Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Windows - Planned Obsolescence

The most amazing thing to me is that people actually leave the windows restore option enabled.

It is the first thing I disable, quickly followed by allow remote connections.

Why would anyone let windows keep restore points swallowing up huge amounts of hard drive space and keeping restore points of the last know good virus :lol::geezer:

I keep Windows Restore points on, but I have it down to 1GB now, which gives me a couple of weeks. But more amazing is that Vista does not allow you to set the size of your restore directory.

You can to a certain point....

Q. How can I disable System Restore from monitoring a particular drive?

A. To disable System Restore from monitoring a particular drive, click Start followed by Control Panel and double click the System icon. Then click on the System Restore tab on the System dialog box. Depending on your disk setup, use the following instructions:

• Single partition: Clear the Turn off system restore check box to disable System Restore.

• Multiple disks or partitions: To prevent System Restore from monitoring a particular partition, click on the drive to disable and then the settings option. Clear the Turn off System Restore check box to disable monitoring the drive in question. You cannot disable monitoring of the system drive explicitly; you must disable System Restore for the entire system to prevent system drive monitoring.

Q. How can I set the amount of space System Restore uses on my disk?

A. Select Start, then Control Panel and double-click the System icon. Then click on the System Restore tab on the dialog box. Depending on your disk setup, do the following:

• Single partition: Adjust the space system restore uses on the disk by moving the slider left to decrease space usage, or right to increase space usage. The default maximum space usage is 12%.

• Multiple partitions or multiple disks: Click on the drive you want to adjust in the available drives section on the System Restore page and then click the settings option. You can then adjust the space system restore uses on that drive by moving the slider to the left to decrease space usage, or right to increase space usage. The default maximum space usage is 12%. Repeat for each drive as necessary.

Q. How do I determine the amount of space System Restore uses for restore points?

A. To determine the amount of space System Restore is using:

Click on Start, then My Computer

Select the Tools pull-down menu, click on Folder Options, and then select the View tab

In the Advanced settings option under Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files and folders and clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, then Click OK

Refer to the system drive where Windows is installed (C: for most users)

Double-click the System Volume Information folder

Right-click on the _restore directory and select Properties

The Size on Disk value is the amount of space System Restore is using for restore points

Repeat as necessary for other drives monitored by System Restore

If the computer is part of a domain and you do not have access to the System Volume Information folder, perform these additional steps following Step 4 above:

• Right-click the System Volume Information folder and click the Properties option

• Select the Security tab and add your username to the user/group list with access to this folder

• Click OK and continue with Step 5 above

The most amazing thing to me is that people actually leave the windows restore option enabled.

It is the first thing I disable, quickly followed by allow remote connections.

Why would anyone let windows keep restore points swallowing up huge amounts of hard drive space and keeping restore points of the last know good virus :lol::geezer:

I have it turned off on most of my computers. Sometimes, I'll turn it on and create a restore point before I install a new driver. For me, it's really a convenience factor. It's easier, if something gets hosed, to just do a restore. I don't leave it on all the time, though.

I followed the instructions above, and have reduced the percentage of space taken up for restore points on both my hard drives to 8%. I also discovered that restore points are now taking up 3.19 GB on my C drive (80GB) and 265 MB on my E drive (250 GB). I have two questions....

A - Having done this, should I put the tick back in the "Hide protected operating system files" check box,

B - Is there any point to (or way to) delete the older, unnecessary restore point info on my hard drives?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by Bobrinsky

A- Yes

B- The Disk Cleanup utility has an option to delete all but the most recent restore point.

I'm so glad PC Pitstop sent me info about this, I had no idea at all about it, just knew it was good to be able to do a restore!!

I have now reduced my restore points to 1% but I can't figure out how to delete the system restore points. When I click start, accessories, system tools, disc cleanup, all it asks is if I want to clean up drive C. I don't see "More Options" anywhere. ?????

Guest badbinary

an interesting and quite probable conclusion.

i just want to add that diskmd works excellent in vista. :tup:

system restore saved my :filtered: quite a few times after installing junk and beta drivers. on xp i had mine set to like 50% reserved for system restore, sometimes i'd restore to my first one instead of reinstalling or something, but with a 300gb hard drive i had plenty of room for it too.

i think the most space i have ever used on my hd was 37gb, dunno why i got a 300gb drive

in my windows days to achieve the best performance was simple, never store music/ video's/ on a system partition, keep everything where its suppose to be meaning no downloading stuff to a desktop.

my system partition was clean to the T, i created folders for my applications on separate partitions as well!

this kept the system partition clean thus lowering fragmentation and increased disk performance, it also helped with applications that wouldnt work "for what ever reason" they worked on a separate partition.

the registry cleaning is a whole new ballgame "i wont go there"

for restore points and disk space used is absurd, 8 gigs of space was used for my setup, i kept system restore off!

for those i help i suggest 400-600 megs used ;)

I was running VISTA RC2(5 Weeks) until October 5 06' I had enough!

People really,50% off programs you run now won't work for example your good old printer, Nero or your Graphic Card, don't forget about your Anti virus or ya Firewall Nothing has been written for Vista BECAUSE Third Partys are now not allow to access the Core meaning Any Third Party Program that trys to go into MS Core can't work this Includes OPEN SOURCE we will go Back woulds.Theres more..........do a Google read up

I say stick with XP.

Forget about Buying new stuff.There's no Drivers LOL

VISTA ready... Nothing is.

Regards

Splatflys

I was running VISTA RC2(5 Weeks) until October 5 06' I had enough!

People really,50% off programs you run now won't work for example your good old printer, Nero or your Graphic Card, don't forget about your Anti virus or ya Firewall Nothing has been written for Vista BECAUSE Third Partys are now not allow to access the Core meaning Any Third Party Program that trys to go into MS Core can't work this Includes OPEN SOURCE we will go Back woulds.Theres more..........do a Google read up

I say stick with XP.

Forget about Buying new stuff.There's no Drivers LOL

VISTA ready... Nothing is.

Regards

Splatflys

My graphics cards work, so does Nero 7, as for software not being allowed to hook into the kernel, that is as it should be, how it should always be, and is the proper way to handle third party applications. No third party application should ever be allowed to alter the core of the operating system (kernel). I have been testing it since RC1, and am now testing the the retail home premium version.

I have tested it on several different computers, and haven't run into any "major" stumbling blocks that couldn't be worked out. In fact in comparison to previous releases of Windows, this is indeed their best effort yet. It certainly isn't perfect, but then nothing is.

I am waiting for fully functional printer drivers, but in the mean time and using generic drivers that allow me to use the basic print functions of all my printers.

For a "new" release of windows, I might add very long overdue, it is off to decent start. In fact when compared to previous releases it's hardware detection is much better.

Seems people forget just how bad the previous releases were when they were "first" released because they have been using the same very old and tired, beat up 2000/XP code for 7 years now :lol:

All that said, I am probably one of the most outspoken people here when it comes to Microsoft's poor code, poor security, and extremely poor licensing agreements, and I happen to think that Vista is there best effort yet.

The biggest drawbacks are not the any of the things mentioned in this thread, the biggest, most invasive thing that is what I would consider it's "Planned Obsolescence" will be the DRM that is built into it. Nothing will do more harm, and do more to restrict, limit, and disable functionality more then the DRM built very deep in Vitsa. It is without a doubt for me, only second to the very restrictive licensing terms that will keep me from using after my testing is finished.

That should be about two weeks then I will be putting on a shelf.

Can't really blame M$ for the drivers issue, Vista's beta was out for several months and the hardware/software folks sat on their thumbs instead of getting the drivers ready for vista's release, Read somewhere that manufacture's were invited to redmond to get their hardware certified before vista's release.

As far as M$ making it so windows slowly builds up excess files and slows itself down....well how can anybody ever upgrade or buy a new pc if it still runs well from day one?

most peeps don't know or care enough clean up their pc's....they just want to drive and not do any maintance....ignorance is bliss

Can't really blame M$ for the drivers issue, Vista's beta was out for several months and the hardware/software folks sat on their thumbs instead of getting the drivers ready for vista's release, Read somewhere that manufacture's were invited to redmond to get their hardware certified before vista's release.

As far as M$ making it so windows slowly builds up excess files and slows itself down....well how can anybody ever upgrade or buy a new pc if it still runs well from day one?

most peeps don't know or care enough clean up their pc's....they just want to drive and not do any maintance....ignorance is bliss

I think most people are like me, they just don't know, I have had a pc now for over 10 years and never knew about the system restore taking up so much space on my pc. I have been trying to get mine cleaned up to make it run faster etc. Could you tell me how to find the "More Options" for the disc cleanup that is supposed to remove unneccesary restore points? When I click disc cleanup I just get a box that asks if I want to clean drive C.

I think most people are like me, they just don't know, I have had a pc now for over 10 years and never knew about the system restore taking up so much space on my pc. I have been trying to get mine cleaned up to make it run faster etc. Could you tell me how to find the "More Options" for the disc cleanup that is supposed to remove unneccesary restore points? When I click disc cleanup I just get a box that asks if I want to clean drive C.

You're right about that, most folks don't know and M$ isn't in any hurry to tell you either, Users have to find out for themselves. I don't have the book that comes with the retail copy of XP so I can't say for sure if they provide you with that info, But I do know that OEM manufacture's (compaq, dell, gateway...ect.) don't mention it to their new owners!!