Sign in to follow this  
Zat_AJ

What is it with me, and my 1.1.1.1 IP?

Hi.

I've recently become victim of one of those nasty MSN viruses (I know, I'm a n00b). Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've gotten rid of the virus, it was part of "Winlogon.exe" startup.

That's not the issue.

My problems is, ever since this virus problem, my computer seems to be blocking certain web pages. Most of the pages I've noticed being blocked have been general spyware/virus scanning sites (avg, ewido, other random sites like that). When I open my command prompt (Start-->Run, type "CMD") and ping one of these blocked websites, I get an IP address off 1.1.1.1. Obviously that's not the site's IP. So, I went to my other computer and I can get to the websites fine, and ping them fine. I got the IP address of ewido (just to test) directly and tried typing it into my web browser. I can get there fine. So, I can browse every website by IP, but some websites URLs will not work and are giving the general "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error with an IP address of 1.1.1.1 with a ping reply of "Request Timed Out."

I've tried clearing my TCP/IP settings and restarted my computer, but the problem persists. (Also did the ipconfig/flushdns and then renew thingy.) I've heard rumors of a file on your computer that you can change that will allow you to set URLs to you what you want. In essence, a personalized DNS file for your computer. Example: Set the file so that when you type in "Google.com" into a web browser, it will actually take you to "www.cow.com."

I think this is where the problem could be, although I'm not quite sure. Could the virus have changed this file to set AVG and other virus protecting websites to the IP address of 1.1.1.1? What can I do to get rid of this annoying issue of random URL blocking? (Yes, I've tried other browsers.)

Thank you so much for your time.

-AJ

Edited by Zat_AJ

Ok, I just did that (yes I did it in safe mode).

When I first restarting my computer in regular mode after the scanner finished, the pages were working, but within seconds I was back to my "Problem loading page" and "The Page Cannot Be Displayed." (Ping showed up ... that's right... 1.1.1.1.)

Urg! What could be causing this network mayhem?

the malware you have wasn't gotten rid of. you fixed the symptom, but because the source wasn't removed, it took back over.

i suggest you head on over to the hijack this (HJT) section of the forum for advice on running this program to help you out.

Ok.. Thanks for the advice.

For anyone else stumbling upon this topic in the future with the same problem. Just to let you know, I found the problem.

I found the file I was talking about.

http://www.retnuh.com/security.htm

It is considered malware and takes over your host file. "Redirective Hosts" will usually block out antivirus sites. Go to the above URL for more info.

Thanks jojesa and wdeydwondrer for the replies. Problem solved.