Sign in to follow this  
ChrisR

My First Time

Well I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Playstation 3 about a month ago...I've finally taken it one step further!! I downloaded Yellow Dog 5 and it is now installing! I'm so excited! I know NOTHING about linux...how difficult is it gonna be to learn how to use this OS?

in order to use windows you had to learn how to use it, same thing applies to any operating system!

your question was "how difficult is it gonna be to learn how to use this OS"

not difficult at all, browse around the os and get an understanding where everything is and what those tyhings do, then progress from there, but being formuliar with your system is key

if theres something you dont understand just ask here :)

Success!!

I couldn't even figure out how to take a screenshot...:lol: But I took some pictures.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/chr...88/IMG_0666.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/chr...88/IMG_0669.jpg

I'm gonna be spending so much time with this...I thought my thirst for computer knowledge was gone but it's back in full swing. I love learning!! :mrgreen:

hit the print screen key on your keyboard

im not shure because there are too many linux operating systems and there not all exactly the same.

im using suse 10.2 and heres an image http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/duane.../snapshot16.png

its high res though :)

what are your system specs?

Haha... then what after print screen? I'm used to edit>paste. :lol:

I've used/mastered Windows and DOS....so not new to computers at all. This is just something new for me.

It's actually a Playstation 3 this is running on.... very cool way to get another computer.

Hey, ChrisR, Welcome to Linux :adios:

That sounds like a sweet system you've got there. I'd like to try it out.

I was reading about it here. http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/playstation-three.htm

Uh Oh. it runs on a PowerPC Chip, should this be in the Apple MAC forum? :mrgreen:

I'm wondering if Ubuntu would run on it, I know they have a MAC/Power PC version.

EDIT: yeah, its a cool project, its sponsord by Sony too! Not some hack like the Xbox thing.

Edited by Flying Caveman

Yes, I suppose I should of said "For Apple Macintosh G3, G4, and G5 computers, including iBooks and PowerBooks."

but excluding the MacBook family -->MacBook/MacBook Pro/Mac mini/iMac/Mac Pro featuring intel processors.

:mrgreen:

I don't keep up with these things.

I don't know and don't care about any of the iPods

Edited by Flying Caveman

Caveman, iPods are mp3 players, not computers.

The PS3 is not a powerpc, it may be based on it but that doesn't really mean a thing. You won't be able to just go install Mac OS on it, or some random version of Ubuntu PPC. Drivers don't grow on trees. ;)

I heard Sony won't release specs on the graphics card, so a real driver for it can't be written? No 3d acceleration in the meantime...

Edited by xXenXx

Caveman, iPods are mp3 players, not computers.

The PS3 is not a powerpc, it may be based on it but that doesn't really mean a thing. You won't be able to just go install Mac OS on it, or some random version of Ubuntu PPC. Drivers don't grow on trees. ;)

I heard Sony won't release specs on the graphics card, so a real driver for it can't be written? No 3d acceleration in the meantime...

I was just goofing around about the iPods :P

but look, its already been done. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=3...p;highlight=PS3

your right though, its easier said than done.

It's actually a Playstation 3 this is running on.... very cool way to get another computer.

:cheers: YOW! I like that ChrisR. I was wondering how easy it would be to burn a cd with that set up, or maybe network with pc or?

I'm eager to hear all about it. Thanks.

I'm reading your links too Flying Caveman. :tup: