Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Free Windows applications

Yes thats what I said free.

When I say free I don't mean shareware with add banners, or limited functionality, I don't mean time limited or restricted, and I don't mean warez sites or pirating.

These are 100% free applications, they are open source applications so not only are they free in cost, but they are free as in freedom. You can do anything you want with them.

There are applications just for just about anything you might want to do, from advanced graphics editing, 3D modeling, office suites, chat applications, CD and DVD applications, media players............the list goes on and on.

A full two web pages of free applications.

I do hope this helps out folks when seeking applications without paying an arm and a leg.

Enjoy :geezer:

http://www.opensourcewindows.org/

I see at the bottom of page 2 that the programs haven't been tested with Vista--hope you will keep reporting your mileage as you experiment with them.

Thanks for being our guinea pig :P

:tup:

Yes that is the site, with the recent attacks on the internets DNS servers it could be that it isn't available right now.

Yes that is the site, with the recent attacks on the internets DNS servers it could be that it isn't available right now.

Ok it works now. Thanks.. 5 starts for this.. one of the best links I've had so far. :)

Thanks for the link, Bruce.

Way back in preWindows days, I used to have fun with SkyGlobe. That was a long time ago, and since then I have missed not being able to print sky charts.

Celestia and Stellarium look like they could be a lot of fun.

Thanks Bruce! :tup:

I just found that WMP11 won't play DVD videos with Vista Business. Media Player Classic works beautifully :clap:

Yes thats what I said free.

When I say free I don't mean shareware with add banners, or limited functionality, I don't mean time limited or restricted, and I don't mean warez sites or pirating.

These are 100% free applications, they are open source applications so not only are they free in cost, but they are free as in freedom. You can do anything you want with them.

There are applications just for just about anything you might want to do, from advanced graphics editing, 3D modeling, office suites, chat applications, CD and DVD applications, media players............the list goes on and on.

A full two web pages of free applications.

I do hope this helps out folks when seeking applications without paying an arm and a leg.

Enjoy :geezer:

http://www.opensourcewindows.org/

Yep, the only one I had any difficulty with was VLC.

That's a bloody shame... Do you know why VLC has problems? Something to do with codecs, or ??

Another site (though somewhat outdated now) is http://gnuwin.epfl.ch

It at least gives you the names of programs as well as their homepages so that you can get the most recent windows versions.

I find that it is also helpful, when looking for programs, to search Google for "open source X" (where X is the type of program, ie editor, media player, office, etc).

Another find that I really enjoy now is foobar2000 which is a music player. I'm not part of the "iPod club" (and never will be) and I simply find players like iTunes and WMP too annoying and slow even on my machine. foobar opens up quickly, does everything I need it to and gives me no hassle. It's not very pretty though ;) (It is a clean interface, however)

Ah... And I just checked the site in Firefox and IE and it says "Under Construction" and where there are usually links, I couldn't click on anything... Strange...

Rinias