Sign in to follow this  
mikeb77

Computer shuts down unexpectedly

I have a P4 3.4 GHz with 1GB ram, WinXP Home, ATI 9600 video card and a Audigy 2 ZS sound card. With a Sony CD drive, Sony DVD drive, Maxtor 120GB harddrive, a zip drive, floppy drive, a media card reader, 4 80mm fans and a processer fan. All this is run with a 450W power supply. I run this computer 24/7 while surfing, downloading, playing music, buring CD/DVDs and running apps I don't have any problems. I have a couple of games (NFSMW & World Series of Poker TOC). I play these for 5 or 10 minutes and then my computer just shuts off. I'll restart and it shuts off before it gets through the start up process. I can start later (15min) and boots up normally. Any ideal what is wrong?

Very Likely it's an overheating issue thus when it cools down you can restart. To test for overheating open the side of the case be sure to clean all the dust bunnies out then leaving the case open put a small fan blowing into the case. If you can play the games without the shut down then overheating is your problem.

I don't have another PSU.

I don't get a blue screen, it's like you pull the plug out of the wall. all lights out

Today I ran MS update and it did the same thing, lights out

I'm going to clean out my dust bunnys, I will let you know if that helps

Thanks for your help

Mouse,

You were right. it was an overheating problem. I've cleaned the dust out before, but I never cleaned the heatsink. I removed the heatsink and it was packed with dust. Problem solved.

Thanks, Mikeb77

Also, it can be when a computer is fried that will shut down the computer after 10 seconds (It happened to my graphics card twice). It really sucks when that happens.