Sign in to follow this  
d0nut

Uploading a font.

I have used an Old English Text font on my index page, but find that the font is not installed on many PCs and cannot be seen by some users. How do I upload the font to the server?

As far as I know, the only way to get it to display correctly on other user's computers is if they have the font installed on their computer - it doesn't matter if you have it on your server. Even if you plan on having it as a download on your site, almost no one will download it. You're really better off sticking to a common font.

However, if it's for a minor thing, such as a header, you may want to make that text with a special font into an image. Don't go crazy with it though because you don't want to drastically increase the size of your page.

Jennifer

Hi,

You can have a look at this tutorial on embedding fonts -

http://www.webmonkey.com/webmonkey/design/.../tutorial2.html

Microsft's WEFT tool is available as a free download. The problem is, however, that your fonts need to be converted before they can be seen on your webpage into either Microsoft's Embedded Open Type files (.eot), or into Truedoc (.pfr) files, by Netscape and Bitstream. I have successfully embedded .eot files for viewing in IE before, but this was no use when the website was viewed in other browsers, such a Firefox. Unfortunately, Bitstream's software for converting the font I wanted to use into a .pfr file for viewing in Firefox/Netscape, was discontinued as a free download - see this link for more info -

http://www.bitstream.com/font_rendering/pr...edoc/index.html

Unfortunately I believe it is expensive to get the .pfr files created for you. I think that unless the font is used as an image in a small area of your site, such as the header, (which avoids the need for embedding), then you'd probably be better off using a more common font that you like, just as RammsteinNicCage mentioned. It saves a lot of hassle, and at least you can be almost certain others will view your webpage as you intended.

You also want to look out for any copyright violations that may occur when letting someone download a font from your website.

If it were me, I would use an image for a header if I needed "non-standard" fonts. Any lengthy text I would keep in a font easier to read. Something like either the standard Times-New Roman or a sans serif font like Arial, Verdana, or Tahoma.

Thanks for all the input. Here is the link http://www.ericrowland.co.uk/index.html The word Manchester should be in Old English. The computer which I checked on was at work, so maybe the problem is not as bad as I thought. If one or two of you could check it out for me, I would appreciate it. I am just re-hashing the site, so not too much criticism, please. :)

Hi d0nut,

I think your page looks fine as it is. Seems more trouble than its worth to worry about the one word "Manchester" showing in a particular font. If you particularly wanted this to show in Old English, then, as RammsteinNicCage mentioned earlier, you could create an image for your page header. This way your font would show regardless of whether or not the font was installed on the computers of those viewing the page.

I think the content is good for the type of family history site that you are creating, my only criticism would be that I don't particularly like the green band you have at the top of each page, but that is just my opinion.

I wouldn't worry too much about the font, as at the end of the day, with a site like this, the content is more important. As long as it can be easily navigated and read, then I think that matters more.

Good luck with your site.

Hi d0nut,

I think your page looks fine as it is. Seems more trouble than its worth to worry about the one word "Manchester" showing in a particular font. If you particularly wanted this to show in Old English, then, as RammsteinNicCage mentioned earlier, you could create an image for your page header. This way your font would show regardless of whether or not the font was installed on the computers of those viewing the page.

I think the content is good for the type of family history site that you are creating, my only criticism would be that I don't particularly like the green band you have at the top of each page, but that is just my opinion.

I wouldn't worry too much about the font, as at the end of the day, with a site like this, the content is more important. As long as it can be easily navigated and read, then I think that matters more.

Good luck with your site.

Many thanks for your observations. I'll do something about the band. Not exactly keen on it myself. Still a lot of work to do on the site. Just put it up to get it spidered as soon as possible. Edited by d0nut

Thanks for all the input. Here is the link http://www.ericrowland.co.uk/index.html The word Manchester should be in Old English. The computer which I checked on was at work, so maybe the problem is not as bad as I thought. If one or two of you could check it out for me, I would appreciate it. I am just re-hashing the site, so not too much criticism, please. :)

It's showing in Time-New Roman for me.