Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Comparing openSuSE Linux to Vista Home Premium

OK for the sake of my sanity I will make the comparison to Vista ($259) and openSuSE (free), and what works and what doesn't. Not trying to bash one or the other just a simple comparison.

Laptop HP 2037us Entertainment PC

Things that work in Vista out of the box or with additional software.

Sound/Modem (drops out and requires full reboot after hibernation)

Video driver Intel ®.......Aero 3D works with this card

Built in Card reader

Built in WebCam

Touchpad

DVD Burner (added lightscribe software)

Ethernet

Wireless

Firewire

USB

HP included Remote Control

Things that did not work in Vista including my external devices even after trying to install third party software

HP 3210 all in one network printer

HP D5160 CD Printer

Hauppauge WinTV USB2

Hauppauge HVR 950 HDTV

Microphone

HP Quick Touch Buttons

Fn Keys

Media Center ( won't work with my WinTV/HVR devices )

WinTV crashes

Network Center refuses to see all the computer sharing files using the Windows based smb protocol ( They can be mounted manually )

Sees two MythTV Media machines but can not access them

On the OpenSuSE side

Things that work in OpenSuSE out of the box or with additional software

Sound

Video driver Intel ® Beryl 3D desktop works with this card

Built in Card reader

Built in WebCam (added driver)

Touchpad

DVD Burner (added lightscribe software)

Ethernet

Wireless

Firewire

USB

HP 3210 all in one network printer

HP D5160 CD Printer

Hauppauge WinTV USB2

Microphone

HP Quick Touch Buttons

Fn Keys

Network all computers on my network are visible and shares accessible

KDETV

TvTime

Things that did not work in OpenSuSE including my external devices even after trying to install third party software

Modem (Needs Linuxant driver $19.95) I won't pay for it because I don't need it.

----------------------

All in all I like Vista, the interface is nice, UAC is a huge step in the right direction, and I am positive that it won't take long for the manufacturers of my devices to pony up and make drivers. The non functioning devices isn't the big drawback for me.

It is the license restrictions and over all costs. $159 (upgrade version) and $39.95 for Windows Live One Care.

In all honesty if it were not for the restrictive DRM, licensing and costs I could most certainly live with this OS on all my computers. With the number of computers I have, I simply couldn't bring myself to spend the money. I almost cried spending the $200 that I did just to test it on "one" computer.

-------------------

I love openSuSE, it's free, the interface is great, and the amount of software included or available for install in YAST (thats the control panel for windows folks) is incredible. The licensing is "open", there is no DRM, and the OS is free to download. All my hardware functions fully with it, and it just works.

It is the open source license, lack of restrictions and over all cost that just keeps me coming back to it.

--------------

The end result, I like both operating systems, I could easily live with either one of them for my daily computer use.

I take no issues with OS's themselves, both are fine systems.

My preference is openSuSE. The deciding factor for me is cost, lack of restrictions, and no DRM. These are licensing issues.........

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Bruce

Bruce,

Did you put both operating systems on the same machine? If so, how did they compare in performance? When I compare XP to Windows 98, and the fact that my system is so much faster, it seems like the hardware improvement never translates into a faster computer.

Rob,

I had been running the free download of openSuSE on the laptop for a couple months now and have been very, very happy with it. So happy that I recently ordered the retail box set, not because I needed it, but because I want to support Novells commitment to Linux.

Anyways I bought Vista, and installed it on that same Laptop.

They both performed extremely well, as I would expect, it is an Intel Duo Core processor with a gigabyte of Ram, a 100 gig hard drive, and Dual Layer DVD/CD burner with LightScribe.

If an operating system can not perform well on that laptop then I certainly don't want it.

Both OS's can run their perspective 3D interfaces, Aero on the Vista side and Beryl on the Linux side. Neither 3D interface taxed the system. In fact I was shocked at how well it performed with all the eye candy turned on in both OS's.

I love the laptop :tup:

openSuSE will be getting installed back on it later today, and Vista will be moved to a spare machine that I have.

All in all Rob, licensing, cost and DRM aside I reallly like Vista, and am hoping that people do not disable UAC, it is indeed a needed thing for Windows, and seems to have been improved greatly since the beta and RC releases.

I will also post my results from the install on the spare desktop system, as soon as I get it all done.

That is an AMD 3200+ 64 bit processor, with Nvidia Geforce 6100 onboard graphics, 1 gig of Ram, DVD/CD/Lightscribe, 200 gig sata 300 hard drive.

Certainly not state of the art stuff, but pretty decent hardware, representative of budget computers available today. It cost me a little over $300 to build it.

Bruce,

How can you say that you like Vista when your printer doesn't even work? Given all the DRM in Vista, and it seems like you have a TV card, I would think that Linux is a much better solution for you.

Guest badbinary

the printer not working isn't a vista issue, it's an issue with hp not getting drivers available. i'm in the same boat, and have given hp a piece of my mind on several occasions.

microsoft is not responsible for providing drivers for third-party products, although it certainly is nice they do.

Bruce,

How can you say that you like Vista when your printer doesn't even work? Given all the DRM in Vista, and it seems like you have a TV card, I would think that Linux is a much better solution for you.

I can make the printer work through it's web interface, being a network printer it has a web page offering very basic printing, or if I plug it in I get very "basic" functionality, but no where near capable of everything it can do, scan, copy, print all over the network. I am not concerned about it 1, because this is nothing more then an OS to test with, 2 I know HP will have drivers available, and 3 my main desktop is where I do my printing from.

The DRM, is always one of the biggest concerns for me, as I refuse to let any company restrict what I can and can not do with my multimedia files and the tv tuners not working is a huge drawback, especially considering the HVR 950 goes everywhere the laptop goes. Again I do prefer SuSE and it is being installed on the laptop right now.

Vista will be going on a test computer and staying there, it won't be controlling my multimedia, it won't have access to my database of files, it may get it's own copy, but I won't let it have access to the database of 50 gigabytes of music and 200 gigabytes of DVD quality movie recordings that are on my MythTV machine.

I never said I prefered Vista over SuSE, I said I liked Vista but openSUSE would be my choice.

Both are decent systems, but for the things I do, mostly multimedia, 7 desktop computers and 2 laptop computers SuSE is the better choice for all the reasons I listed in the first post of the thread.

For day to day, daily internet browsing and email, photo organization............Vista is acceptable, and I like it, but the one copy I bought will be the last :lol:

Edited by Bruce

One in the living room (MythTV) hooked to my 53 inch HDTV.

One in the bedroom (MythTV) hooked to my 32 inch LCD HDTV

One on my wifes desk, her daily computer use.

Two on my desk, for my daily computer use.

My laptop, obviously for when I am away from home ( needed to avoid withdrawal symptoms ).

Wifes Laptop, obviously for when she is away from home, or at work.

One desktop in my bedroom for when annoying people come to the house and I need to escape away from them :lol:

One is nothing but a guinea pig/test computer for testing beta operating systems and software. That will become the Vista computer, and stay that way.

The last, well it is currently sitting there, waiting for me to do something with it.

I was thinking about installing openSuSE on it and giving it to someone. Maybe give it to someone here at PcPitstop who could really use a newer computer.

Guest badbinary

I was thinking about installing openSuSE on it and giving it to someone. Maybe give it to someone here at PcPitstop who could really use a newer computer.

excellent idea. :tup:

It's nice to have more than one computer.

I have several as well.

1. Home Theater PC front-end set up in the living room.

2. File Server, HTPC Back-end, Team-Speak, Streaming Video Server, Web Server, MySQL server in my office,

3. My gaming rig

4. Spare gaming rig (I may sell to a friend)

5. Daughters computer

6. Test machine for Windows Server 2003

7. Test machine for Linux

8. Encoding work station - dual boot to WinXP and Suse 10.2

9. Laptop

10. Wife's computer

Thank goodness that they aren't all on at one time. I don't think I could afford the power bill. My wife likes to count her three TIVOs as computers, but whatever.

Most of the computers are left-overs from an Upgrade. My wife's computer and the laptop are both from Dell, but the others are built by me.

Guest badbinary

i have

my computer, used for gaming, multimedia, and network storage...will soon be turned into htpc when i can afford a few basic parts.

wife's computer, used mainly for work, but also for some minor gaming.

used to have server for a domain environment, but that has since been decommissioned and will be a second work computer for my wife's assistant she just hired.

fourth computer coming as soon as we can afford it (which may be quite a while :lol:) for the kids, homework, multimedia, and gaming.

Here in Brazil, I have 4 laptops. Yes, I brought them all in my suit case.

My main laptop - email, web browsing, and hooking to my TV's for Slingbox

My wife's laptop - web browsing, photo shop

Study laptop - Printer and media server

Spare laptop - Used for Slingbox

But back on topic. Who intends to upgrade to Vista? I don't plan to upgrade any of mine to Vista.

Guest badbinary

i've already upgraded. all of my systems will be vista for three main reasons: the parental control features, it's integral to my career, and it's integral to my wife's career.

Guest Trackrat

Well I am left feeling inferior, :shrug: as I only have two computers, my main one running Linux Mint and the second one which I use for experimenting on, at the moment it is running Vista RC2 and Fedora 6.

Here in Brazil, I have 4 laptops. Yes, I brought them all in my suit case.

My main laptop - email, web browsing, and hooking to my TV's for Slingbox

My wife's laptop - web browsing, photo shop

Study laptop - Printer and media server

Spare laptop - Used for Slingbox

But back on topic. Who intends to upgrade to Vista? I don't plan to upgrade any of mine to Vista.

I believe their will be many people who will upgrade.

Enthusiasts

People who have to have the latest no matter what the cost

People who love to help others with problems

Gamers looking for the next big thing

People who buy a new computer every couple years or when Windows gives them too many problems.

In short, about 80% of the population will upgrade "eventually" including you Rob, as the next time you buy a computer it will come with Vista

I will, but it's a question of when. I may upgrade my gaming computer when all the hardware drivers are done. This includes support for SLI on my two 7900GTs and a driver for my Areca 1210 RAID driver. That's the main reason I took it back off. I haven't decided yet if I'll just wait until a DX10 game comes out. I don't know. :shrug:

I've been contemplating installing either Vista or Suse on my laptop. I may do Vista, but I'd like to up the memory. I have many e-mails in Outlook that I'd like to save. If I could figure out a way to import those into an e-mail client, then I may seriously consider Suse for it.

I do have an MSDN subscription provided to me from where I work, so I won't actually be paying out of my pocket for it.

If I change the OS on any of my other computers, it will be to Linux. I have no idea if or when I will do that.

Edited by Cowboy3000

The last, well it is currently sitting there, waiting for me to do something with it.

Someday, I would love to try an alternative operating system, and that one sounds great Bruce B)

I don't plan on updating to Vista Premium because most of the features are things I wouldn't use. Vista Business, on my laptop, is the perfect place for this OS.

I only have 4 computers, one is an old 98se and it's in the barn...I'm sure it's ruined from the moisture by now...so no updating it. My other two are desk tops with XP home and they couldn't handle Vista. One could take XP pro, but the other is the first year XP was opened to the market.

i never had one problem with suse and hardware detection, in fact back in my dual boot days i tried installing a new wireless card for my desktop, i tried installing it in windows first but i could never get it to work, i got a driver signing warning but the product specified it was for 98/me/xp, it didnt mention linux!, i threw in my hat and booted to suse and it detected the card and loaded the module, you guys call them drivers :)

the card was a no name brand with an ADMtek chipset, it cost me 15 bucks.

I have tryed vista for a couple weeks, but, it's has no right driver to my video card and wi-fi. I have two computers, one desktop (WXP SP2 PTBR, and one laptop, I had vista on my laptop, and, it's works nice, I have some problems with drivers, and another old programs.

I'm thinking about use linux, I have no good experience with it.

Installed it on a desktop computer.

WinTVGO will not work

Wireless adapter was a no go, had to completely remove it from the computer to stop it from crashing anything to do with the network in Vista. Just weird the things it did.

Once the wireless card was removed, things ran OK again.

This morning Vista/Live One started its tune up routine.

It took slightly more then two hours, to complete.

It has been a lot of years since I had to scan for viruses and malware, and defragment a hard drive :thud::surrender:

I do believe I might be selling the Vista disk in the very near future.

My wife likes to count her three TIVOs as computers, but whatever.

Your wife is a very smart lady, and obviously knows a computer when she sees one ;)