local system accounts

Guest never

HelpAssistant never

SUPPORT_388945a0 never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account Amyuni PDF Converter 2.07 on LPT1:

HP DeskJet 930C/932C/935C on LPT1:

Controllers Display

Standard floppy disk controller

Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB

Primary IDE Channel [Controller]

Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller [Display adapter]

DELL M781s [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n 688EN17UEJ38, August 2001)

Bus Adapters Multimedia

Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD

Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2

Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4

Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7 SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

Communications Other Devices

Intel® 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

RAS Async Adapter

IP Address: 65.143.9.45 / 32

Gateway: 65.143.9.45

Physical Address: 00:53:45:00:00:00

Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Logitech USB Wheel Mouse

Sony USB Floppy

USB Root Hub (4x)

Virus Protection [back to Top]

Panda Antivirus + Firewall 2007 Version 6.00.02

Realtime File Scanning On

Missing Microsoft Security Hotfixes [back to Top]

All required security hotfixes (using the 11/14/2006 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary) have been installed.

Windows

SP1

IDNMITIGATIONAPIS on 11/14/2006 (Microsoft Internationalized Domain Names Mitigation APIs)

NLSDOWNLEVELMAPPING on 11/14/2006 (Microsoft National Language Support Downlevel APIs)

Click here to see all available Microsoft security hotfixes for this computer.

Marks a security hotfix (using the 11/14/2006 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary)

Marks a hotfix that verifies correctly

Marks a hotfix that fails verification (note that failing hotfixes need to be reinstalled)

Unmarked hotfixes lack the data to allow verification

Click here for Belarc's System Management products, for large and small companies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Click to see where software is installed.

a. Megahertz measurement may be inaccurate if other programs were busy during last analysis.

b. Data may be transferred on the bus at one, two, or four times the Bus Clock rate.

c. Memory slot contents may not add up to Installed Memory if some memory is not recognized by Windows.

d. Memory slot contents is reported by the motherboard BIOS. Contact system vendor if slot contents are wrong.

e. This may be the manufacturer's factory installed product key rather than yours.

Copyright 2000-5, Belarc, Inc. All rights reserved.

Legal notice. U.S. Patents 6085229, 5665951 and Patents pending.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heh, heh! You DID ask for it! I was merciful, and eliminated license and patch records....

Actually, this is all I was looking for:

System Summary

Service Tag: 7SV3P71

System Type: Dimension 2400

Ship Date: 6/8/2005

Dell IBU: Americas

Quantity Parts # Part Description

0 4X388 INSTRUCTION, PREP-MTL, DEVIATION, DIMENSION, INCREASE, NUMBER

1 K1136 PROCESSOR, 80531, 2.4G, 128K, 400, CELERON, DECISION ONE

1 7N242 KEYBOARD, 104, UNITED STATES, SILITEK, LOW COST, MIDNIGHT GRAY

1 W1668 KIT, MOUSE, PERSONAL SYSTEM 2, 2BTN, WHEEL, LOGITECH

1 J0201 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 400M, 32X64, 8K, 184

1 W6946 ASSEMBLY, COMPACT DISK DRIVE, 48X, HALF HEIGHT, SAMSUNG, CHASSIS 2005

1 1C225 HARD DRIVE, 40GB, I, 7.2K, WDXL80SD-2, LEAD FREE

1 T7166 KIT, SOFTWARE, WP-PRDCT-STE12, ENGLAND/ENGLISH, V2

1 X2749 MODEM, V.92, DATA FAX, INTERNAL, DONNY, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION

They were "pushing" packages? Well I would hope so. That's how these companies make more money. But you seem to have been able to buy what you wanted.

I understand you didn't want a mouse and keyboard, but they are free.

I've never had a problem ordering from Dell. Mostly I created my order online...but even when my rep was involved they never really pushed anything.

Obviously you have upgraded it some, and have had it nearly two years. No warranty left as of 9/6/2005.

What were they "pushing"?

You say it cost almost as much as a "whole system"...it is almost a whole system. The only thing missing is a monitor...and that wouldn't have cost too much to add anyway.

Well aparantly you never purchased the way "most" people do, because anyone I have spoken to about buying a DEll also says they were pushed into adding extras, upgrading this or that...........in the end most pay more then they had originally wanted because of pushy salesmen.

My Mother in Law started buying off the shelf computers at retail stores because of the Dell salesmen, and long waits for equipment she used to buy.

Well aparantly you never purchased the way "most" people do, because anyone I have spoken to about buying a DEll also says they were pushed into adding extras, upgrading this or that...........

Actually, I have...many times...that is if you mean calling Dell and having a credit card number ready, etc.

Most of my purchases were started online and never even involved my rep, but I have bought a number of times for people without using my corporate account and just by calling Dell. Why? Because they asked me to. They thought it would be hard or confusing. They learned it wasn't.

I have heard the same things you are telling me you have heard, of course I have. Heck, I am hearing them here. What I am saying is that I have bought many systems from Dell and never experienced such problems.

Perhaps what I experienced was simply not considered a problem by me but would be to another? Some people are more sensitive to such things perhaps?

I dunno. But Dell was #1 until recently, so I think they were probably getting it right a heck of a lot of the time. When poru bought his system, Dell was #1.

I think they may run into some trouble from Lenovo in the future. I know many businesses rock Thinkpads as laptops and if they keep the quality up I dont see why they wouldnt give Lenovos desktops a run in the future when I know many buy dells now.

The number of people requesting Linux pre-installed has exceeded 100,000 and Open Office is getting huge requests also.

It looks as though Dell is feeling the pressure.

Contrary to what others have said here, recent interviews with dell executives had this to say.

The only operating system that Dell currently offers on its PCs is Windows, with one exception, Lord said. It sells high-end Linux desktops designed specifically for use in oil and gas exploration, he said.

Now it remains to be seen what exactly they will do.

The PC maker said it received more than 100,000 customer requests for Linux in a "suggestion box" posted on Dell's Web site less than three weeks ago.

"We are listening to what customers are saying about Linux and taking it into consideration," said Dell spokesman David Lord. "We are going forward. Let's say, 'Certainly stay tuned."'

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17490286/

According to a recent article I read it is far more likely for the Novell certified hardware measures to be taken long before the pre installed Linux arrives.

Not so fast, basically.

Things are moving in the right direction though.

Contrary to what others have said here,

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17490286/

I haven't seen anybody contradict that.

He does say "currently".

The thing that Dell knows at this point that I am certain you do as well is that those 100,000 requests don't add up to 100,000 orders. In fact, quite far from it.

How many Linux preloaded systems do you think Dell would sell in the first month if they started selling them now? How about the first quarter? Maybe the first year? They know just as well as you and I that most of the geeks posting there won't be buying a Dell, and if they did they would most likely load their own Linux.

I know I wouldn't order one. Our corporate servers ran Linux, and they were Dells....but we loaded Gentoo while Dell would have loaded Redhat for us if we wished.

In spite of that, I feel certain it will be only months before they offer Linux preloads (for their third try at it). No doubt many will dislike the distro.