Sign in to follow this  
shogan191

The cost of operating

There are several in my area, including the local CompUSA. They have been offering Linux installs there for a couple years :tup:

LUGS are everywhere, and I am willing to bet if you googled a LUG in your area you would find one.

So yes I think there are plenty of shops with "competent" personnel. Of course if you don't seek them out, you don't find them.

i spoke with a few at best buy that do it on the side, there out there scattered about :)

lols you would never think those computer section personel would know this much, i was wrong when i thought no one else knew about it, in fact i was at best buy for over an hour discussing linux and exchanging information :)

sho i have a question, what would be your intentions/ what would you do if you couldnt reinstall vista as many times as you wanted?

sho yyou never answered my question :mrgreen:

edit: i must throw in some reading for you sho, i think you will experience safe mode with low resolutuion because of added security, this may or may not affect you but its still an interesting read

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+tries+to+sto..._3-6143823.html

Edited by duanester

Not sure I completely understand your question but if I couldn't install Vista like I am installing XP now then there would be no reason for me to buy it. Unless of course it was required for business. Is that what you are asking? I'd just stay with XP.

I understand Bruce and Duanester what you are saying, but understand what I am saying also! Nobody wants Linux, we offer system with no operating systems for those that do and that is their choice. Unlike Linux, the customer can deal with MS with any problems with Windows and not me!

Unfortune to your beliefs, Windows is the most highly requested operating system by most all customers.

Including businesses. I know we are taking off pretty good, and my collegues also agree not to deal with Linux unless it is customer requested or the person wants a system w/ no operating system. Those that purchase systems w/o operating systems are offered links to linux.

We are not forcing Windows down anyones throat, it is just what everyone wants, and what is requested.

;)

back to the cost of operating, i would hope that sho didnt have to buy another license for hardware changes, like motherboards, however at the end of this month i believe we will know, i do think you will have some problems with major overhalls, something limited in that category :mrsgreen:

I don't beleive this is the case, hopfully not! I don't really think MS would be that limitited and make such a drastic change from all their other operating systems. They would stand to loose millions of dollars and that doesn't make good business sense!

It is truly amazing to me that such large corps have not made the change to linux since it is so much better.

Intel, Texas Instruments, Samsung, AMD, Air Products & Chemicals, IBM, Dell, HP, just to name a few , all use Windows based systems for years for their enterprise, and continue to upgrade to the latest Windows based systems. Also now most of them are using Windows based SAP systems. Altough SAP is available for Linux, but must go through many test to qualify, these Corps are not using it but rather use MS based SAP systems.

Can you tell us why?? :blink:

Are they all less educated than you and Bruce and prefer to be on a system that they will loose billions of dollars on? It don't add up or make any sence at all.

Maybe thats why Bill Gates is one of the most richest men in the world, he knows how to brain wash the most succcesfull company's in the world! :rofl2:

Intel, Texas Instruments, Samsung, AMD, Air Products & Chemicals, IBM, Dell, HP, just to name a few , all use Windows based systems for years for their enterprise, and continue to upgrade to the latest Windows based systems. Also now most of them are using Windows based SAP systems. Altough SAP is available for Linux, but must go through many test to qualify, these Corps are not using it but rather use MS based SAP systems.

Are they all less educated than you and Bruce and prefer to be on a system that they will loose billions of dollars on? It don't add up or make any sence at all.

Maybe thats why Bill Gates is one of the most richest men in the world, he knows how to brain wash the most succcesfull company's in the world! :rofl2:

Well you really better start doing your homework a little better, or get a better grasp on what is happening in the computer world.

The companies you mentioned all used Unix, and a few of them have their own version of Unix. HP and IBM are staunch supporters of Linux and IBM uses and sells it on their servers :lol: They are replacing their Unix servers with Linux servers ;)

I don't beleive this is the case, hopfully not! I don't really think MS would be that limitited and make such a drastic change from all their other operating systems. They would stand to loose millions of dollars and that doesn't make good business sense!

It is truly amazing to me that such large corps have not made the change to linux since it is so much better.

I would say it's the learning curve. If you employ 5,000 employees, then most likely they know how to use Windows. How much would it cost to "train" these people to use a different operating system? For some technical people, this isn't that big of a deal. However, there are a lot of people out there who function only by routine. They tend to freak out if that routine is changed. "I click here, here, and here. Then I'm done. What? You want to change my icon?!? OH MY GOD!!! I WON'T KNOW WHERE TO CLICK!!!"

I worked at one place where at one time they had a Novell network. That was eventually phased out and replaced by a Windows network. However, the e-mail system stayed the same. They used Groupwise. We tried and tried to convince them to go with using Exchange and Outlook. We (the IT Department) thought it was better and easier to use. They wouldn't do it because there would be too much of a leaning curve to get everyone up to speed. This company was less than 200 people using computers.

Edited by Cowboy3000

you need to look long term, not short term. over the course of 5-10 years, the cost of training employees is more that paid for by the lower costs of running linux.

At my last job, they had went through a software audit. Of course, the most expensive items were the servers and SQL server. Just going through that alone made me want to change everything to Linux. If they were starting their web apps from scratch, that would have been what I would have went for.

The companies you mentioned all used Unix, and a few of them have their own version of Unix. HP and IBM are staunch supporters of Linux and IBM uses and sells it on their servers :lol: They are replacing their Unix servers with Linux servers ;)

Oddly enough, when I was at lunch today, they had a TV on turned to ESPN2. I noticed a Dell commercial where they said, "Dell is the #1 distributors of Linux based servers." or something to that affect.

Well you really better start doing your homework a little better, or get a better grasp on what is happening in the computer world.

I happen to work for one of the companies I listed above. We have 20,000 employees world wide. We tossed out the Unix servers back in 2003 we we went world wide and got rid of MXP and went to SAP.

All of our servers in China, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, and Europe (not to mention the US) are all Windows based Servers running SAP. We do business everyday with the other mentioned companies I have listed and know exactly what they are running.

I think you need to do your homework! :shifty:

Thanks for the info BB. :tup:

LOL, it's hard not to get into the mines bigger than yours mentality. It seems like things are a little closer competatively in the server market. Is that the case?

nice try bb, if i were to buy stock today, a year from now i would be rich, look at what they did today lols, who cares about the past, this is the turning point

hey i only have to say one thing, its worth investing in novell

it took a wile for me to post because i layed out all the projections, though i wont even go there, if you think its a loss thats fine, i dont see it as so :)

edit: bb take a guess what novell will do with 350 million dollars, when you can answere that im sure you will stop yakin about 3 bucks lols

Edited by duanester

i'd invest in apple, however they say successful investors dont invest in cool products plus they done lost thier first mover advantage years ago, but then again theres iphone...doesnt matter i'm poor

i like allof apples stuff, except itunes and the fact steve jobs still exists, too bad their os is lack of gaming support or i'd be all mac'ed out

but bb, what other letter of the alphabet would work better than I? z, o, b?...nah..well maybe X, yeah i like x better

xtunes or xpod..i'll make my own apple ripoff company called snapple

did you know that suse enterprise desktop 10 has been downloaded more then a half million times since its release :mrgreen:

its still happening, that doesnt include the entire country of india

i work for a company that makes yours look tiny. we used to have mostly windows servers, but now 80-90% of them are linux to help cut costs overall.

and this is for a company that gets windows for (almost) free.

Hmmm! Well stocks are up and down!

Heres my little company: Lets see yours! http://finance.aol.com/quotes/air-products...&se=default

And when i first started they were only $37 a share!