Sign in to follow this  
shadowfox

Dead Jump Drive

I have a Lexar Jump drive with alot of data for tests and study guides and so on, no recoverable unless i type it all up agian, which is very time consuming.

The Drive Died this morning while plugged into the computer. The Usb connector moves around alot on the drive and I have tried plugging it into other computers. I suspect that a connection is dead that the memory is still Good. Does anyone or has anyone every attempted and been successful at repairing or transfering the memory of the drive to another drive or repairing it. The computer doesn't currently recognize the drive at all. Any Help and solutions offered is Greatly and i mean GREATLY appreciated.

:thud::thud::thud:

Thanks agian. , oh and any questions about the situation don't hesitate to ask.

The Drive is also more than a year old.

Edited by shadowfox

well, you can send the drive into the manufacturer or an independent recovery company to have the data recovered, or you can try to figure out exactly what the problem is and fix it yourself.

but seriously, unless you have knowledge of electronics repair or have a lot of money to spend on data recovery, then you've lost your data.

this is why i maintain a constant backup of my thumb drives.

Well for the simplicity of the post i quote it as my drive, but really its a friends, and I have I would say well knowledge of electronic repair or enough to follow even vague directions, I'm just wondering what others have done, Thanks agian for the post

And im not sure of how a jump drive is structured as to the fact that can the memory even be transfer to a good drive?

Edited by shadowfox

If anyone can relate to this post, It doesn't look like there are any screws so im just going to carefully pull both sections appart. I'm going to have to wait a bit, Also i just plan to get the drive working long enough to get the data off of it.

Well I opened it up and a little chip, looked like it was a power converter, or conditioner of some sort that had falled off, I set it back in its place (it was previously soldered) and put it in, transfered the files to a new drive, and now i plan to re soder the chip back in place.

Hope this can help somone who maybe encounters simular problems, and thanks for the encouragement and advice. I would've probably dug into it right away if it was my data but it was somone elses so i always use alittle more caution.

Thanks agian.